Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Where have the Merc Dime people gone ?

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
Pat started a thread almost 2 days ago and not a single comment has been made......image

The new set Pat was talking about looks like it could be quite cool.

I will admit that the below series has been taking up my time. Whats everyone elses excuse ?....image

Cheers.

Ken

Comments

• Maybe they went to school to learn proper grammer?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe they went to school to learn proper grammer? >>

Geez....so sorry for being a English and Spelling klutz. I damn sure can add and subtract though.

Ken
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know I've noticed that the "Mercateers" have been quiet for a loooooooooooong time.

They finally accepted the fact that Roosies are way kewler! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proper grammer?
    since when is proper grammer or spelling required to collect coins?
    Why is it so important to be proper anyway?

I like collecting and nice collectors. I have found out that most, not all collectors are great people.

God Bless
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I am still selling lots of nice Mercs..always looking to fill want lists,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not get carried away Paul. The Mercury Dime is probably one of the three prettiest US coin designs. Right up there with the Walking Liberty Half and the Standing Quarter.

IMHO Jon
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I always hunt for beautiful toned Winged Libertys.....

One of my favorite series......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The Mercateers have been quiet for a while for a couple of reasons. Mostly I suspect due to reaching a point where additions or upgrades have gotten very pricy, thus limiting the new acquisitions. Also, some of us (myself included) have moved our focus to other endeavors.

I will always be a Mercateer, but I have switched my collecting efforts towards a type set.

Pat, I will see you on September 2nd.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
    DeepCoin and I graduated 40 years ago can';t believe it see you then.
    Our high school had a coin and stamp club!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still hanging to my mercs! My want list is very limited at the moment. But laying low and waiting for the right moment while concentrating on other interesting coins, patterns and fractional gold pocket pieces.

Do not worry! This lady is sitting airtight in my vault. Usually ladies look gorgeous when the camera is out of focus. Not here!!!!!

Picture of one of my mercury (liberty) dime in a NGC holder. It is nicer than any of the ones I have seen in the PCGS holder in the same grade.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

I check in here a couple of times a week rather than every day as I used to do, and haven't posted a lot of comments lately. I'm still very much into coins, including Mercs.

<< <i>The Mercateers have been quiet for a while for a couple of reasons. Mostly I suspect due to reaching a point where additions or upgrades have gotten very pricy, thus limiting the new acquisitions. Also, some of us (myself included) have moved our focus to other endeavors. >>

That's a big part of it for me. I'm missing only the '16-D and '21-P, neither of which could be considered inexpensive in the grades I'd like to have (MS64 or better). I'll be at the ANA in a few weeks, and will probably look for some decent type coins instead of Mercs. When I've paid off the mortgage or won the lottery, I'll focus on those remaining Mercs.

<< <i>Maybe they went to school to learn proper grammer? >>

Look who's talking. The proper spelling is grammar (look it up)!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Still love Mercs image ... and kept a wonderful run from 1940-1945 all in 67FB (other than the 45-P).

Merc dime grading is still way to inconsistent...nothing has changed. Although, I'm certain this will change at some point in time. The reason why I care about this is that the lion's share of dimes I had, I had made (e.g. they were in non-PCGS slabs or raw when I bought them).

This is OK, though -- the dark time in Merc grading has allowed me to explore other numismatic areas. I'm 3 coins away from completeing a basic u.s. coin design set (a great project...something fun to do with family/kids), and now thinking about expanding to the complete u.s. coin design set.

PS...I still read all the Merc comments/threads, and wil always be MDG image

• I cain't see know gramner prob'em wid his qestion!
  • MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭

<< <i>The Mercury Dime is probably one of the three prettiest US coin designs. Right up there with the Walking Liberty Half and the Standing Quarter.

Still loving them; still courting them.

(And working on affording them.)

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where have all the Merc Dime people gone?

They are out looking for a Gem 1916-D to finish their collections image
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Not me. The 16-D has to be one of the most overpriced coins out there. I'll wait for it to comeback to earth before I look at getting one.

