Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

NFL HOF'ers to come

2»

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I don't think Battis will make on his FIRST try, mainly because of the competition going in that year..Plus the fact that he will liekly be lower on the top 20 All-Time Rushing list than he is right now...

But 2nd-5th year is a realistic expectation for him.

I try to pick up all the future HOFers as well. At least the ones I think have at least a 75% chance. Doesn't always work out as I sold my PSA 9 Harry Carson after he didnt get in 2005..Same for my Rayfiled Wright PSA 9 RC once he didnt get in...

There are SOO many borderline guys and/or guys that could pop up as a senior candidate and get in that its near impossible to collect them all. Who would've though Benny Friedman would get the call in 2005 after 75 years of being overlooked.

Its a fun gamble and always great speculation...Next years senior candidates will be released sometime this month...
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bottom line on Monk is that it seems most of the voters think he was just boring..Quiet guy, never spectacular...I think its Peter King who coined him " The king of 8-yard hooks".

He needed to get in BEFORE the WR numbers got "Jerry Rice stupid"...Thats how Joiner made it...If he were up today, he wouldnt get in either...

The 3 pro bowls and 1 first team all-pro selection in a 16 year career isnt helping him either..It tells the voters he wasn't held in a HOF/Superstar type regard while he was playing..

If Monk doesnt get in this year, he may never get in... >>

Jasp, well said, I think this is his last year or it's going to get increasingly difficult.

The guy may have retired with the most receptions, but he played 16 years. That's a lot of time to bulk up mediocre stats. He never had more than 8 td's in a season, had only 5 1000 yard seasons, and finished his career with 68 touchdowns. 68 touchdowns in 16 seasons just isn't that impressive.

shawn
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Emmit Smith
    Lynn Swan
    Jerry Rice
    Bruce Smith

Locks.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I've actually gone through the list of the 15 finalists from 1970 through 2006 and come up with a list of every candidate that hasn't been voted in. From there, I have been trying to accumulate their rookie cards and/or autographed cards (if either exist) to have if they are inducted in the future. This isn't an entirely effective because the senior committe candidates are often inducted on their first nomination.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I've actually gone through the list of the 15 finalists from 1970 through 2006 and come up with a list of every candidate that hasn't been voted in

Hey Greg! Is that list available for "public consumption" or are you hoarding?image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've actually gone through the list of the 15 finalists from 1970 through 2006 and come up with a list of every candidate that hasn't been voted in

Hey Greg! Is that list available for "public consumption" or are you hoarding?image >>

Just send me an e-mail and I'll forward the list.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I usually don't even bother with these threads any more since Jason has it researched better than I do. I'd like to point to Gary Anderson and perhaps Morten Andersen as likely candidates that have not been mentioned. Only one pure kicker in the hall so far, but it would be hard to keep out the 2 dominant kickers of the last 20 years, and top 2 scorers in the NFL's history. Keeping Ray Guy out is also a travesty, he defined his position, unglorious as it may be. It stopped amazing me years ago that they keep Monk out while Swann gets in.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Is Aeneas Williams a possible HOFer? Anyone know the numbers on him for Pro Bowls etc?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is Aeneas Williams a possible HOFer? Anyone know the numbers on him for Pro Bowls etc? >>

I think Aeneas Williams has a great shot when he comes up in 2010. In my opnion, he was the second best cover CB of his era behind Deion. A true shut down guy.

He went to 8 Pro Bowls and was a first team All-Pro 4 times. He also went to a Super Bowl with the Rams..

Some good arguments for him? 12 defensive TDs, 55 INTs, and was named to the 1990's All-Decade Team (2nd team) behind Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders...

His biggest disadvantage is that he played most of his career in Arizona and didn't get a lot of pub...I don't think he's a first ballot guy, but I'd say he's got a 75-80% chance of eventually being elected.
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I also think A. Williams is a lock, he was overshadowed for many years but when he went to the Rams during their run he was finally noticed by many(including myself).
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards