Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: Ebay pinhead of the day...

I have a certain coin listed at $6.99. "Veteran expert buyer" with a WHOPPING 32 total feedback makes an offer of $1 along with the message "$4 including shipping by USPS mail which costs only $2 max?"

After blocking said idiot, I decline his offer with the following message:

"Congratulations. You have now been blocked from bidding on or buying any of my items. You have a lot to learn about shipping costs. You assume that everyone just dumps a coin into an envelope. Box + bubble bag + insurance + shipping is more than $2."

Now, I admit that there are plenty of Ebay sellers who charge $3-6 to ship a coin, that do nothing but dump the coin loose into a #10 envelope and slap a 39-cent stamp onto it.

I ain't one of them.

*grumble*

Comments

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

This could easily become an ongoing feature....

The world is filled with pinheads, and apparently they all have computers....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep blocking more and more bidders, even if I know that it has a negative effect on the final realized prices of my coins. I'm in for the fun, not for the profit.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I can understand your reaction on the low ball offer but tend to agree with the buyer on shipping. We have shipped many a low valued coin in a flip then a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 coin envelope and a #000 padded mailer with insurance for $1.87. Our cost is $1.53. Bill.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    To heck with shipping. He offered you 15% of your start price. You did right to lose him.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can understand your reaction on the low ball offer but tend to agree with the buyer on shipping. We have shipped many a low valued coin in a flip then a 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 coin envelope and a #000 padded mailer with insurance for $1.87. Our cost is $1.53. Bill. >>

And if that's how you choose to ship, then more power to you. I don't tell others how to ship nor what they should charge for same. image

My issue is with the buyer's implication that I am overcharging for shipping, when he has no idea HOW I ship.

Bottom line: If you don't like what I charge for shipping, you are free to not bid on my merchandise.

Lowballing a $1 bid AND complaining about my shipping costs earns you a big fat "BITE ME" in the Ebay world.

Compliments on my packaging and shipping outnumber complaints by about a 50:1 ratio, so I must be doing something right. image

It's funny how if you sell on Ebay you're open to all sorts of criticism if you charge 50 cents or a buck more than your direct expenses (even though Ebay rules explicitly permit a reasonable handling charge), yet no one has any problem with established commercial coin dealers charging $10 to ship a slab by 1st class mail... bit of a double standard don't you think? image