Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Texas Coin and Currency set Satin Finish quarter?

Does anyone know if the quarters that are a part of the BEP's Texas Coin and Currency set are Satin Finish? I had a set that i just sold and sent and i think i might regret doing that. I looked at them for a bit then closed it up and mailed it, after i thought about it i think they looked like Satin finish. If anyone can shed some light on this i would appreciate it. If they are Satin then off to eBay i go to buy it back. Only 4000 quarters would exist.

Thanks
Robert

Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    With over a million satin finish quarters included in the US Mint Sets - what would be special about the ones in the Texas sets?

I would think nothing.image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    when was texas released, if it was before 2005 then its a valid question...im too lazy to check.

if it were before 2005, i doubt they made special finish coins for it. The mint I believe is actually prohibited from restriking previous issues

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    just released and oversold
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    first day of release July 26th this year I think.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    Texas quarters came out in 2004. I have seen info stating that only 4000 special finish quarters were made and they were only going to be in these sets. Each set has two quarters showing both the obverse and reverses in the set. There were a limit of 2000 of these Texas currency sets made by the BEP. I haven't seen my set yet so I can't say if they are indeed satin finsih coins. I E-mailed a couple sellers and they don't know if they are satin finsih coins or not because they are not coin collectors. It would indeed be a treat if they actually WERE satin finish coins, like in the 97 set with the nickles. If anyone here has a set, I'd like to know too. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I will take a look at my set tonight. I briefly looked at the quarters and they were in pristine condition, but it never occurred to me that they might be Satin Finish. I have to re-examine and see if this is stated at all in the packaging anywhere. However on the BEP site it just states they are uncirculated quarters. No mention of Satin Finish. Texas Coin and Currency Set
  • Options
    eagerly awaiting a response from the USA judge...image
  • Options
    No mention of Satin Finish in the COA. Sorry but I viewed the Texas quarters and they are business strike.
  • Options
    Aww shucks- I guess i'll sell my last set knowing that there isn't anything all that special about it except the hype created by the limited number available. I want to THANK everyone for their input.

Robert
    Always needing more PCGS MS69 Millennium SAE's.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭
    THANKS PF70collector. Now we can put that rumor to rest! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    Just bought a set today and opened it, they are Satin finish Quarters, frosty, grey mark free. I Think these are special quarters.
  • Options
    I just checked against a 2005 and 2006 mint set, these are Satin!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    All marks on the coin are on the holder.

• Options
    Yup! Mine defintely APPEAR to be satin too! Very nice examples actually.
  • Options
    Very Nice- I wonder if it would be graded as satin by PCGS. If they do graded as SF i would think a MS65 would bring atleast the cost of the set.
  • Options
    Any others have input? currently 2 say SATIN and 1 says NOT.
  • Options
    Mine sure don't look Satin. What's up here? Can the mint verify that they are Satin Finish?
  • Options
    I am comparing mine to a PGCS Texas MS 68 business strike(I have a complete set of PCGS BS State Quarter to 2004) and it looks closer in color and finish to that than in comparison to a 2005 Satin Finish mint set. Maybe the U.S. mint can verify what these are? Coin World maybe? Even the PCGS graders have been fooled by these Satin Finish thinking they are BS Strike coins so we need to verify this thru the US Mint. I personally don't think mine would grade SF at PCGS. Just an opinion here, don't take this for fact.
  • Options
    Anybody else have any of these sets?
  • Options
    I'll have one in-hand in a day or two, and I'm very curious to see what the coins look like.

- Mark
  • Options
    I checked my set, and the texas quarter is indeed either a matte finish or a satin finish. If, in fact, only 2 thousand of these were produced this coin would certainly qualify as a "key" coin in the State Quarter program---not unlike the 1995 W in the ASE Program !
  • Options
    I would be willing to send my coins off frm one of my sets to David Hall, to put this to bed.
  • Options

<< <i>I checked my set, and the texas quarter is indeed either a matte finish or a satin finish. If, in fact, only 2 thousand of these were produced this coin would certainly qualify as a "key" coin in the State Quarter program---not unlike the 1995 W in the ASE Program ! >>

Only if they were said to be SF by the mint or PCGS??
    Otherwise, no big deal ?
    Just curious and learning
    Kip
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The Texas Qtrs DO look like satin finish. I just viewed mine.
  • Options
    raycyca - where did you see the info about striking 4000 qtrs for these sets?
  • Options
    raycyca - where did you see the info about striking 4000 qtrs for these sets

2000 sets sold, 2 quarters per set = 4000 coins
  • Options
    I am still on the fence on this but am leaning toward Satin Finish after comparing them to the business strike again and the 2005 Satin Finish Mint Sets. But the difference is very suttle when compared to the Business Strike and is a lot grayer in color than 2005 Satin Finish. I still don't understand why this was not mentioned in the COA if these were specially struck. I guess we will find out sooner or later.
  • Options
    COA, oh well fact is if you look at the qaurters,100%(outside experts) have agreed that these are special finish, call it Satin, call it Matte, whatever, this needs to be reviewed by a third party, hopefully PCGS, sent messsage to Carol for David, I hope he responds. This will get out eventually!
  • Options
    to me as a numismatist, this is clear, some one needs to step up and take control, I would ove to hear from David Hall, maybe coin world or numismatic news may be interested?
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "I would be willing to send my coins off frm one of my sets to David Hall, to put this to bed."