• << <i>Not me. The 16-D has to be one of the most overpriced coins out there. I'll wait for it to comeback to earth before I look at getting one. >>

You might be looking for a long long long time... I hope you are patient.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    The 16-D is one of those special coins that has demand not related to the Mercury series. The 16-D, 1909 SVDB Lincoln and High Relief Saint will always trade at levels far above what the supply and rarity would suggest. That fact makes it tough on the series collectors, but it is a fact of life for all of us. It is one reason I decided not to try and complete the series, although I will always love them.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    QBert:

<< <i>Not me. The 16-D has to be one of the most overpriced coins out there. I'll wait for it to comeback to earth before I look at getting one. >>

The 1916-D dime will always be overpriced and if anything, will be more and more overpriced as time goes on. It is the fame of the date and mm. Even non coin collectors have heard of it.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I got my overpriced 1916-D a few years back, because now they are even more overpriced!

Ken,

Too much to do in the summer. My son gets married on Saturday (8/5), and it has been nuts around here. I hope to get back into it soon.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• I'm back. I lost my password for awhile. How's that. I'm still looking, but it's soooo hard to find quality upgrades.
    Merc collector.
    Mercury dime collectors always have fun!!!!!!!!

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have my Merc Tshirt,and think about the red checkers image
    And never thought spelling was related to coin collecting.
    Always good to hear from you all

Al
    I still have my 69fb and a few others that I did not want to sell..

I have been collecting raw mercs for a year now,and they will be dropped off at PCGS tomorrow..

I hope for many 67fb's image
    Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope for many 67fb's image
    Larry >>

Let me know how that works out for you image

• Im still around, and I'm retired now. Right now I'm working on a US type set,5 more to go.( Not a registered set ) but I still keep an eye open for some real nice Mercs.image
  • Count me as a Merc Dime collector. I'm struggling to stay in the top ten. It won't be long before others will have pushed on by. Hope to see some of you and some beautiful Mercury dimes in Denver.
  • gone?

don't think so-

still alive and well!

thanks for checking...

Robert
  • Still alive, just been out for a while.....
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still alive, just been out for a while..... >>

Holy Smokes....Dennis its damn good to see a post from you....image

Ken
  • wow , nice to see you post Dennis, hope you can get back into the dimes
    in the future
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    oreville:

<<The 1916-D dime will always be overpriced and if anything, will be more and more overpriced as time goes on. It is the fame of the date and mm. Even non coin collectors have heard of it.
    >>

This is true. But there is a difference in overpriced and out of control.

I have been collecting mercury dimes since I was a kid (I'm 43 now). High end full band mercs are selling at a preimium. Some at ridiculous high prices. I have not seen this type of inflation since the spike when the hunt brothers stuff happend. It is definatly a sellers market. And it seems like this inflation has only ocurred in the last 5 -7 years or so. I often wonder what is driving this? Or am I just clueless?

All that said. Mercury dimes are still one of my favorite coins to collect.
  • remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    I'm still lurking too. I check in every once in a while to see how ya'll are doing.

Regards,

Wayne
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
    I brought at least 40 mercs to vegas with me,,including a white 16d in 66fbimage

Larry
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15

• << <i>I brought at least 40 mercs to vegas with me,,including a white 16d in 66fbimage >>

I will give you 1000 times face value for the 1916(D)!image
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
    I'm still here. I picked up a nice 25-D in an auction the other day. A real nice PQ 63. I have a pic but it is too big to post.

Jon
    Hi, Jon!

Congrats on snagging the nice 25-D!

Here's a related thought: Maybe you should pop an image of your new acquisition into the Merc space in your signature line currently occupied by the 1917 from Larry's collection (for which I was the foolish, tight-fisted, and subsequently mournful underbidder).

Then, even if you never sell me that lovely 1917, at least I won't have to continue to suffer the torment of seeing it everytime I otherwise enjoy one of your posts! image

image I should have bid higher!

Mercfan,

Sorry about the 17. It is a nice coin. There were several other dimes of Larry's that I did what you did on the 17, couldn't pull the trigger. The 1936-P in 67 was one. I DID get several of his and the are all VERY nice!!

I can't change my sig line. Ken (Fairlaneman) built that for me from pics I sent him.

Jon
    I also won a couple of Larry's Mercs that I was and continue to be thrilled with.

But that 1917!

Beckoning to me several times a week from your signature line!

Mocking me for my unnecessarily and disrespectfully cautious bid!

The Horror! The Horror!

Oh, and kudos to Ken for creating a lovely signature line for Jon!