Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Teletrade Says That The 1999-S Close AM Lincoln Is Part Of The PCGS Registry???

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What amazes me to this day is that PCGS does not recognize the 7 1982 Lincoln varieties.

These 7 Cents have very different metals and date sizes and Lincoln collectors have said nothing to my knowledge to get these added.

I don't collect Lincolns and it irritates me!image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RB: Tell me - since there are now (5) in the pop report - shouldn't PCGS be adding this coin to the variety Proof Lincoln collection sometime soon? Or, is that not the rule?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Mitch,

I wish there were ANY rules we could bank on!!! What about the 1960 DDO & 1963 DDR Roosie Proofs!!! All the Wide AM Lincolns. 1964-D DDO & TDO Kennedy's as well as the 1974-D. I could give you a list of near 100 coins that SHOULD be in registry sets (i.e. out of the ones that are also in the pop reports) that aren't. HRH said almost 18 months ago that the Roosie var. proof 1950-date set is coming. WHEN?!?!?! WTF does it take to add a set?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

One just sold on eBay for $1,304.79 & you KNOW the prices are headed South from here - image
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One just sold on eBay for $1,304.79 & you KNOW the prices are headed South from here - >>

Shaddup, RB.

Just for that, I'm not selling it to you. image
    David: Nice pick up! Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RB: Tell me - since there are now (5) in the pop report - shouldn't PCGS be adding this coin to the variety Proof Lincoln collection sometime soon? Or, is that not the rule?

Wondercoin >>

I think 5 only gets it in the pop database. The 1960 TDO has been in there over 5 for a couple of years, but not in the reg set.
    Doug
    Doug,

You are correct. The "5" number was supposedly the threshold for the pop report.

Of course we know that THAT "rule" no longer exists either as evidenced by the small number of coins IN the pop report with LESS than 5 showing and the INCREDIBLY LARGRE number of coins/varieties where PCGS has graded MORE than 5 (should I give a list of the Cherrypicker varieties they've put in mint error holders for me alone? image ) that are NOT in the pop report!
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Why not have a PCGS Lincoln Cent "Mint Error" Set Registry for Lincoln Business Strikes and another one for Lincoln Proofs. I would be very supportive of that. The key issue is what constitutes "Mint Error" varieties and what constitutes "Major" Varieties? This key issue involves not only the Lincoln cent, but ALL the denominations.
    It would be nice if David and the PCGS staff and even the NGC staff came up with a consistant list that could be changed over time IF the mainstream collectors in the hobby generally agreed that a certain variety was now considered a "Major" Variety. JMHO. Steve image
    I'd support that too, Steve.

It seems to me that when PCGS decides to certify/attribute a particular variety or error, THAT's the time it should go in their Registry. Would make the most $$ sense for PCGS to do it that way.
    "The key issue is what constitutes "Mint Error" varieties and what constitutes "Major" Varieties? This key issue involves not only the Lincoln cent, but ALL the denominations."

Steve,

Note #5

The only question is WHEN & WHY does it take Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Long!?!?!?!?!?!? image (ok, that's 2 questions - sorta imageimageimageimage )
    RB, you are correct.... I'm not sure what the real criteria is for inclusion in the pop report.

You would have to have a seperate set for all the "minor" (and I use that term loosely) Lincoln varieties. It would be a fun set to play around in, but I would still want the variety set with "major" varieties only. Heck it's tough enough to complete the 340 coin complete Lincoln set, without adding more too it. I would wager that there are only 3 complete PCGS 340 coin sets right now, and Dan Close is the only one registered.
    Doug
    I'm a little confused. If PCGS is currently slabbing "Mint Error" Varieties of Lincoln cents, why can't they just assign a Set Registry up for them. They must have numbers assigned in their system for these coins. Do it just like they have set up VAM's for the Morgans & Peace Dollars.

It would be good public relations if David or Ron or someone in charge would just write a blurb on the home page explaining their plans regarding numbering and Set Registry so we all don't have to guess. I do recall reading something a few months ago that the whole Set Registry was going to be revised and updated "shortly". Where does that stand? We all get so frustrated because PCGS does not communicate IN ADVANCE. How did we learn that they would stop putting Series and Coin numbers on the labels. NOT FROM THEM.
    Steveimage
  • What about the 1964 SMS cent (nickels, dimes, etc...)? Shouldn't they be included also?
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know, I was going to respond, but the heck with it. The variety series makes no sense to me when you look at what is added and what is not. Requesting more will be a challenge. And, it would be in PCGS financial interest to do so, but my gut tells me they were slow to even get in the error/ variety business and adding more...well, I guess I would like to see it, but only if we look at the whole thing and make some "adjustments".

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
    L@@KIE here. Opening bid just 30% or so above the one that just sold on eBay. image
    RB: Not sure what is so funny? The TT coin has sold tonight for no less than $2,240. That is the mininum amount I suggested the owner of the TT coin let his coin go for in light of the newly graded specimens and he achieved 100% of his target sales level. The coin David Poole won on ebay was, IMHO, nothing more than a very nice buy! I believe David had a much stronger max bid on the coin - he simply got lucky that night on ebay. No one said there were not great buys on ebay from time to time.

I'm off to take the wife and kids to the CSN&Y show in town. I missed seeing them perform in 1976 and I wasn't going to miss them in 2006! I'll see how the Close AM ends when I get back.

