Home U.S. Coin Forum

What type of Loupe to use?

Just got in my "cherry pickers" books yesterday and decided to check out some of my stuff. I found that the simple loupe that I have does not provide enough umph to see the details good.

What type / magnification loupe would you recommend to for picking out the "cherries"?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Nobody ? I'm heading up to a local shop today and would like to pick one up.

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I have a little 10X loupe that I like very much. It's small and "silver colored." I can't tell you much more about it than that. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give folks more than a half-hour to pry themselves away from real life (or other dramas image ).

I personally use an ANCO 16x loupe, other people swear by the Hastings triplet. There have been other threads on the subject, read this one if you want to go really high-end or this one for more basic recommendations.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Thanks and sorry for my impatience. Maybe I can find a colorful one image
  • I would suggest a 10X loupe for all purpose....
    and maybee a 16X loupe for minor overdate's and little stuff....
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    I believe a 10x loupe is the standard. I've seen them up to 30x. I suggest getting one with a light built in, if possible.
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to use a cheapo plastic deal with three 5x lenses so you could go from 5x to 15x.

Currently I'm using an Eschenbach 3-6-9 and it's the finest piece of glass I've ever looked through. Not real cheap but well worth the money.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect big silver coins and use three loupes... all of which have their advantages:

1. A cheap (about $6) plastic 5x collapsable Bausch & Lomb. It's main advantage is a large lens (bigger than a half dollar) that makes easy work of seeing the entire coin quickly. The disadvantage is it isn't strong enough for decent VAM work.

2. An inexpensive (I think about $10) plastic 5x-10x loupe that has two folding lenses. Not as fast and easy to use as the first loupe, because the lenses are only about the size of a quarter, but using both lenses for 10x power is fine for VAMing.

3. I just bought a very expensive ($100) 12x Eschenbach loupe that is astounding. It's too powerful to use to look at an entire coin, which makes it slow, but the optics and clarity when checking VAMs are incredible. When I use it to look at coins I've owned for years, it's as though I'm seeing them for the first time.

I used to carry the first two loupes in my pocket to all shows. I now take #1 and #3... and I absolutely wouldn't leave home without #3.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • critocrito Posts: 1,735
    My favorites where two Whitman glasses (actually made of glass) that came in leather flip-out cases I originally bought ~1979. Believe they were 8X and know they were big enough to view an entire Morgan magnified in a single glance. Anyway, I've lost them both at shows over the last couple years and can't find anyone who still sells them. image For varieties I use a triplet though... think it's 15X... can't find it at the moment (what a surprise). image

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a brown plastic loupe with three different magnifications...5x, 10x, and 20x. This has served me well.

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I use an ANCO 10X Triple Loupe w/ a rubber grip...Around $32 on the Whitman website

Nice, good quality lens, that serves the purpose....here's what she looks like

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Since you are searching your own coins, why not consider a microscope? Mine cost about $250 and I use it all the time. It shows a much broader field than a loupe, which I use on the road, or it can be narrowed down to a very small portion of the coin. Its also handy for just sticking your digital camera up to for some quick photographs!

Regardless of what scope or loupe you get, be sure to get a lanyard for your loupe! You'll be glad you did!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Bausch & Lomb 5x and 7x. Combine them and have 12x. It's a nice quality loupe and runs about $20.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belomo 10x has good optical quality for the money - about $14 on eBay.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, this is by far the most popular loop on the forums...

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭

I use a B&S Hastings Triplet 10x.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Zeiss D36. It's a bit pricey, but now that I have one I will settle for nothing less.
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    B&L 10X
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    eschenbach loupes are the best

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bausch & Lomb 10x Hastings triplet. The ANCO 16x is crap with no sharpness anywhere except dead center.

