Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Military Challenge Coins

StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking through my collection for something to share and this was the best I could do tonight. These are my military challenge coins I accumulated during my 8 years in the Air Force. There is one member here I found out recently that I was stationed with - so consider our common coin dropped image

If you don't know, you typically bought or was presented one at each base, unit, or temporary duty assignment. If a person at your table (usually at a formal dinner function, or at the Airman/NCO/Officers club) bounces their coin on the table, you had to answer the challenge by dropping yours. If someone at the table forgot theirs and couldn't answer the challenge - they bought a round. If everyone at the table answered the challenge then the originator of the challenge bought the round.

Some are more intricate than others - one is from the Liberty Mint, some are from local shops depending where we were stationed. I probably lost about 15 others, but here's what I have. Post yours if you have one.

Edit to clarify the tradition a bit.
------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options
    I'd answer your challenge but all my coins are at work in my office. I have a bunch.

Guess I'll buy the first round.

I haven't seen the Marines do much of this anymore, except within their own squadron. When I first went to Iwakuni Japan in '96 as a civilian it was prevalent. You didn't dare go in the base club without a unit coin. I walked back to my BOQ room many times before going to the club when I realized I didn't have it with me. Saved me some big bucks a couple of times.

This is a dying tradition. Damned kinder, gentler military.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    I got out in '99 and didn't realize it was slowly disappearing. It sure was fun though. I was in Korea from 94-95 and it was huge there, but then again about all we did was drink it seemed.

Usually the challenges were within units - and usually you only expected those with like-coins to play, so you're off the hook unless you've ever been to any of my units above. I know someone has, and am curious if he still has his coin. Given where he is currently deployed though, he probably won't have it on him.

Does anybody collect these? (I'm not selling mine), but wondered if they are collected by those who weren't actually in the units.

• Options
    I like the Boeing AWACS coin. Does it say E-767 or E-707? My eyes are so bad I can't make it out.
  • Options
    Hello,

I'm active duty Air Force and I have a bunch. I just got two more my last TDY.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options

<< <i>I like the Boeing AWACS coin. Does it say E-767 or E-707? My eyes are so bad I can't make it out. >>

767. That is the one from the Liberty Mint, and is very PL and I couldn't get a good pic. I guarded the plane while it was at Hanscom AFB before it was delivered to Japan. The little certificate of authenticity reads:

"This medallion commemorates The Boeing Company's Japan E-767 AWACS Delivery March 1998" signed Larry Ruff, President, Liberty Mint.

I never actually used that one as a challenge coin, it was more in the souvenir catagory.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like the Boeing AWACS coin. Does it say E-767 or E-707? My eyes are so bad I can't make it out. >>

767. That is the one from the Liberty Mint, and is very PL and I couldn't get a good pic. I guarded the plane while it was at Hanscom AFB before it was delivered to Japan. The little certificate of authenticity reads:

"This medallion commemorates The Boeing Company's Japan E-767 AWACS Delivery March 1998" signed Larry Ruff, President, Liberty Mint.

I never actually used that one as a challenge coin, it was more in the souvenir catagory. >>

Nice. I almost got stationed at Hanscom AFB back in the mid 80's. Ended up getting diverted at the last minute to Blytheville Arkansas instead.
  • Options

<< <i>Hello,

I'm active duty Air Force and I have a bunch. I just got two more my last TDY. >>

I tip my hat to you.

Glad to hear the coins are still out there - JJ got me worried the touchy-feely types had gotten hold of yet another tradition and squashed it. What is your take among the AF folks - slowing down, or still going strong??

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Here's the coin from my last unit. The Group Commander put out a challenge for the design and one of the guys working for me with a lot of artistic skill won.

imageimage
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    I love this Forum! I learn something every time I come here.

Thank you StrikeoutXXX for the fascinating coins and tradition that I never even knew existed. Great pieces, folks!
  • Options

<< <i>I love this Forum! I learn something every time I come here.

Thank you StrikeoutXXX for the fascinating coins and tradition that I never even knew existed. Great pieces, folks! >>

You're welcome - I too learn many things every day. I should have clarified they weren't ONLY used for drinking games - they were presented to visiting high-ranking officers, given as souvenirs sometimes when we had local kids come do ride-alongs with us in the cop cars, etc.

