Home Sports Talk

David Ortiz

jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
You can't stop him

Comments

• I can. Just throw David Wells and Ortiz in a ring and let them do sumo.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's been the most fearsome hitter in MLB over the last 2 seasons. An absolute beast!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    Hard to believe the Twins just let this guy go

Imagine the Twin team now if they still had a guy like Ortiz in their lineup

DP
  • I was watching the game last night...as much as I hate Ortiz/Boston, you've gotta tip your hat to this guy. Unless Boston crashes at the end of the season (please God) I don't see how he can not be MVP. Even though he is a DH and I do think being a DH is a negative among voters, I still think he overcomes that by his awesome production, esp in the clutch.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    He shoulda got the MVP last year. He was robbed.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's been the most fearsome hitter in MLB over the last 2 seasons. An absolute beast! >>

ONE of the most feared.

Check out this.

Sporting News - Ortiz vs Pujols

Shane

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    The man is just incredible. Normally, I tune out by the 8th or 9th if it's a frustrating game, but I just had this weird feeling that there was going to be one of these dramatic moments again. Now I've seen Ortiz fail as many times as he's come through so I know realistically, he can never do EVERY time, no one can. However last night was one of the nights. I just knew something was going to happen as soon as he came up to bat. Hats off to Big Papi!
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>He shoulda got the MVP last year. He was robbed. >>

What makes you say that?

Arod and Ortiz had similar numbers, but Arod played defense everyday.

The only way a DH should ever win an MVP is if he is head and shoulders numbers-wise above everyone else. That wasn't the case last year.
  • jad22jad22 Posts: 535 ✭✭
    Too bad that that article is written by a chump. Including the playoffs he has 10 walk off homeruns 9 with the sox. Since that jerks article has been written add three more game winning hits including 2 homeruns.
    I'd like to see a stat that shows how many times Ortiz has been up, with a chance for a walk off hit, and he's failed to do it.

Would be interesting to see the comparison.
  • Every other night on Baseball Tonight (bring back Reynolds!) you see the guy crushing it to beat someone, I honestly can't remember anyone with such a clutch binge.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to see a stat that shows how many times Ortiz has been up, with a chance for a walk off hit, and he's failed to do it.

Would be interesting to see the comparison. >>

Ax lets not get carried away here. In a game when the very best fail 7 out of 10 times, to be as "Clutch" as often as Ortiz has been, he deserves EVERY ounce of credit he gets.

<< <i>You can't stop him >>

You really cant even contain him either........

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd like to see a stat that shows how many times Ortiz has been up, with a chance for a walk off hit, and he's failed to do it.

Ax lets not get carried away here. In a game when the very best fail 7 out of 10 times, to be as "Clutch" as often as Ortiz has been, he deserves EVERY ounce of credit he gets. >>

Who's getting carried away?

I simply asked if anyone had the stat available...people forget the failures, and only focus on the successes.

• Ax, HOF'er average around 3 hits per 10 at bats. Are those 7 times enough to be calling them failures?
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>Ax, HOF'er average around 3 hits per 10 at bats. Are those 7 times enough to be calling them failures? >>

Please tell me where I called *anyone* a failure? I'll wait.

What I said was asking the number of times he's failed to produce a walk off hit...that's hardly calling anyone a failure.

• Isn't he leading all active players in walk offs? I'm not sure, but I heard a stat of this sort come up. He maybe the active leader since 2000; I'm not positive.

"I'd like to see a stat that shows how many times Ortiz has been up, with a chance for a walk off hit, and he's failed to do it."

Right now I'd take him over everyone in the Majors for hitting when he needs to. The best DH? Martinez was great, but never shined in the postseason.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>Isn't he leading all active players in walk offs? I'm not sure, but I heard a stat of this sort come up. He maybe the active leader since 2000; I'm not positive.
    "I'd like to see a stat that shows how many times Ortiz has been up, with a chance for a walk off hit, and he's failed to do it." >>

Again, that doesn't address the number of times he's come up with a potential walk off hit and not delivered. My point is this: the times they deliver we remember a lot more vividly than the times they don't.

<< <i>Right now I'd take him over everyone in the Majors for hitting when he needs to. The best DH? Martinez was great, but never shined in the postseason. >>

Never shined? I guess you weren't watching in 1995 when Edgar ripped out yankee hearts by delivering a double that drove in Griffey Jr. and capped an amazing 0-2 comeback?

• Are you even trying to compare Martinez in the playoffs to Ortiz? That's laughable and yes I remember that series, but I also remember Ortiz winning back to back games against the Yankees on the Sox way to the World Series. Ortiz has shown on the biggest stage he can get it done, repeatedly.

Of course most people are going to remember the times players come through more vividly then when they didn't.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>

<< <i>He shoulda got the MVP last year. He was robbed. >>

What makes you say that?

Arod and Ortiz had similar numbers, but Arod played defense everyday.

The only way a DH should ever win an MVP is if he is head and shoulders numbers-wise above everyone else. That wasn't the case last year. >>

It is interesting how you will bash EVERY other member of the Yankees, yet defend Arod under any circumstance. Ortiz was the man last year, he carried that team, he was far more clutch than Arod and far more valuable to his team. The award isnt best overall player. We have debated this 100 times. Ortiz was the MVP in my book, you dont want to hear it, then dont read what I say.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

<< <i>imageimage >>

I second that! Ax, I think the point is how many times he has produced a walk off win not the times he has not, Im sure the chances at a walk off win are pretty comparible with every major league player, only the "BEST" walk off with a win consistently.......like Ortiz.