Zeiss/Eschenbach users will probably say the same about my B&L.
  • seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    zeiss.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since you are searching your own coins, why not consider a microscope? Mine cost about $250 and I use it all the time. It shows a much broader field than a loupe, which I use on the road, or it can be narrowed down to a very small portion of the coin. Its also handy for just sticking your digital camera up to for some quick photographs! >>

For some varieties that are more difficult to see, a microscope is essential.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I have several magnifiers. Just never heard the term loupe until I joined coin forums. I don't bother with brand names, just magnification abilities. I have 2X, 5X, 7X, 14X and one 30X. I use the 7X most of the time. I always feel if I need to look at a coin with anything more powerful than that, it's time to get a new hobby.
    Carl
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I have a variety of loupes but do best on VAMs with a Konus 20x (#3013). Been meaning to get a proper Eschenbach for a while.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Zeiss D36 and i love it.
    I'm sure everyone has an favorite.

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons

<< <i>Bausch & Lomb 10x Hastings triplet. The ANCO 16x is crap with no sharpness anywhere except dead center.

Zeiss/Eschenbach users will probably say the same about my B&L. >>

well Eschenbach users would come close to saying that about a zeissimage
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many brands. My advice is get a Hastins or Coddington corrected lens in 10X by any of the brands mentioned. Good luck on you decent into madness. Mike
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>Bausch & Lomb 10x Hastings triplet. The ANCO 16x is crap with no sharpness anywhere except dead center.

well Zeiss users would come close to saying that about an Eschenbachimageimage
    I found my 10X loupe and it is a Tecnar Deluxe Hipower.

I love it.

-Amanda

• << <i>I use a B&S Hastings Triplet 10x. >>

Same here. I purchased it from a Dealer/net friend named Larry Calder before he passed away a few years ago so it has sentimental value as well.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a B&S Hastings Triplet 10x. >>

image Resonably priced loupe that you won't freak out if you lose (like you would a Zeiss).

Use a stereoscope for cherrypicking image
  • TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

What type of loupe you want probably depends on what you are trying to find.

I use a Bausch & Lomb 20X Hastings triplet for hunting Lincoln Cent RPMs at local coin shows and couldn't be happier with it. Picked it up online at Kooter's Geology.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Anyone know what loope PCGS Graders Use?

<< <i>

well Zeiss users would come close to saying that about an Eschenbachimageimage >>

HAHA, nahimage

<< <i>Anyone know what loope PCGS Graders Use? >>

PCGS graders are tough. They use their bare handsimage
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I would not trade my set of Eschenbach loupes for a truck load of any other type. They may cost a little more, but you'll use them for a lifetime!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What type of Loupe to use? >>

However, I've found a use for Zeiss.

<< <i>

PCGS graders are tough. They use their bare handsimage >>

Ah, so they DID hire Chuck Norris.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ah, so they DID hire Chuck Norris. >>

Chuck Norris doesn't grade coins. He stares at them until the grade appears on the slab. image

-Amanda

PS: I'm so imageimage

• robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

Robert's loupes are cool. image

That big one is too funny! image

Here is mine, and a glass I use for a larger perspective. image

-Amanda

PS- That's an awesome Morgan, too, Robert! image

-Amanda

• Harris & co. 16, Beromo10x, and 10 Power mag Illuminatoer by electro-optic,inc.
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ah, so they DID hire Chuck Norris. >>

Nah, Chuck was passed over for

• << <i>imageimageimageimage

image >>

I have one of those Gigantical FAT ones too! It was given to me as a gift in an RCC swap along with some super choice items and they all came in a cool inceptor shield double row 2x2 box.
  • Anyone use a hands-free watchmaker's loupe? This is a Bausch & Lomb 10xs watchmaker's loupe.

Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    B&L 10X and 20X Hastings, love them both
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
    Currently, my main one (the one in my pocket) is Belomo 10X (Belarus). Also use a B&L Hastings 10X triplet and some monster one (60X?) I picked up at a swap meet once, though it has a bit of off axis distortion and is not as good with the light.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 10X is best for the average collector...

I perfer the 16X, since I have excellent eyes, and more tolerance to use it.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a cheapo 10x for the first look, then switch to my 20x B&L Hastings Triplet if I need a closer one...my only complaint aboutthe B&L is that it's so darn small!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file