Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Taco Bell Nakin Done!

The expierment with the Taco Bell Napkin and the coin is over. I decided to stop due to the coin starting to go down the slop in my opinion. Here are the results.

Here is a series of pictures.
1st is on 1/7/06
2ndis on 3/28/06
3rd is on 5/10/06
4th is on 6/10/06
5th is on 7/31/06
6th is on 8/29/06

This was a rather unique expierment. A learning process for me as to how toning forms. As to the coin alot of eye appeal has been added in my eye. Its much easier for me to look at now. Its not for sale, I never intended to sell it. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Try it again with a first gen Morgan and let us know image

edited to add: I think the toning does accentuate the scratch in the reverse fields, so I'm not sure I'm crazy about the toned version.
  • Options
    Robert The last image the light is hit right on it. It brings out the scratch to its full extent. The scratch looks the same in hand as it did when I started.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honest opinion, if the blue color is accurate, it's about the funkiest blue I've ever seen. And I've seen some funky blue before.image
    I actually like the 2nd image best. I've watched this progress, and appreciate you sharing all this. Just don't care for it.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Honest opinion, if the blue color is accurate, it's about the funkiest blue I've ever seen. And I've seen some funky blue before.image
    I actually like the 2nd image best. I've watched this progress, and appreciate you sharing all this. Just don't care for it. >>

The blue might be a bit stylized in the last picture, but I felt it was good to show where the colors are on the coin. Overall I think the appearance is much better. In hand the coin is a bit darker than the last picture shows. I hit the coin directly with light so it looks a bit brighter than it is. Thanks for the opinions.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but if you wrap an OGH in one... image

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
  • Options
    So you would call this toning AT? or NT?
  • Options

<< <i>So you would call this toning AT? or NT? >>

Ate Taco or No Taco? image
  • Options
    I guess it will be interesting to see if anybody else is trying this. I know people are but the results would be nice. I would like to see how other peoples coins are reacting to the napkins.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess it will be interesting to see if anybody else is trying this. I know people are but the results would be nice. I would like to see how other peoples coins are reacting to the napkins. >>

Seriously, in my opinion, it's accelerated toning. It's up to the holder of the coin to decide if it's acceptable, and up to the TPG's to decide if it's market acceptable.image

I don't know how "natural" it looks in hand, so I can't say whether I would be duped. If it were disclosed, I'd probably shy away fro the coin.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
  • Options
    I like the look of the toning, but in all honesty, the last two pics are bordering on unbelievable. If you would've stopped at the third from the last pic, I'd bet you could've had it slabbed (barring the scrach) without problem and sold it without anyone raising an eyebrow of skepticism. image
    - -

Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies.
  • Options
    The coin is a bit darker in hand. It looks really natural if you ask me. It looks like many coins I have seen in PCGS and NGC holders. This coin would never make it into a holder due the scratch(s) on the reverse. I equate this to Wayte Ramond Album toning. Some people call that Accelerated toning as well. Like you said its all in the eye of the beholder. I for one think the coin has greatly increased in eye appeal. The coin was a bargin to start out with, but it was rather blah. Now it at least has some uniqueness to it. I would say from start to finish the coin has got 3 shades darker on a scale from 1 to 10. This was a problem coin already and by accident it started. This will be the only coin I try it on.
  • Options
    TACO TANNED
  • Options

<< <i>I like the look of the toning, but in all honesty, the last two pics are bordering on unbelievable. If you would've stopped at the third from the last pic, I'd bet you could've had it slabbed (barring the scrach) without problem and sold it without anyone raising an eyebrow of skepticism. image >>

If you saw the coin in hand you would think Album toned. I have showed it to a few people and thats what they all claimed. Then I told them the rest of the story.
  • Options
    how and where did you place the coin to tone like that?
  • Options
    It was in a Cabinet wrapped in a napkin. Nothing more.
  • Options
    the obverse seemed to tone differently than the reverse.
    was one particular side always facing up or down or was it
    random what side face was up/down
    and do you think it did or would make a difference how the toning differs
    from each side.

• Options
    The coin was the same way ervery time. Obverse side down. I do think it played a roll in the toning process.
  • Options
    i see
    i guess if you alternate sides it might tone about equally on either side but
    though it might look nice that way, it wouldnt make it look more natural
    as far as toning goes, imo
    i personally like the well-toned coin with a nearwhite opposing
    but thats just me
  • Options
    NT= Nakin Toned

The third pic wins. the toning looks believable, IMO.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>NT= Nakin Toned

The third pic wins. the toning looks believable, IMO.

