Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Your Coin Collection

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
How many coins are in your coin collection?

Comments

• Options
    No need to reply with specifics. I made it a poll purposely to keep anonymity.
  • Options
    I just counted my main collection and not silver pandas, "junk silver" or pennies in jars.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many. It's turned into a hoard. Time to unload some duplicates!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    The count varies on a monthly basis.

Right now I am in the 51-100 range. Run the poll again in a month or so and I am sure the number would be higher.image

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Option 2. Used to be a lot more, but I dumped everything that didn't make me happy when I viewed them.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My core collection, probably 60 or 70.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I am running out of space in the vault image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Things like mint and proof sets make the number soar.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Maybe next we need a poll asking the average current auction value per coin in our collection. I would think those with thousands of coins will average less than $50 each, maybe less than $20 each. Jars, or milk cans, of wheat cents do not sound very impressive.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Over 4,000. I have a $200- bag of nickels that I will search someday??
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    at least 2500....My dad bought me a huge bag of "unsearched" (yeah, right) wheaties when I was 10 years old and I still have them today. Not one stinking semi-key date in the bunch!!!!
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Since, my Morgan set alone has a pretty strong fraction of the known VAMs, it is in one of the big poll bins all by itself.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Unlike Coxe my Morgan set is circulated and numbers 97 (to fill the Dansco album). Of coarse
    I try to have AU examples of interesting "Vams" for each date---harder than you think when trying
    to match the "look" of the toning and wear so the set matchs (No, I still haven't matched the Key" 1885CC).
    ----
    Of coarse there's a bag or so of other AU duplicates I can't bear to sell.
    ---
    Right now my interest is out of favor minor US coins with color, and foreign toned gold.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Hard to answer unless you put the word "core" up there. I think most of us have a lot of stuff laying around. For example, I have a bag of hundreds of foreign coins someone gave me and I'm waiting to find someone to give them to....I have junk that is fun like a Yosemite medal and a memorial token from my town (Carlsbad Ca) that I paid $1 each...and a bunch more junk like that.

Core collection is under 100 coins.

--Jerry
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    27 US Coins
    32 Ancients
    59 Total

Edit: Must have been new math image
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the current plurality image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Poll: Your Coin Collection

I did as you said but none of my coins had any worthwhile opinions.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting results.

It almost looks like there may be two distinct types of collectors.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know that it is two distinct types of collectors so much as individual collectors collect on a number of levels. I have my "A box" -- my sixteen coins or so that I know I could not easily replace. They are fairly expensive, but more importantly they are of a quality within what they are that is really uncommon.

I have my type set -- that's about 85 coins. Some of them are coins of serious account, while others are pretty trivial.

I have my Dansco Jefferson set -- something like 100 coins and climbing -- and while I spend a lot of time hunting for additions to this set, and some of the coins are in very high grade and pretty, they tend not to be worth much.

Then I have box after box of choice and gem BU moderns, put away each year at face value, year after year. I pull the nicest new coins from rolls whenever something new becomes available.

What do I count?

For what it's worth, I think I put 2-300 in your poll.

mirabela
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Poll: Your Coin Collection

I did as you said but none of my coins had any worthwhile opinions. >>

Can we image a post on this forum?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I dumped most everything to focus on my main set or 24 coins. I am on the border of heartbreak because I may have to sell it soon. image

It's one of those things where family comes first. image
  • Options
    I'm in the 1,000 - 5,000 category for the coins in my collection, but if I count the raw wheaties I've accumulated, well heck, I have over 50,000 of those alone! All unsearched, of course! image

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Too Many! image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    One very odd thing about having a large collection, and I don't mean hoards of bags and rolls, is that you can lose a sense of it after a while. There have been several occasions where I pick up a coin thinking I have one other and will have to see which is better .... then find I have a dozen of them within a grade of each other. Funny that I do generally know what I do have and what I lack and never forget the big coins. It's the blur of minor VAMs that gets me.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One very odd thing about having a large collection, and I don't mean hoards of bags and rolls, is that you can lose a sense of it after a while. There have been several occasions where I pick up a coin thinking I have one other and will have to see which is better .... then find I have a dozen of them within a grade of each other. Funny that I do generally know what I do have and what I lack and never forget the big coins. It's the blur of minor VAMs that gets me. >>

Exactly why I started to focus on one series. Even though I enjoy many other coins I started to lose the enjoyment until I learned and focused. It is much easier to enjoy 24 coins than it is for 10,000.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>27 US Coins
    32 Ancients
    52 Total >>

Looks like someone flunked matt. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I have about 70 or so, but may go to the one box (20 coins) method. I'm only counting slabbed coins, loose coins I would have no idea how many.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    1000+ with the majority of them Wheaties in bank bags.............. image

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    About 70 Morgans, plus a few here and there of other coins, then 5000+ wheaties, so about 5300.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Too many.

However, my primary collection has about 200.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    My core collection is 40 coins. While I have been selectively buying, I have done

more selling over the past two years then buying. I now have my collection just

where I want it. At least for the time being.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I voted BEORE I counted but between 201 and 300 [mostly slabbed Morgans] seems about right.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    201-300 Slabbed coins. Roll counts go much higher.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    The gamut...from a 1798 Draped Bust Large cent, George Washington's pocket change, he died in 1799, to a 1807 Draped Bust half dollar, Thomas Jefferson's ale money, to a 2005 Satin Finish mint set, George Bush's...wait, Geo. has no idea what money really is, and just about everything in between (partial sets of Walkers, full set of MS Franklins, full set MS Jeffersons, partial Mercury, commemorative silvers, half dollar variety...lots and lots of junk! It weighs about as much as I do...lol It's been an adventure.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'm nearing on a 1000 coins. Currently 978 and that doesn't include wheats, ancients, foreign, tokens or duplicate U.S..

The 978 coins are all different U.S. coins that I have (only about 10-15% are modern). Love them early U.S. stuff, hate the high prices though!!!!
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I voted 51-100, and I only counted my Type Set and Buffalo Set, my core collections. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    5000 - 10,000 i'm guessing

K S
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    800 slabbed toned original commems plus a 50 coin type set ....and in hindsight, I wish I had been less of a hoarder and more into the "box of 20" super eye-popping coins that Jay Parrino used to espouse.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    I voted 501-1,000 coins. I used to have a lot more, but about 7 months ago I dumped all my "junk" coins I was just hanging onto for no reason. I had several 3-ring binders full, plus more in boxes of 2x2's. These were all low grade examples of common dates. Thought someday I would maybe start selling on the side; but found out that this type of material doesn't really sell.

Now, I still have my core collections, but I don't have all these "extras" just laying around. It was refreshing to clean out my collection, and something I plan on doing every 3-5 years, to make sure I am not hoarding junk again.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 1001 to 5000, but it was only guess. My core collection of stuff I really care about - type sets (copper, nickel, silver and gold), old commemorative type set and 19th presidential campaign medalets and tokens comes to probably 500 pieces. Then there are Proof sets with from 5 to 11 coins in them, modern commemoratives and some rolls of junk. So I've probably got a two to three thousand pieces.

It's amazing to think of how much junk you accumulate as a collector. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    Oops...forgot about my rolls.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    oh, in case you were wondering, i happen to own zero $labbed coins.

K S
  • Options
    Since everyone seems to be divulging I guess I'll join in. My entire collection cosists of a mere 37 coins and when I reach 100% completion it will be 175 (unless more CBHD marriages or re-marriages are discovered).
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't rival Virgil Brand.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file