Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Best Topps set

After reading the 1957 vrs 1967 thread, it dawned on me that although they are both great sets,
for me the 1965 Topps set is my favorite. I love the colored frame within the border and that each
team has their own uniform color schemes, like the White Sox & Dodgers has a rust orange frame and
the team logo is in a blue pennant, the Giants have a purple border & frame w/ their team logo in a yellow
pennant.
Like all of us any Mantle, Koufax, Clemente, Aaron etc... look good in any year.
But when commons & minor stars look great on a card, you know its the card design.
Whats you're favorite Topps design? ...jay

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mine is '67 Topps- it's the closest to '53 Bowman color, which I think is the best designed modern set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    The '65 set is growing on me; I've had a raw set for 40 years and it is a clean colorful set chock full of stars.

However, my personal favorite is the 1960 set. It's the first set I collected, and, as a 10 year old, I loved the team logos, the two photos on the front, the various color designs and especially the write up, stats and cartoon on the reverse.

BTW - the Bobby Gene Smith card is one of only three cards in the set that use the same shot for the front pictures. Can anybody name the other two?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I dont know what it is but the 65 and 66 sets but they have always appealed to me. Very visable player name and team name. The biggest beef I have with modren sets is sometimes you can hardly read a players name due to small cursive font and being glossy on top of that. 2006 Topps Baseball is one of the best designs I think topps have had in years.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    1959 Topps nothing even close .GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#2 1951 Bowman.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    JVetteJVette Posts: 206
    I think that the 65 set is the best. Great color. Great photos. Great stars. Fun time for baseball.
  • Options
    add another vote for 1965

my favorite $20 card image

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    One word...........

nineteensixtyseven!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, this is my favorite card set.

I like the simple design. Plus sentimental reasons.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1975 Topps has grown on me. That is my oldest set, and it is the set of my birth year.

Shane

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I know it is a love it or hate it set but I love the 72 topps set.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    I would second the '75 Topps set as being my favorite.....multicolored heaven!

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    1971 Topps Greatest Moment.

1969 Topps Super [for the pictures]

1980 Pepsi - because they're cool looking.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    1960 and 1975 already mentioned, both great colorful sets that I'm currently working on. image

• Options
    I'm with mikeschmidt on his favorites. Are you my twin or are you reading my mind?

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Wabbit - I'm with you on that ... most of the 80's Topps issues were fantastic (save 1981 and 1982). If you can disregard the sheer volume that is still around and just focus on design, the 80's may be the best decade yet.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I am somewhat partial to the 80's designs as well. However, I also like 1958, 1960, 1975 and 1990.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm with mikeschmidt on his favorites. Are you my twin or are you reading my mind? >>

I'm your evil twin. You don't know about me yet - but if the police come knocking on your door....
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    yall kidding yourself...57's forever WOOHOOO!!!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    1957 is pretty cool...there is sually a lot going on ...dark photos, backgrounds

I cant stand 1962 ...i dont have a single PSA graded card from that year
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭
    There's something about the 5's for me: '55, '65, '75 are the best of their respective decades.

Can't say the same about '85 though...
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    1971 topps...black borders, understated design, a real beauty.

The 1982 set has really grown on me lately...not sure why, but it's got some real eye appeal.
  • Options
    1953 Topps for me. I am partial to the painted sets ('50 Bowman Collector), and I love the close up portraits.
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Baseball- '52
    Football- '67
    Basketball- '80
    Hockey- '63
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    The only year that matters, 1969.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I am a football card collector. I like 1985 Topps for modern or 2005 Heritage.

As for vintage I love the '69 set with the solid borders.
  • Options
    MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    I'm kind of partial to the 75 Topps Mini's....with all the variety of colors I personally don't see any other Topps cards matching these.....the best Topps has ever offered image
  • Options
    I like the 1955 set, but it is probably because my buddy is a mac daddy 1955 collector. He is also the guy who got me interested in collecting. The other thing I like about the set is that it is a manageable size, but maybe that's just me.