Also, one other part of the tradition I forgot is if the person who originated the challenge at a table got a response from all the others at the table, he/she then had to buy the round, so you had to evaluate who you were sitting with before you started it off.

itsnotjustme: That one is pretty nice, I found it somewhat rare to have Group-Level coins. I had only seen one other one - when I was at Luke, it had an F-16 coming at you, and the different training squadrons unit patches around the plane somewhat like that one. I saw your coin in the 2003 thread (Search for "Military") I wanted to make sure nobody had posted about these recently. Looks like a few others have one too.

• Options
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect military medals but mostly stick to the older ones. These modern ones
    are appealing though. image

I like that Boeing piece too. I suppose it's going to be a pretty tough one though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I have about 20 of these coins total. What is funny is that I do not carry one with me these days. Working at NATO HQ in an international setting, challenges do not come up. If I go to a US event, there will be one in my pocket.

I have proposed getting a NATO International Military Staff on made. There are only 40 US on the IMS, so it would certainly be an uncommon one.
  • Options
    Agreed, they aren't just for drinking games. The best ones are the "Commanders Coins" where someone of a high rank will give them as a job well done to subordinates. I've been given some and my most cherished is from a FB (Full Bird) Col who gave me one following my tour in Iwakuni Japan. It's the best looking coin I've seen.

They are pretty cherished in that manner when a flag officer or better gives one. It does me good to see a kid get recognition from the General or Admiral directly, however at the end of the day the coin doesn't increase the paycheck. BUT, you'd have to be in or around the military to understand how much it means.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    Yes the challenge coins are still around. I fully realize they are techinically medalions.

Three things are also occuring with the "coins" as well.
    First off: They are unit money makers. The ones I just purchased are from the 32d Air and Space Operations Center and the 16th Air Force. I like the 32D AOC one as they are known as the Wolfhounds and the "coin" is in the shape of a wolf's footprint.
    Second: The coins are routinely given out as something for folks who done a good job. The group I am with gave out some to the folks who really helped us out.
    Third: Contractors have realized some of the military guys think they are neat so many defense programs are having them made and passing them out.

Yes, I have been challenged and I have challenged with the coins. I've both bought beverages and been bought beverages.

The ones I like the most are the ones I have been given or traded for. I have a silver one mounted in a nice wood frame from one previous unit. It is beginning to tone nicely.

http://www.coinforce.com/ Anyone with money and an idea may have their own made. I actually like the ones with odd shapes.

I am proud to serve such a great country as the United States.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Jeff,

That's just friggin wrong brother... you know I'm in the Middle East... I don't have a picture of my coins, much less my jars of challenge coins, and you got an easy win... lol. I'll pay off when you get here, even though we don't get alcohol here, so pick me up a case on your way in country and I'll pay you back.

By the way, I've got duplicates of #1, 3, 6 & 7. The silver version and gold/silver version of #7 are really rare coins. Can't wait until PCGS decides to grade these...

By the way, for most challenge coins, the total mintages were usually less than 500 minted. The Bunker coin is probably the largest mintage within your group (that coin was made from 91 - 95/6 when the bunker closed), followed by the brass version of #7 and then the Boeing (which supposedly was no more than 1000). The Blue Knights coin was no more than 500.

Where else can you get a low mintage coin of less than 1000 ever made for $5 - $10?

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    U.S.A.F. Ret. 57th MMS.
    Will pull mine out one day and post.
    If you must advance to the rear,burn the fields and salt the water supply!
  • Options
    Shuckins: Very nice - love the Arizona one (I grew up in AZ). Those look like they were really used. Towards the end of my time in, I use to buy two of them - using one, and keeping one in fairly new condition. On an average 3-day break/weekend, you could bouce one of those things 50 times, so they got pretty beat up.

AJ2525 - Ooh yes, I have a few mounted in a plaque I forgot about. They were good moneymakers, the units typically only paid about $5 each, and sold them for $10-15 give/take. They were good fundraisers for holiday parties.

Steve - I was wondering if you would stumble across the thread image I'll skip the invitation to come visit where you are, instead I'll keep that case cold in the fridge if you ever travel through Western NY, you're more than welcome to stop in. Stay safe buddy.

I know these probably aren't very high up on the collectability scale - many people who own them wouldn't sell them, they have limited mintages, they are sometimes rudimentary artwork-wise, there is no book of reference <that I know of>, and there are probably 10,000+ different ones out there. But... as I was digging through my collection box for something to post this weekend, I'm just as proud to own any of them as I am any of my "True" coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really great.... do not remember them during my Navy days.... will do some investigation. Thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I know these probably aren't very high up on the collectability scale >>

Actually, there was a time when I'd purchase these tokens and sell some on the bay of E for quite a tidy profit. I bought 10 of the Blue Knights tokens for $5 each and sold 3 of them on Ebay for $20 each (every auction started at $9.95).

