Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Texas Coin and Currency set Satin Finish quarter?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>i got a set on e-bay, just for fun and a little greed like buying an expensive lottery ticket. it came in today, and the quarters are way too lustrous to be called satin finish. excellent quality coins, super sharp strikes, but probably not worth breaking up the set to submit. >>

Well, that's a real bubble burster!

Jerry
  • Options
    Who's to say the Quarters weren't switched out for Quarters from theUNC. sets ? The Coin & Currency Quarters are only housed in non-sealed plastic capsules !
  • Options
    that would hurt!
  • Options
    I think someone switched the quarters on you Larry.
  • Options
    if so, at least they were thoughtful enough to give me a couple nice high grade examples.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    If these are Satin Finish and when this gets out more than likely the coins will be switched out when the Texas Coin and Currency sets are sold on ebay. Either that or the BEP originally only put Satin Finish in some of the sets and not the entire 2000 sets.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    watch out for switched out quarters in these sets. I made sure when buying that the seller was the orig buyer from the BEP and that the sets were not opened - and all the contents - incl the quarters were as rec'd from the BEP. You always could have a liar out there and they'll switch them out anyway.....
  • Options

<< <i>i got a set on e-bay, just for fun and a little greed like buying an expensive lottery ticket. it came in today, and the quarters are way too lustrous to be called satin finish. excellent quality coins, super sharp strikes, but probably not worth breaking up the set to submit. >>

Well my set definitely contains satin finish quarters, very high grade examples. Sounds like someone did the old switcheroo on you.image
  • Options
    The Sets are not sealed from the BEP. They are contained in an outer cardboard box with houses the inner portion of the set. They are not shrink-wrap sealed, only placed in a plastic envelope with the serial # of the currency noted on the outside. Impossible to detect if it was previously opened.
  • Options
    i doubt i would have recv'd such high grade coins in a switch. these could be worth much more than i paid for the set as slabbed business strikes. these are virtually mark-free and razor sharp strikes.

possible some of the "first strikes" are satiny in texture and are included in some sets. time will tell.
  • Options
    If you have a UNC. Texas quarter and a Satin finish quarter from 2005 or 2006, place them side -by-side with the BEP Texas Quarter. It should be readily apparent that the BEP Quarter is Satin or Matte Finish, assuming your wasn't switched out .
  • Options
    larrynj you could have Satin Finish Quarters. I compared mine to a business strike PCGS MS 68 and they looked very similar. More so than the 2005 Satin Finish Quarters. I am almost, thats almost sure, they are Satin Finish but will wait and see what Mr. Hall has to say. Judging from the quick sellout at the BEP I suspect there will be a lot paper money collectors that won't let this set go so easily.

• Options
    if they are very high grade (i.e. no marks) they probably have not been switched. These are SATIN.
  • Options

<< <i>these could be worth much more than i paid for the set as slabbed business strikes. >>

I thought you said that the coins wouldn't be worth much to have them slabbed because you did not want to break up the set??
  • Options
    if they come back pcgs-69's , great, otherwise they're not worth squat as business strikes.
  • Options
    I got off the phone with CaarolJ and Ron Guth has agreed to examine the quarters himself, so I will be sending them out this week and keep you guys updated.

Jeff
  • Options
    how about posting some pics of these quarters? i would, but i haven't figured out the web hosting thing yet.
  • Options
    posted pics here

• Options
    They are definitely satin finish.
    My business strike Texas D in MS68 has a satin finish to it. Some were given satin finish in bags and mint sets for 2004
    they were there but few and far in between.
    The only explanation would be testing finishes in 2004, for the upcoming 2005 sets.
    But I definitely have satin finish coins from 2004.
  • Options
    So - do we have the attention of PCGS on this topic (coins sent in) or dont we? Seems like we are a little thirsty for more info??
  • Options
    coins have been sent to Mr. Guth, all 4 so we will see?
  • Options
    ar18 - any update? Not meaning to be pesty, but, you said Mr Hall or Guth was personnally going to look at these quarters.....are you getting the attention that they said they were going to give you and your coins?

Based on the time elapsing, me thinks they went through normal channels image Not a good sign.
  • Options
    In Sept 18th Coin World in an answer to a letter to the editor Coin World again reported that Mint Officials say that the quarters are NOT satin finish. Personally I think either the Mint officials have no idea what they are talking about and aren't honest enough to say they don't know but will find out, or they are just deliberately lying to us again.
  • Options
    Did they ever figure out how the Wisconsin low and high leaf errors occured? The mint is often clueless.
  • Options
    Great point PF!
  • Options
    Mr. Guth received the coins, or atleast PCGS did on monday and just waiting on the verdict. I don't want to bother him I am sure he is very busy, but I will call in a few days if I don't hear anything.

Jeff
  • Options
    you have us on the edge of our seats - well are they or aren't they?

Guth should be able to figure this one out in about 2-3 minutes .........any numistmatist can do so.

