Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Opinions on this Japanese yen, please!

This isn't one of those paranoid threads. I already bought it (raw, from a reputable seller) and, barring any surprises, its a keeper. But this is my first dragon yen in-hand so I welcome your more experienced comments! Grade opinions? Should I slab it when it comes time to sell? ...?

One thing that stands out, and I don't know the series so I don't know how it affects grading, it looks like there's a bit of rub on the prominent leaf directly at 9:00 and perhaps also on the lower half of the chrysanthemum. Would this be enough to cause a grader to penalize it as AU?? There are only a very few and very minor hits and equally few breaks in luster overall. The luster is simply amazing though!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Certainly better than AU IMO.

I would say MS64.

The reverse is very nice.

Lets see what experts will say.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that ain't MS, then it's a very nice looking AU58, I'd say.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I like it, I like it a lot.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I am no expert, but I would give it a MS-62, maybe a MS-63 if the sun is shining and the birds are singing.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unc.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a lovely BU coin, say MS63 IMO.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    63 is my guess too. A future slab will make that tiny rim nick at 12 o'clock disappear.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Nice example of the Taisho 3 (1914) yen, but what am I seeing that looks like an "S" just to the left and above the top corner of the "yen" character on the reverse?
    Roy

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, all, for the kind comments and grades. image

<< <i>...what am I seeing that looks like an "S" just to the left and above the top corner of the "yen" character on the reverse? >>

It appears to be just another break in luster, but one of the more prominent ones. I dunno, though. It oddly does look like "1/5" image