Do a search for challenge coins and see what they sell for. There are collectors out there.

And I'll have to take you up on the case one of these days. Better have a challenge coin ready!

Steve

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread...I've got a few around somewhere. Not a very popular thing in the Navy actually. I have found that it is quite popular in the Air Farce...ehemm...Force. image

I get a kick out of it regardless. Reminds me that the Navy has traditions...while the Air Force has habits. image
  • Options

<< <i>Reminds me that the Navy has traditions...while the Air Force has habits. image >>

Navy tradition: Name on back of every seamens pants so the guy behind knows who he's F$%@ing. j/k

Air Force Habit: Challenge coin for the possibility of free alcohol.

I'll take the Air Force anyday.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at Hanscom now...been here since 1986...image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did the military challenge coins first appear? I was in the service in 1970-71 and never encountered them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    When did the military challenge coins first appear? I was in the service in 1970-71 and never encountered them.
    Looks like it was an Army Air Corp tradition during WWI that expanded from there. Wikipedia has a nice write-up on the history as well as the drinking game portion here. Pretty cool about President Clinton displaying his in his official photo:
    Wikipedia

I'm at Hanscom now...been here since 1986.
    Outhaul - I was there '95 - '99. Think Steve (FullStepJeffs) was there '98-03. We likely crossed paths as the base is so small. I was always at the bowling alley or the softball fields either for rec league, or the USSSA qualifiers I helped run.

Do a search for challenge coins and see what they sell for. There are collectors out there.
    Wholy cow - Never realized it was that popular - I would think once you got one, you wouldn't sell it, but there are a lot of companies making them. I'm going to have to see if I can replace the ones I lost over the years.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We likely crossed paths as the base is so small. >>

We probably did. I work up at AFRL. I do all the environmental work as well as coordinate all disaster exercises.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of mine. The center one is not easy to come by.

• Options
    Very nice Dave - we have a common one in there. I'll have to remember that if we are every going to be in the same place image

I still haven't looked for the ones I lost through the years on eBay, good thing to go do tonight.

• Options
    Saw these mentioned in another thread, and given the holiday, thought a bump might be in order.

Happy Memorial Day!

• Options
    My latest was handed to me by Secretary of the Air Force about 3 months ago.
  • Options

<< <i>My latest was handed to me by Secretary of the Air Force about 3 months ago. >>

Now I have to go find mine. When I put on Staff in '97, then Secretary Sheila Widnall happened to be on base, so at my ceremony, she tacked one side, and my family the other. Somewhere I have a coin from her I forgot about. I think it's in my old "I love me wall" box in the garage.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are some harder to find than others? As in more restricted distribution or smaller mintage?
  • Options
    They are made to order by companies. Typical production cost is $5 - 10 per coin, plus a small set-up fee for each design. So there are no "mintage limits" -- just how many were actually produced. Some have thousands, others only dozens, a few have 10s of thousands.
  • Options
    My current unit made ?200. The first hundred are thinner and not as nice. The last hundred were better.

All of them have been passed out and I do not think any more will be made. I only have one and I have no intention of selling it.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I would like to see PCGS grade challenge coins. I posted a question about this to the Q & A forum a long time ago but they ignored it. I would think there might be a nice revenue stream from doing so.

KJ

• Options
    I have about 20 US Marine challenge coins... and one issued by the General who was CIC of the southern command... neat. I like these, they each represent a specific segment of military history. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    No one has this ONE............

• Options
    sorry here are some more

COINS
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have about 30 challenge coins that I acquired during my 20 years in the Army and some that I've been given as part of my current job with Homeland Security. They aren't limited to military units. When I look at them now, they bring back nice memories of the places I've been and the units I served with. It was always better, IMO, to be awarded the coins than to buy them. image
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sorry here are some more

COINS >>

Nice collection and nice website display. image
  • Options
    Thanks Man

<< <i>

<< <i>sorry here are some more

COINS >>

Nice collection and nice website display. image >>

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Here is an interesting one. I was with my dad for a reunion a few years ago in Colorado Springs.

Sorry quickest way for me was to scan.

God bless our men and women who gave their lives for us and those who survived. I have deep respect and honor for all.
  • Options
    Very nice challenge coin.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    These were not around during my time (21 years) in the AF. image Bill.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file