Jeff, it's now Monday CLOSE OF BUSINESS! Why didn't you ovedrnight them to PCGS today?!?! imageimage

What are you waiting for dude? imageimage
  • Options
    Well I never contacted Coin World before but did send an email to them early today about this through their contact email on their website. Don't know if this is the proper channel to do this though.
  • Options
    AR18--Please keep us informed as to the status of the Texas C&C Quarter if you do overnight them to PCGS, Thank You !
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So did the mint actually restrike the 2004 Texas quarter in 2006 to make a Satin finish?
  • Options
    These qtrs are definitely SATIN finish. The coloring, the mark free surfaces, definitely special strikes.
    I put a call into the BEP to understand how these were procured from the US Mint and by what method - (special order, etc.)
    I would think that these were struck in 2004 from specially prepped dies (satin fin) 4,000 strikes and delivered to be inserted in these sets.
    Regular business strikes do not look like this. Reg business strikes would be fairly marked up just like circulating coins. Look at your mint set quarters from 1999-2004........they have regular strike quarters - no special treatment.
  • Options
    AR18 - I was referring not to the number of coins but to the comment made about "special striking"..
  • Options
    I contacted Mr. Hall's Admin Assist. and left CarolJ a message on her voice mail. I requested David Hall review the coins and am supposed to get a phone call hopefully tomorrow, but I will stay on top of this until it is resolved. I agree, these are satin or matte finish coins.
  • Options
    Jeff,
    Do you think after these are verified being satin that the rest of the board members would send me one of these quarters? Or maybe we can get a magazine article mention?

Robert image
  • Options
    robertram, i can not speak for fellow board members sending them to you. Eferyone is looking to score(actually I am not) I have my few sets, just want it attributed. As for publishing, probally, I can call Billy Crawford and get this in Numismatic News. I have other sources too, but Billy is great!!! Let's see what Mr. Hall says and go from there as I have the most resprect in his abilitiies and will see what PCGS thinks.

Mr. Hall has the ability and expertise to deterime a final answer. I will sort through here first, since I am a long time platnium memeber, I think this will get resolved. Remember I know many die varietry experts out there who love stuff like this..

As for now with 2 phone calls and 1 PM and 1 e-mail, I am sure PCGS will inspect the coins. I know DH was gone today, so I will keep trying(but expect him to contact me). I am willing to prove my point, I just want DH to examine the coins. This could be a huge discovery and it seems as thought we have alot of backing on the finish(ANA,TNA). Let's put this to bed once the coins go. I have 6 ready to fly out the door.

Members I will do my very best to get this done, someone must listen,and I think Mr. Hall will, he has always be inspired by new numismatic finds). So let's a ll relax a little and let this play out.

Jeff
  • Options
    I just talked to CarolJ and she is going to talk to Ron and David on Tues about how to approach this. I will keep ou updated as we go along.
  • Options
    PCGS already knows about the article, there is another thread on this, relax, we are going to prove the BEP wrong.
  • Options
    Anybody subscribe to Coin World online? Could they post the article here.
  • Options
    still waiting for mine to come, tfiredt get some to summuze, with no luck, nowories.
  • Options
    The Mint REP is a moron. He probably hasnt seen a Satin Finish qtr .

I know what I have in front of me. Somebody at the Mint was experimenting over there with Satin Finish Dies.

Prove 'em wrong.
  • Options
    I know what I have in front of me. Somebody at the Mint was experimenting over there with Satin Finish Dies.

That is my job, on its way, give a few daysand I'll give an update. We know what we have,this will get out eventually!
  • Options
    If this does pan out it would make this dime worthy of a closer look.2004 dime
    If I was half as smart as I am dumb Iwould be a genious
  • Options
    AR18 - if these guys get proven wrong and the holders of the Texas sets have Satin Finish qtrs - we all owe you a beer........

• Options
    i got a set on e-bay, just for fun and a little greed like buying an expensive lottery ticket. it came in today, and the quarters are way too lustrous to be called satin finish. excellent quality coins, super sharp strikes, but probably not worth breaking up the set to submit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file