Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Darkside Lingo (tm)

Let's compile a Darkside Lingo list.... I'll start.

angel, noun - English successor to the gold noble. Initially valued at 6 shillings 8 pence. Issued from 1470 to 1634.

Comments

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    fishscale, noun - A Canadian 5 cent silver piece
  • Options

<< <i>Let's compile a Darkside Lingo list.... I'll start.

angel, noun - English successor to the gold noble. Initially valued at 6 shillings 8 pence. Issued from 1470 to 1634. >>

Half a dollar, slang - English Halfcrown
    A Bob, slang - English One shilling, Two bob, 10 bob etc
    Two and a kick, slang - English Halfcrown
    Tanner, slang - English Sixpence piece
    Quid, singular and plural, slang - English One pound
    Thrupenny bit (also possibly joey) noun, slang - English three pence piece. Also used as rhyming slang for female breasts

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pieces of Eight - Name of Spanish Colonial 8Reale coin, which refers to a practice of physically cutting this coin into 8 bits worth 12.5 cents each by early U.S. colonists. This practice also gives origin to the name “two bits” for U.S. 25 cents, which is used to this day.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Grayside (alt. greyside), adj.: Canadian
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Sower -- slang for French coins which show Liberty walking. Mostly used for 1 or two Franc coins.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options

<< <i>fishscale, noun - A Canadian 5 cent silver piece >>

It's also used to describe wire money issued by Russian Czar Ivan (the Terrible) in the 16th Century.

My favorite coin nickname is Groat, an English 4 Pence coin pre 1970 where 3 Groats = 1 Shilling and 60 Groats = 240 Pence = 20 Shillings = 1 Pound
    There's nothing in the rule book that says an elephant can't pitch.

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    BBL, A form of art on coins highlighted by Bare Breasted Ladies on one or both sides of the coin or medal.image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    FARSIDE - Token and medal collectors image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loonie - Canadian $1 coin

Twonie - Canadian $2 coin

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Loonie -- when ajaan is the only poster to a thread.

Twonie -- when he is joined by Aethelred.

• Options

<< <i>Loonie -- when ajaan is the only poster to a thread.

image >>

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    "Winnie or Liz?" - vernacular, a phrase uttered while flipping a Churchill crown, akin to "Heads or tails?"

Bertie flipped the crown into the air. "Loser buys the next round of Guinness," he chirped. "Call it, Jeeves -- Winnie or Liz?"
  • Options

<< <i>Loonie -- when ajaan is the only poster to a thread.

>>

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Awwww, Don. You know I don't mean it.

Apology Coin -- coin given by Darksider when contrite for bad behavior.
  • Options

I know you said it with affection Carl, wait . . . I don't mean it that way, I meant, oh nevermind . . .

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Gone Yeti-- phrase frequentley applied to LordMarcovan and others who disappear from the forum for lengths of time.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to confuse things a little:

Wire Money:
    (1) In the Russian series, silver coins from the mid-1600's, so called because the blanks used to make them were cut from pieces of silver wire.

(2) In the British series, a nickname given to the Maundy coins of 1792, so called because the denomination numerals were written in an unusually thin style.

(3) A term sometimes applied to the silver larin, a "primitive money" of the Indian Ocean, more normally called "fish hook money" or "hairpin money". Its form is a long piece of silver wire, doubled over and normally bent into a hook shape.

(4) (verb) A term used in the United States to describe the sending of funds by certain forms of electronic transfer.

Proclamation Coins
    (1) In the Spanish and Spanish Colonial series, coin-like medals issued to commemorate or "proclaim" significant events (such as royal coronations or revolutions), in the days before newspapers. Such pieces were often made to the same specifications as the circulating coinage of the day, and frequently entered circulation. Some are listed in the Krause Standard Catalog, but most are not.

(2) In the Australian series, foreign coinage listed in a "proclamation" by the New South Wales Governor in 1800, recognising them as legal tender and assigning them values in sterling. Just about any darkside coin which was commonly used in international trade during the period 1780-1800 can probably qualify as a "proclamation coin", though the items actually appearing on the list can command quite a premium from Australian collectors.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    specie: a metal coin, and a good way of teaching biology students that the word 'species' is always pluralized

pyx: the box used to house coins waiting to be assayed and verified for weight and content after the first strikes are produced

yap: form of 'primitive' money used on Polynesian islands, often made as a stone wheel of vastly varried sizes

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Danegeld: a land tax levied in Anglo-Saxon England to raise funds for protection against Danish invaders (Oxford Dictionary) and also, I believe, a term later designated to the money paid to the Danes to not invade and raid England
  • Options
    The Queen up front, with a bear behind - design description of the Canadian toonie
  • Options
    Chop or chopping, noun or verb - The mark incused into a silver (and occasionaly gold) coin by a merchant to certify its bullion value, or the act of stamping it. Generally found on silver crown/dollar-sized coins circulating in Asia during the 19th and early 20th Centuries.
    Roy

• Options
    Rooster Nickname for the French gold 20 Franc coins featuring a rooster on the reverse.

My OmniCoin Collection
  • Options
    cartwheel - noun. Nickname for the hefty 1797 copper twopence of Great Britain. 40.64 mm, 56.8 grams.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "to pull a Lordmarcovan" or "to go Lordmarcovan" means to wait ages to ship a package. This method has been known to be employed by Aethelred from time to time.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    turtle - noun. The ancient silver stater of Aegina, so called for its bold main device of a sea turtle.

"Am I not turtley enough for the Turtle Club? Turtle, turtle, turtle!"
    -- Pistachio Disguisey, 2002
  • Options
    Junk: 'coins' sold by Chinese 'entrepreneurs', all assumed to be counterfeits.

Junk Box: container at coin shows for cheap treasure hunting.

British denominations and their slang terms
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    proba - noun. A Polish pattern coin.

kielbasa - noun. A Polish sausage.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Novodel (from Russian: made anew) - term refers to restrikes of early coin issues made for collectors by the Russian Mints from 1738 to 1890
  • Options
    vahingoittunut - adjective. "Damaged" in Finnish.

"Is this 100-kroner note vaerdifuld?"
    "It would be if it weren't vahingoittunut."
    "Aha. I thought that mark was a vaarentamisen ehkaisykeino."
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Quadriga: a two-wheeled chariot drawn by four horses harnessed abreast. Picutred on the reverse of the Italian 2 lire coins at the start of the 20th century.
  • Options
    "Death to Huerta" peso - a 1914 coin with a political theme, struck to emphasize Francisco "Pancho" Villa's hatred of Mexican politician Victoriano Huerta.
  • Options

<< <i>Junk: 'coins' sold by Chinese 'entrepreneurs', all assumed to be counterfeits.

Junk Box: container at coin shows for cheap treasure hunting. >>

Junk Dollar - 1930s Republic of China silver yuan/dollar coins depicting a Chinese Junk; also the 1949 restrikes struck by the US Mint for Taiwan
    Roy

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watchit, O Dead King... I think the Jester's onto us! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.