Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advice needed! I was just robbed!

I came home this weekend and found my house was burglarized. In addtion to my computer, monitor, jewlery, car and other items, part of my coin collection was taken as well.

I will file a report with the police, but as all of the coins were unslabbed there probably is little hope to see them again. I do have high resolution pictures of a few of the coins, but I am not sire if that will do anything.

I had one PCGS graded coin stolen as well. Is there some sort registy to notify that this coin was stolen, so if it shiows up for sale or auction i will be notified? I have the pcgs serial numbers.

Any advice is needed and appreciated.

Here is onfo on the graded indian head:

1898 Proof Indian head penny. It was a graded a PR67RD. As there are only eight in this condition, it would be hard to sell this without it being cracked out. The serial number is Cert # 2383.67/1423265

Here are two pictures of the coin.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Nothing worse then a thief !1 Hope you are able to recover all that was stolen ! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry to hear this. That's one benefit to having certified coins, assuming the thief doesn't crack them out, the coins can be identified if they ever turn up at auction or in a dealer's inventory.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    I would list the # on the police report for sure.

And I would keep an eye out in the local pawn and coin shops - chances are it will be peddled to the former, but could end up with the later. Keep the number handy, it might be a link to more of your stuff.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I'm very sorry to hear that. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a deep breath and slow down. Notify the police take invertory of items stolen. Give the best possible description of the items to them. If insured, call them. Check your home and secure it. You can list the coins here and many people will look for the coins and notify you. There is only so much you can do. I've been there and the worst is over. Best of luck, Mike
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    An old and infirm friend's coin collection was stolen and the police could do little but suggested to me to send a list of the coins to all the shops in a couple hundred mile radius. They will notice when a guy comes in selling the exact same coins on your list and push the silent alarm. Good luck, Jerry
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>I'm very sorry to hear that. image

-Amanda >>

Make a list of the coins and take them to any local coin shops in your area. Do it quickly as they will
    probably try to sell them as soon as they can.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Contact all local coin dealers and pawn shops ASAP. Keep in mind that the coin's ID # will become moot if the coin is cracked out of the holder.

Also, think about any private information regarding your identity and/or various accounts that can be obtained through your computer. Make any necessary phone calls to the appropriate parties, including the DMV, any bank, stock or credit card accounts, etc. You might go through your check book and credit card statements in order to refresh your memory regarding possible additional parties to contact. Start at square one and go slowly and methodically. Best of luck.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Contact all local coin dealers and pawn shops ASAP. Keep in mind that the coin's ID # will become moot if the coin is cracked out of the holder. Also, think about any private information regarding your identity and/or various accounts that can be obtained through your computer. Make any necessary phone calls to the appropriate parties, including the DMV, any bank, stock or credit card accounts, etc. You might go through your check book and credit card statements in order to refresh your memory regarding possible additional parties to contact. Start at square one and go slowly and methodically. Best of luck. >>

That is excellent advice, Mark.
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    Thieves are not very smart, thus their career choice.

As Mark said, contact the shops ASAP.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check your HO insurance policy, my umbrella covers $10k in coins, (the policy was $20k in jewlery but I changed it to be 10 and 10),....I never have that amount in my house but in the event its nice to know there covered....I was just asked to have a accurate listing (excel)
    and a photo of the entire collection which I have....I know you must have items that cant be replaced monetarily, but a chunk of cash makes the hunt fun all over again....sorry to hear your bad news

my wife always says , anything that can be fixed with money is a problem in the big scheme.....
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Contact police, insurance company, local dealers, pawn shops, etc. Put together all the detailed information you have as you will need it. You might even consider placing an ad listing a "reward" for the return of the property in the paper and maybe some fliers to put up in local establishments (ie. coin op laundry) There is almost nothing worse than a theif. Sorry that this happened to you and hope that you can get your stuff back.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    The only graded coin stolen was an 1898 Proof Indian head penny. It was a graded a PR67RD. As there are only eight in this condition, it would be hard to sell this without it being cracked out. The serial number is Cert # 2383.67/1423265

Here are two pictures of the coin.

• Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that.

Just wanted to note someone's reply about Excel. The computers were stolen. A lesson for everyone to have backups.

• Options

<< <i>Sorry to hear that.