Or, is there a big PR effort behind the scenes on how these can be recognized as Satin when the Mint says they aren't?
  • Options
    They were received and logged last monday, called thursday, they said it was noted on the sub # to go to Mr. Guth. I will follow up again in a few days. Guys, PCGS has other stuff to do besides this. I did get an email from David Hall on Thurs, CC'ed to carol and Mr. Guth saying the ball was in Mr. Guth's court. I am sure the president of PCGS has a few things to do each day. Relax!
  • Options
    Thanks for the update !
  • Options
    This eBayer states that he sent his coins into PCGS and received MS68s no SF designation.
    Linky
  • Options
    There is always time to get some coffee and donuts, etc.

AR18, this is a major discovery and could be the rarest find in state quarters (only 4000 available) - not to mention catching the mint experimenting with a finish not used until 2005......a little more important than a normal "presidential review". You would think they want to break the story first - if it has merit....which I strongly believe it does.

I hate to say it but, in my opinion, the lack of attention doesnt look good.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    Look at that E-bayers past. It's NOT pretty! He has sold a LOT of Ikes that he claims are PKOKs. He is a coin doctor. He also has TWO E-bay IDs. I serously doubt he has sent in any coins. I would believe he has just got two MS 68 coins from E-bay or other sources. This way, he hopes he can catch some buyers interestde in high grade coins. Then, if he keeps the real coins from the set, AND, they ARE deemed to be satin....

Of course this is just my opinion. It is possible he did send them in. But he hasn't submitted any PKOKs and received grades. I have my one set I bought for my collection. If it's really satin, it will still only be worth the $130 I paid for it as it won't be for sale. Like almost all my other coins. Except for the few I bought from the mint to sell and use the profit for free coins.image
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    I agree; while your patience is certainly admirable, we all know that PCGS graders look at a coin for about 20 seconds before assigning a grade. Granted that the president of PCGS has a lot to do, but with a potentially big story like this (for reasons that 7over8 posted), one would think that el presidente could spare 20 seconds to glance at your coin.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    I agree about this ebayer. He probably switched the coins. PCGS 68 D's can be bought very cheaply. I have bought several sets already and all but one set does not have Satin Finish Coins. It was a very low serial number in the low 2500's so I didnt really care about those quarters in the set. Either the mint did not put all Satin Finish Coins in the sets originally( indicating that there are less than 4000 or they were switched out by the sellers. Once this gets out those sets will be pillaged (those not in collectors hands) making them ever more rare with the Satin Finish Coins in tact with the set.
  • Options
    If PCGS gives you the cold shoulder there's always NGC and ANACS who wouldn't mind being the first to certify these.
  • Options
    I sent a follow up email to Mr. Hall, Mr. Guth and CarolJ requesting an update. Remember guys, they are doing this for free and I am sure both Mr. Guth and Mr. Hall do travel quite a bit. The coins don't just go onto Mr. Guth's desk, they go into a vault for him to retrieve. I am sure they will come to a conclusion soon enough, and you guys will be the first to know.

Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!image

• Options
    Any news on this yet?
  • Options
    They must be swamped with all the AGE Anniversary Sets.
  • Options
    Here is the final word!

After examining your coins, we have come to the conclusion that PCGS does not
    consider them to be Satin Finish. The quality of your coins appears to be
    above-average, but not up to the quality of the 2005 Satin Finish coins. While
    it is possible that the Mint may have experimented with new finishes in 2004,
    there is no evidence that they did. In fact, Mint officials have explicitly
    denied having done so. Thus, there is no documentary evidence on which to hang
    a Satin Finish conclusion, nor are the coins convincing enough.

Sincerely yours,
  • Options
    case closed
  • Options
    Thanks for the update! Oh well, at least it's nice having 4 bills crisp uncirculated with the same serial number. That's why I bought it in the first place. VERY nice presentation folder too! Maybe next time..... Ray

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Now send them to NGC and see if the case can be reopened. image

A large part of PCGS's answer seems to me to be based on the fact that the mint says that they didn't make any. Personally I wouldn't trust that source as far as I could throw it. Remember they have also said that 1944 no P nickels are genuine, that they did not change the date font/size on the cent in 1960, 1969-S doubled die cents are counterfeit, that they don't make error coins, that since 1997 doubled dies are impossible, The Wisconson high leaf was the result of accidental die damage such as a die clash, and many other fabrications, misleading statements, and outright lies.
  • Options
    "Here is the final word!

... Thus, there is no documentary evidence on which to hang
    a Satin Finish conclusion, nor are the coins convincing enough."

pcgs said specifically that the coins were not sf in their opinion.

• Options
    The End is Here---Nostradamus
  • Options
    I'm not sure if this is old news...ANACS does not indicate Satin Finish on the holder.
    I'm not a vigilante, I'm an undocumented border patrol agent!
  • Options
    1 1 10408963 14029 2004-D 25C Texas US Refund No Service
    1 2 10408964 14029 2004-D 25C Texas US Refund No Service
    1 3 10408965 14029 2004-D 25C Texas US Refund No Service
    1 4 10408966 14029 2004-D 25C Texas US Refund No Service

Total Items: 4

Date Received: 9/18/2006

Date Shipped: N/A

Order Status: OK
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file