<< <i>Are you even trying to compare Martinez in the playoffs to Ortiz? That's laughable and yes I remember that series, but I also remember Ortiz winning back to back games against the Yankees on the Sox way to the World Series. Ortiz has shown on the biggest stage he can get it done, repeatedly. >>

No, I wasn't comparing them. You said Martinez never delivered in the playoffs and I was simply refuting that statement.
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ax lets not get carried away here. In a game when the very best fail 7 out of 10 times, to be as "Clutch" as often as Ortiz has been, he deserves EVERY ounce of credit he gets. >>

Who's getting carried away?

I simply asked if anyone had the stat available...people forget the failures, and only focus on the successes. >>

I disagree. People typically remember failures more than successes. One example, without trying to start yet another war, would be A-Rod.
    Travis

<< <i>
    I disagree. People typically remember failures more than successes. One example, without trying to start yet another war, would be A-Rod. >>

Arod's been typically villified by the press and by fans, for whatever reason.

When one thinks of Kirk Gibson, they think of his home run in the world series, they don't think of the number of times when he didn't.

People's perceptions of a players successes or failures are largely based on their overall perception of said player.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

Back on topic: Ortiz is the MAN!

All season long last year, he delivered.

I would trade Clemens, O, and Pettitte for him image

Well perhaps not but still..
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David Ortiz is a KILLER. The Red Sox usually always have that one guy who always kills the Yankees. Well, with Ortiz, he kills ever freaking body. In a weird sense, it almost comforts me as a Yankee fan to see him win ball games all by himself against other teams then the Yanks .... just becuase it might not be so personal when he kills the Yankees image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• He's a pitcher's worst nightmare!

Sorta OT, but I think his '98 Bowman Chrome RC is undervalued (although some other brands were made of him in '97). A PSA 10 can be had for $20-$25.

<< <i>He's a pitcher's worst nightmare!

Sorta OT, but I think his '98 Bowman Chrome RC is undervalued (although some other brands were made of him in '97). A PSA 10 can be had for $20-$25. >>

His 97 Fleer and Ultra cards routinely go for $100-150 in PSA 10.
    -- Yogi Berra

• MVP!!!

MVP!!!

MVP!!!

<< <i>MVP!!!

MVP!!!

MVP!!! >>

Whether the Sox win the division or just grab the wildcard, Ortiz is the clear cut winner in my eyes as well as many others. Im sure Papi would take the division over the mvp trophy.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MVP!!!

MVP!!!

MVP!!! >>

Whether the Sox win the division or just grab the wildcard, Ortiz is the clear cut winner in my eyes as well as many others. Im sure Papi would take the division over the mvp trophy. >>

Maybe when he wins it this season, they can go back and give him last year's trophy as well. I believe his name is engraved on it.
    He was the clear cut winner last year if ya ask me. I guess the writers just looked at the numbers after game 162 and voted instead of watching games though.
    -- Yogi Berra

Ortiz has been carrying the Sox on his big fat back all season. Only a true MVP can do that ....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He was the clear cut winner last year if ya ask me. I guess the writers just looked at the numbers after game 162 and voted instead of watching games though. >>

Nah, they just looked at the last +/- 70 games last year image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    ~"I'd like to see a stat that shows how many times Ortiz has been up, with a chance for a walk off hit, and he's failed to do it.

Would be interesting to see the comparison."~

From the Red Sox site:

Papi really does do it every time
    By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff
    It's not an illusion that David Ortiz comes through in walkoff situations every time.

According to Sox historian Allan Wood, webmaster of the Joy of Sox, Ortiz has come to the plate 19 times in potential walkoff situations since the end of the 2004 regular season (postseasons included) and reached base 16 times. He is 11-for-14 (.786), with 7 HR and 20 RBI.

In 2005 and 2006, he is 8-for-9, with 5 HR and 15 RBI!

Amazing.

That truly is amazing...does anyone have his numbers for his career?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papi is the most fearsome hitter in baseball, hands down! If he doesn't win the MVP this year, it'd be a disgrace. Puljois is a feared hitter in his own right, but nobody gets the dramatic shots that Ortiz gets time and time again.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
  • [q Ortiz has come to the plate 19 times in potential walkoff situations since the end of the 2004 regular season (postseasons included) and reached base 16 times. He is 11-for-14 (.786), with 7 HR and 20 RBI.

In 2005 and 2006, he is 8-for-9, with 5 HR and 15 RBI!

Amazing. >>

That is unreal!
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Does that costume come with a golden sombrero?
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, Ortiz proved last night that he does suffer from bouts of being human.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Rough night for Big Papi. The wind was blowing in hard and he had three fly outs to the warning track in right.
    no worries....floppy and gang can beat up on Tampa Bay and K.C. for a while.

...should be lots of sports center heroic chest thumping for at least another 10 days.

tick-tok...tick-tok

...time for Josh "i'll punch the cooler and clubhouse wall.. if i don't win" Beckett to "regroup" or refocus or whatever Texans do.

• I watched the last eh, maybe from the 5th inning on. Those last 2 atbats...whoa. I was on the edge of my seat with that Papi flyout.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    yah...too bad attitude and pompus swagger can't get that ball to go out..maybe it's time to blame kryptonite.

edited to add:

or maybe it's time to blame the blackbird... come to crow.

et tu Pa-pe
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yah...too bad attitude and pompus swagger can't get that ball to go out.. >>

Yeah... then your precious Yankees would be 1st in home runs
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Pete Kerasotis, Florida Today:

Unless Ortiz suffers an injury or decides to get in touch with his inner Alex Rodriguez -- i.e., putting up numbers that are the baseball equivalent of empty calories -- he is the American League MVP.

Poor Slappy. There is no escape.

Ortiz can win the MVP by 100% votes for all I care. The important thing is he won't be getting any post season AB's image