Just wanted to note someone's reply about Excel. The computers were stolen. A lesson for everyone to have backups. >>

yeah, I print 2 hardcopies every two weeks and keep them in seperate locations..........
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real bummer, sorry....check your homeowners policy.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    <<The only graded coin stolen was an 1898 Proof Indian head penny. It was a graded a PR67RD. As there are only eight in this condition, it would be hard to sell this without it being cracked out>>

That assumes that the thief will get anywhere near full value for it. Many stolen coins, in and out of slabs, are sold for cents on the dollar. Contact the various grading companies and ask them to be on the watch for the coin.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Contact all local coin dealers and pawn shops ASAP. Keep in mind that the coin's ID # will become moot if the coin is cracked out of the holder.

Also, think about any private information regarding your identity and/or various accounts that can be obtained through your computer. Make any necessary phone calls to the appropriate parties, including the DMV, any bank, stock or credit card accounts, etc. You might go through your check book and credit card statements in order to refresh your memory regarding possible additional parties to contact. Start at square one and go slowly and methodically. Best of luck. >>

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark's advice is dead on, so I wont repeat.

Very sorry for your loss. Thieves are despicable. That 1898 cent looks like a jewel. I hope you get that one back for sure.

John
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Thieves, beyond petty thieves, should in my opinion face the death penalty. Because they don't, many do not fear getting caught.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thieves, beyond petty thieves, should in my opinion face the death penalty. Because they don't, many do not fear getting caught.

image >>

Most thieves start out petty thieves.

Cut off their right hands.
  • Options
    Just called PCGS. They do not offer any service such as a registry for stolen coins etc..., nor will they be "on the lookout" for this coin. Sucks. I still need to read my homeowner's policy, but I am afraid it will not cover coins sepearte and apart from the stadard jewlery coverage. I will find out.

• Options
    I am cataloging which coins were taken. Looks like they nabbed these three as well.

Click here to see larger size Obverse

Click here to see larger size image of reverse
  • Options

<< <i>Just called PCGS...... nor will they be "on the lookout" for this coin. Sucks. I still need to read my homeowner's policy, but I am afraid it will not cover coins sepearte and apart from the stadard jewlery coverage. I will find out. >>

I have heard otherwise in the past, regarding PCGS' watching for stolen coins. Try them again and ask to be able to email or speak to Steve Mayer or a grader there.

I would be shocked if your insurance policy covered the loss fo the coin unless you had a personal articles policy, too.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    That stinks,I hope they're able to catch the thief...
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have high-res images of any pieces, send them to PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. If they're on the lookout, they might be able to recognize one it's sent in raw to them.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck. I had my car broken into and my luggage and wallet stolen in Italy this summer. It stinks. I hope you have cancelled all your credit cards, stopped payment on any missing checks, changed all online passwords, etc.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

You need to contact the 3 credit reporting bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) and notify one bureau that you are at risk of being a victim of identity theft and have them place your info and your wife? or whoever else's info might be on that PC on Fraud Alert! This is VERY important!!!!

I would also cancel any/all credit cards, checking accounts, etc... in anyone's name that uses the pc, etc...

Here is an excellent page I found with one quick google. Good luck and I hope for your sake that at the VERY least they don't screw with your identity.

LINK
  • Options
    Why is everone so concerned about my credit cards, identity theft? I did not store any of this infomation on my pc. Are hackers able to extract this information, just based on previous web based purchases i made?
  • Options
    do you want to take that risk and find out later they Were able to?

Identity theft is what you really should be concerned about here. The coins are nothing compared to the problems they can cause you if they start opening accounts, etc in your name.
  • Options

<< <i>Why is everone so concerned about my credit cards, identity theft? I did not store any of this infomation on my pc. Are hackers able to extract this information, just based on previous web based purchases i made? >>

yes, if they are computer savvy.........
  • Options
    park that indian in a registry set !

if any body tries to add it to theyres youll be notified !
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Why is everone so concerned about my credit cards, identity theft?

ID theft protection is only available to victims. You are lucky in a sense that you can today receive ID theft protection without yet being a victim and fighting that horrible fight.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is everone so concerned about my credit cards, identity theft? I did not store any of this infomation on my pc. Are hackers able to extract this information, just based on previous web based purchases i made? >>

They were in your house. They could have recorded credit card numbers, socials, addresses, prior addresses, birthdays, etc from items they could find. When my credit card was stolen, $2,500 was charged on it within minutes.