Herb >>

It looks even better in hand.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

You dirty low-down snake belly coin doctor!

imageimage

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>You dirty low-down snake belly coin doctor!

imageimage >>

Don't you know it . image
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭

<< <i>TACO TANNED >>

Burrito Burn

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now I know what hispanics mean when they say: GREEN GO image
  • Options
    I think it would be interesting to know the heat and humidity in the area where coin was stored. I believe that heat has something to do with the speed at which it tones. Just for kicks, I'm trying it with a Kennedy Half in a warm (90's+) garage.

Wes
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Honest opinion, if the blue color is accurate, it's about the funkiest blue I've ever seen. And I've seen some funky blue before.image
    I actually like the 2nd image best. I've watched this progress, and appreciate you sharing all this. Just don't care for it. >>

The coin is most attractive in the 2nd picture. The blues look to "agressive" later and seem out of character for the coin. Now it's time to dip it and start over. image See if the progression is the same.
  • Options
    Beautiful AT *
  • Options
    I like it, and I'm going to Taco Bell in a few minutes to start my own experiment.

No lie!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    OK. So I've got a couple of BBd coins back from PCGS for "altered surface" What could it hurt to store them in a napkin....has anybody tried other fast food joints? --Jerry
  • Options
    You say the coin isn't for sale. What about the napkin???
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    As part Shawnee Indian, I've decided to pick up some of the new Shawnee Nation silver coins. I have a duplicate of one of the BU coins and I'm tempted to put that in a Taco Bell napkin to see what I get now!
  • Options
    Another coin...that will never be the same........What say you coin defenders?.....Where is the outrage?????
  • Options

<< <i>I guess it will be interesting to see if anybody else is trying this. I know people are but the results would be nice. I would like to see how other peoples coins are reacting to the napkins. >>

You know I have one in a Wendy's napkin.....I should dig it out and take a new picture......mine was toning quite a bit with some blue as well.......
  • Options

<< <i>Another coin...that will never be the same........What say you coin defenders?.....Where is the outrage????? >>

I believe this coin was obviously cleaned when the experiment began. It's not like you're making a "good" coin bad (in the sense of destroying originality).

At least it doesn't looks as cleaned as it used to.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just wondering how many people are now "napkin-toning" their problem coins to sell them in a few months ... image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The second picture isn't so bad... after that, it started looking AT, and now looks full-blown-no-questions-asked AT.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i> I believe this coin was obviously cleaned when the experiment began. It's not like you're making a "good" coin bad (in the sense of destroying originality). >>

First of all it looks fine to me....I was wondering where all of the anti coin doctors are??? This coin will be on the market one day....maybe not soon, but certainly one day. I was wondering where all of the anti coin doctors are???? Where is the outrage? Lot of hypocrits here.....
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> I believe this coin was obviously cleaned when the experiment began. It's not like you're making a "good" coin bad (in the sense of destroying originality). >>

First of all it looks fine to me....I was wondering where all of the anti coin doctors are??? This coin will be on the market one day....maybe not soon, but certainly one day. I was wondering where all of the anti coin doctors are???? Where is the outrage? Lot of hypocrits here..... >>

Wow, someone is off their meds today.imageimage
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    AT all day long for me, that blue just looks very suspect.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if that coin hits the market, I hope someone sees them swirly gouges in the reverse.... who cares about the color ? .... it's damaged and the author told us long ago, it ain't for sale and I believe him. (for now) imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>AT all day long for me, that blue just looks very suspect. >>

Almost as suspect as that now-infamous 1904-O Morgan in the rattler holder!
  • Options
    neat!

i like the look of the first two pics..then it just got crazy looking.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great experiment. Personally, I like the 2nd and 3rd picture the best.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    I also think that Taco Bell's recycled napkin are the key, other fast food joints use bleached white paper. all the taco bells i go to use the brown recycled ones, defintely the key. My question is did you store them on a windosill, on a counter? warm/cold environment? very curious as to what factors acclerated the toning process.

Leo
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Your pictures make the blue stand out too much to look natural. My guess is, that is not the case while looking at the coin in hand.

Interesting experiment.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't get it. You stuck a coin in a napkin and it changes that much in a matter of months. I've had a couple of halves in a Wayte Raymond page sitting in the window for over two years - and nothing. I guess I just don't have the skilz.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Very interesting - and thanks for sharing!

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options

<< <i>I don't get it. You stuck a coin in a napkin and it changes that much in a matter of months. I've had a couple of halves in a Wayte Raymond page sitting in the window for over two years - and nothing. I guess I just don't have the skilz.

Russ, NCNE >>

Luck maybe Russ... I will not try it again so...
  • Options

<< <i>Your pictures make the blue stand out too much to look natural. My guess is, that is not the case while looking at the coin in hand.

Interesting experiment. >>

Yoy are 100% correct!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file