Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, just how many collectors of assay commission medals are here?

I'm sure there must be one or two others.
--

Ed. S.

(EJS)

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the 1870 assay commission medal you posted, nice! I have one only, the 1978, which I think is the most common issue and also the last assay commission.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the 1870 assay commission medal you posted, nice! I have one only, the 1978, which I think is the most common issue and also the last assay commission.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    I love them, but they can be a bit salty . image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick me! Pick me! Actually only own two... one for my Centennial set(NGC PR-63) and last year of issue (1977).image
    Edited to read (1977)

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    I bought the Julian and Keusch book when I saw all the Assay Commision Medals up for auction at the Heritage Long Beach Signature sale. I bid on a couple but lost out to a floor bidder. I really wanted the 1920 medal as it fits in well with some of my other collecting interests.
  • Options
    I think that they are a great piece of artistry from the mint.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There can't be that many assay medal collectors. The mintages were usually fairly low, but the prices are still not that ridiculous. I've looked at them, but I've never bought any. It's just a matter of not being able to collect everything.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in them, but don't own
    any......

I read all I can on them, and I'm sure
    one day I'll pull the trigger on one of 'em

(not counting the common last year of issue
    pewter's from 1977)
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    There are some, but not many collectors of these scarce numismatic items.

Back in the 80's, I had four aggressive collectors for these medals and when they came up for auction, new records would be set whenever some of the rare ones came up.

These are very closely related to patterns and some pattern collectors have added them to their collections, as well.

Bob Julian and Ernie Keutsch did a great book on these and I would urge interested collectors to try to find a copy.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    There have always been some collectors of those medals but I think the majority of the collectors were at one time members of one of the assay commissions. The problem now is that the number of former assay commission members is rapidly dwindling. It has been almost 30 years since the last Assay Commission met and it isn't too likely that any former assay commision member is much younger than about 60 years old now, with the majority of them being considerably older. As former members die off I think there will be fewer collectors for these medals while at the same time more of them will be gradually coming onto the market.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    A small group of Assay medals will be included among the Norweb consignment to the November ANR sale. Mrs. Norweb's 1955 medal, Ambassador Norweb's 1966 medal, and three medals belonging to Cleveland inventor Ambrose Swasey will all be sold. The only thing cooler than an Assay medal is one with a pedigree!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There have always been some collectors of those medals but I think the majority of the collectors were at one time members of one of the assay commissions. The problem now is that the number of former assay commission members is rapidly dwindling. It has been almost 30 years since the last Assay Commission met and it isn't too likely that any former assay commision member is much younger than about 60 years old now, with the majority of them being considerably older. As former members die off I think there will be fewer collectors for these medals while at the same time more of them will be gradually coming onto the market. >>

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    I suppose I am slightly surprised. I knew there wouldn't be that many ACM collectors here, but I wasn't expecting to possibly be the only one. It's good to know that other people here do have a couple. Conder is probably right about the lack of interest in them; I'm young enough that no ACMs have been issued in my lifetime; I can instead thank reading old Bowers and Merena auction catalosts for my interest in them. OTOH, some of the recent prices in the Heritage sale last month did seem strong to me, so this may mean more people are finding out about them.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    i know this isn't related to the acm, but i do like to hoard them u.s. assay silver rounds from the
    strategic stockpile when i get the chance image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file