Yes report this to the credit agencies.... so they will contact you if anyone tries to establish new credit in your name.

Does your computer cache files? Most likely yes. They can view web pages you've been to. You are at risk!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    but don't listen to me .......

what do I know.image
  • Options
    If you have EVER entered your credit card info to make an on-line purchase that information is still in your computer. The average person would not be able to find it but there are processes that computer gurus can use to get it back.
    Someone stealing your identity can be worth more than any coin.
    Good luck and as others have said, go slow and be thorough.
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    find that son of a gun!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    Sorry to here about that.

As for your computer unless they took every wire they will probably sell it. The first thing a crooked buyer does is take out the hard drive and run a program on it that finds all your personal info SS# CC# all of those stand out very easily.

Not that you have to give out your town but where was this robbery, what region or state this way we can be aware.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listen; They were in your house. Aside from the PC, any letters, documents, papers could've been taken. Duplicate keys: auto, home, locks or safe deposit. I'm not saying they are that smart, but they could be. Please don't put yourself and family at any more risk.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. You got some very good information on this thread to help you repair the damage.

It seems to me that the major grading services should each provide a listing of all of their graded coins reported stolen on police reports. This list should be accessible on the grading service website at no charge, and updated in a timely manner. This sure would help nab the Ebay sellers of stolen encapsulated coins, thereby forcing the thief to break out the coin from its holder before sale. Selling raw coins is a lot harder than selling major TPG coins.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your search! That's another reason to get your coins slabbed and enter your coins into a registry. I have several coins from a fellow members' set that WAS stolen. He had a lot of coins stolen, gold and platinum coins as well as my sets' coins. He contacted the police and they kept a lookout. He DID recover his Kennedys. WHY? Because they are JUNK! At least that's what the thieves thought! They used an old Redbook I guess to price the coins. For instance, they priced a 1964 PCGS MS 67 Kennedy at $1.50, yes, ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY CENTS! LOL Anyone here want to buy it for that? ALL of the gold and platinum coins were broken out from the slabs and sold for melt! Oimage

The thieves apparently followed him home from the bank. That's why you have to be careful if you take them from the bank. He was going to inventory them, or did actually complete his inventory. The thieves apparently took them to a pawn shop where they at least noticed the Kennedys and called the police. There were board members here that helped with the search.

Watch E-bay and see if your coin might end up there. They are probably smart enough to know about E-bay and try and sell your coins there. The indian penny should be easy to search for and spot if it ends up there. They might wait up to a month to sell to let the dust settle. Also check Yahoo since it's free to sell there, I think. I'm not sure since I don't sell my coins. GODD LUCK AND FIND THE BASTAGES!!!!! Rayimageimage
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep an eye open for it showing up on ebay or some other auction- a lot of times thieves are stupid or are not coin people and he may not realize that the PCGS # on the slab is unique and can be traced easily. However even it is does show up on ebay you can not be sure that it is the theif that is selling it..Could be fenced or given to a consignment seller..but at least you have a chance---i feel your pain--i lost a lot of my collection to a theif on Oct. 5,1990..Fortunately my main collection was in a Safe-deposit box in the bank--but still i had a big loss--nothing was ever recovered. Good luck. Bob
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    You never know, sometimes good luck follows bad.
    Trime
  • Options
    Is there a clearing house of sorts, where serial #'s of stolen coins can be entered and compared to auction sites ? I have not heard of any---but maybe one is out there, or should be ! Otherwise 5, 10, 20 years from now it may show up and how could you prove the coin was your and also stolen ? Sorry to hear of your misfortune and good luck !

PS consider some protection for your valuables in the future-----45mm Glock !!!or maybe a home safe or a bank deposit box.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    There is no clearinghouse for slab serial numbers of stolen coins. (Actually there have been a couple but they have never lasted for long.) It has been suggested that such a list be started on several occaisions, but one problem is that the list will be quickly filled with slabs that have been cracked out by the crooks (minor problem), and it will also wind up having coins listed on it that were recovered but the owner neglected to remove the coins from the list. (a major embarrassment when a legitimate owner tries to sell them and finds himself being arrested on a stolen goods charge.)

