Home Sports Talk
Options

Raiders want Jeff George? Say it ain't so!

My sad ass Raiders are embarassing themselves. I just heard this.

Why didn't they try and get Drew Brees?

Comments

• Options
    Why don't they just go get Jim Plunkett out of retirement. He'd probably play better than Jeff George..LOL! Unbelievable.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Why did they sign him? Don't they have 3 QB's already?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    George has more experience than Tui and Walter are old. If your sorry O line was a bit better he might actually be able to
    get the ball downfield to your so called wide receivers. As long as Lamont is running wild I will be happy. I think the Raiders should
    be hoping that the Eagles win a few more games, so they have no problem getting the first overall pick next year!

JS
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    God I love the Raiders. Only Al Davis would have the onions to pull of a hare-brained move like this. Can you imagine how DULL the NFL would be if it weren't for the Raiders? Love Al or hate him, you can't argue that he isn't good for the league.

It would totally make my day if Jeff George threw for 3500 yards and 18 TD's this year. And the more I think about it I can't think of another QB who would be a better fit for the Raiders. Consider: Jeff George has a pea brain (makes him a great fit for the Silver and Black), he's an NFL cast off (again, that just screams Raiders) and he's got an absolute cannon for an arm-- all the better to run Big Al's Deep Ball offense. In retrospect it's surprising that he didn't end up in Oakland sooner, working through the twilight of his career as a poor man's Darryl Lamonica.

GO RAIDERS!
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Jeff George was very productive in Minnesota before Culpepper took over. If he can get protection, he will find Moss and they will hook up with some big plays. I'd probably rather have him start over the very inconsistent Aaron Brooks.

Should be interesting.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    He is 38 years old and hasen't thrown an NFL pass in five years.

It will be interesting to see if he has anything left.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He won't be competing for the starting job, he's only there in a backup role.

And as was noted, he hasn't been in the league for 5 years...he's not going to be challenging anyone for a starting job anytime soon.
  • Options
    beach64beach64 Posts: 218 ✭✭
    He hasnt played since 2001 when he was run out of Washington. As far as him playing well before Culpepper in Minnesota so did Fran Tarkenton but you dont see teams signing him.

I will give credit to the Raiders though. At least they didnt sign Vince Evans again
  • Options
    I hear Rob Johnson's available - maybe the raiders have a spot for him too.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Why Jeff George - wasn't Ryan Leaf still available?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff George? Im suprised he got off the couch and attempted QB again, more suprised that the Raiders would even call him. Vinny Testaverde would have been a better option.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    can't believe they went after him when Tim Couch is still available.....
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff George must have pictures of Al Davis in drag.
  • Options
    Jeff George cut today:

Link

Anyone else think he was cut due to the public wondering what the hell the raiders were thinking?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love when these old guys get signed out of nowhere to try and recapture a glimmer of glory. Thought the Raiders would look up Todd Marinovich before George, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole thing was completely ridiculis
  • Options
    <<<Why don't they just go get Jim Plunkett out of retirement. He'd probably play better than Jeff George..LOL! Unbelievable. >>>

hey plunkett probably would do better I saw him a few months ago at an old timers charity thingy and he can still throw good 40 plus yards . give him so extra thick pads and some roids hell the raiders might have a chance
  • Options

<< <i> The whole thing was completely ridiculis >>

It truly was. I mean, what the hell were they thinking? Talk about a distraction. Sure ol' Art Shell loved that one. I'm sure it wasn't his idea. Al was masterminding the plan in his little black and silver cocoon and must've made the phone call.
    Then reality set in. Oops!image
  • Options
    george is goneimage
  • Options
    Bring back a real quarterback like Kenny Stabler.
    Jeff George has always been below average, a classic underachiever.
    aknow

Looking for uncirculated Indian Heads and PRS electric guitars