Then there is the complaint that it either takes to long to consult the list (nonsense since the list should be computerized and an entered number should be found in seconds by a simple search command.). A more reasonable complaint is that it would but off even a legitimate seller to watch the person you are selling to then start entering the numbers into a stolen goods search register. (Eventually when they finally start to realize that such a list protects everyone the resistance should decline.)

A problem that has been voiced in the past is a concern about what if the coins on the list aren't actually stolen.. The answer to that would be to require that new submissions to the list be accompanied by a scan of the police report with the coins listed. This could also be linked to the serial number so that if a dealer enters a number and gets a hit he also gets the scan of the police report. (lets him know who to contact.)

Finally there is the problem ofwhat to do if you do get hit. Do you just pass on the purchase? Contact the local police and hope they get there before the seller leaves? Confiscate the coin and hope like heck it isn't a screwup on the list? Or go ahead and buy the coin and hope the owner will reimburse you? (Probably best is to try and buy it as low as possible and get as much ID from the seller as possible.)

What I would envision for such list would simply be a website where a purchasing dealer just has to type in the number and hit ENTER. and it returlns either a no hits or a notice that the coin is reported stolen and the scan of the police report. And of course there would be a page where a victim could enter his numbers and upload a scan of the report. There should be a page where recovered coins can be entered to remove them from the list. (This would have to be a password protected feature so that a thief doesn't just remove the coins from the list before he goes to sell them. The password could be selected by the victim when he makes a stolen coin report.)

Another feature it should have is the possibility to downoad the list to a dealers computer so he can search the file while making purchases at a show. In this case, in order to keep the download size reasonable, it would not download the police reports. The download couldbe a simple text file that you can search with a "Find" command. It's fast and simple andif it finds an entered number then you know it has been reported as stolen. (The list could also be sorted printed out so it can be searched manually for those who don't have a laptop at a show, but that might be rather cumbersome.

Now the real problem. Getting someone to set it up and run it.
  • Options
    Here is a little update on my robbery. They caught the person who broke into my house. He told them where he sold my coins and other goods, there were three pawn shops he sold them at. The police reccovered all of the stolen items except for the coins. The perp said he sold it at a certain pawn shop which the police know has a reputation as fencing goods. Of course that owner denied receiving buying the coins, he gave the police different coins claiming these were the coins he bought. So got back mostly junk. The police know he has my coin, and will put pressure on him.

I any event I just noticed that my PR67RD penny with a population of just 7 just magically increased to a population of 8. Is there any way to find out who submitted that coin. Because if we can track it back to the coin dealer, the police can nail him.
  • Options
    GREAT NEWS on the non-coin stuff being returned. Best of luck on the coins
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a little update on my robbery. They caught the person who broke into my house. He told them where he sold my coins and other goods, there were three pawn shops he sold them at. The police reccovered all of the stolen items except for the coins. The perp said he sold it at a certain pawn shop which the police know has a reputation as fencing goods. Of course that owner denied receiving buying the coins, he gave the police different coins claiming these were the coins he bought. So got back mostly junk. The police know he has my coin, and will put pressure on him.

I any event I just noticed that my PR67RD penny with a population of just 7 just magically increased to a population of 8. Is there any way to find out who submitted that coin. Because if we can track it back to the coin dealer, the police can nail him. >>

I think what the pawn shop did is more despicable than what the original thief did!! image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I any event I just noticed that my PR67RD penny with a population of just 7 just magically increased to a population of 8. Is there any way to find out who submitted that coin. Because if we can track it back to the coin dealer, the police can nail him. >>

If there is ANY possible way to do that, I suspect the authorities would have to contact PCGS.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I am burning mad at the pawn shop owner. The thief was on drugs and needed a fix. This pawn shop owner lied to my face, lied to the police, and changed his story thre times. First he never saw the coin, then he saw the coin, but the theif didnt want to sell it, then the theif wanted to sell it but he would not buy it because he thought it might be stolen and traceable!

I was so mad. I had about $25,000 worth of coins, stolen and he gave me back maybe 200 worth of coins claiming these were the coins he bought.

The only good news is they caught the original theif, and I do not keep any coins at home any more. I would not buy a safe, it is too inviting to be robbed. The safest way to play it is leave everything outside the home.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file