Wondercoin
    No idea YOU had anything to DO with setting the price on THIS one. imageimage

BUT

I'm sure if YOU told him to sell for $2,000 & it actually sold, that will proove to be EXTREMELY valuable/insightful advice. image

Esecially if looked at in retrospect 6-12 months from now. image

I'm sure no DEALER is a buyer at that level right now or EVER will be EVER again.

p.s. Enjoy CSN&Y - they rock!!! image

p.p.s. I've got 2 of them in UNATTRIBUTED PR70DCAM holders. They'll never hit the auction circuit or the pop report as long as I own them.
    p.s. Enjoy CSN&Y - they rock!!! YES, THEY DO. GREAT SHOW!!

p.p.s. I've got 2 of them in UNATTRIBUTED PR70DCAM holders. They'll never hit the auction circuit or the pop report as long as I own them.

COOL - WHAT GRADING SERVICE - NGC?

Wondercoin
    DCAM - not UCAM
    1998 & 1999 Close AM Proofs

RBr: Neat on the PR70DC 1999 Close AM coins - how many 1998 Proof Close AM cents have you been able to pick up so far? My sources tell me there are roughly (5) 1998 Proof Close AM cents known thus far? Agree?

Wondercoin
    I only know where 2 '98's were/went to - not counting the 1 or 2 on eBay advertised as the real deal but still in a proof set. A RARE bird. Perhaps nearly on par with the 92-D close AM.

<< <i>Neat on the PR70DC 1999 Close AM coins >>

Gawd, RB! No WONDER you were snickering!

That is really neat!
    Guess that GENIOUS that paid $2,240 from Teletrade last month is KICKIN' HIMSELF INTHE ARSE right about now & whoever the seller was is laughin' all the way to the bank! imageimageimage
    Look. Either sell me one of your PR70DCAMs or STFU. image
  • Where's the "Going Down" icon? image

$692 & Falling image
  • the % of 69 graded coins will stay low due to the reverse of these coins not being very nice. the pop reports are
    already inflated with both companies due to cracking out and re-grading. I have done this on several coins myself.
    I'd almost rather have a PC67 coin versus an NG68 coin from the looks of sold items.

a lot of these coins are ugly and toned and they look that way right out of sealed, never opened material.
    the worst looking coins I have found came out of a sealed case of 100 sets!@!

thanks.

That guy got a deal. I figured the reserve would be much higher, considering the BIN and the prior attempts to auction this there. The buyer got a great deal, IMO.
  • Possibly. I first set my snipe for $750 w/shipping but then thought that was a bit too high so I lowered it to $650.

We'll know if he got a good deal when the next skydiver sells - no where to go but down image

If I was into one for $1,350 or so I mighta shouldla considered "averaging down" with that one. image
  • $700 will end up being a bargain on that coin I'm sure. there was no reserve on the auction.

a couple more recently showing up on the pop report, along with the fact that it is the slowest
    time of the year for retail.........this coin should be $1000 minimum.

69's are less than 20% of the pop total, I believe.
  • like I said, $700 is a BARGAIN. someone just popped $2 large for one of these beauties.

item number 150034582231
    Too bad - DPoole could have averaged UP with that purchase. image

Wondercoin
  • yeh lol. I don't know how to add the link, if someone could help us out that would be great.

thanks.
  • could someone be so kind as to give me the current POP numbers
    on this coin, 7's, 8's, 9's, and total graded? any help would be much
    appreciated.

thanks.
    11, 35, 12, 0 , total 67
    Doug
  • thank you.
    First the 1971 DD, then the 1960DD's FS24 & FS25. Now this 1999 close AM which looks just like the 1993 in my set. I guess we collectors of COMPLETE Lincoln proof sets will just have to pay up if David, Ron, Stewart, etc. decide to add THIS coin to the required COMPLETE Lincoln proof set registry. Of course they could also add the other 1971DD (FS33 & FS32) and how about the other 1960DD (FS23).

My idea is that we have a variety set registry for each denomination. Include ALL the recognized varieties and let those collectors who specialize in them, compete with each other. For those of us who collect complete date and mintmark sets and include MAJOR recognized errors and doubled diie varieties like the 1922 plain, the 1955 doubled die and the 1990 no S proof, let those stay as is.

I do agree with everyone that PCGS needs to define all this and they should do it quickly. JMHO. Steveimage
    A PCGS PR69DC 1999 Close AM just sold on eBay for $809

HERE
    Doug
  • the same person bought that one that bought the $692 coin.

So perhaps the market has plateaued (on the down side) near $700-800 for 69DCAMs. Still a FAR cry from the $2,200 one that someone got SERIOUSLY burned on.
    What does a PR70DC go for? I need one.
    Doug
  • I've been told one exists in 70, just not labeled as such. it was graded before
    the variety was known to man kind. martians have known for a few years, they tell me. image

not sure if I believe this person or not.
  • Doug, how many "regular" proof 70 coins are there on the POP report?

thanks.
    PCGS currently shows 29 1999-S PR70DCAM's
  • check out this auction on ebay:

• thanks for the link
  • I'd say these coins have gotten weak.

does not supries me, as you I'm sure.
    EXTREMELY WEAK - as expected (no?).

The hypsters would've had you believed that the prices would have actually gone UP over time. image

Remember that ridiculous shot on Teletrade that someone took with a reserve over 3k for a 69? image

My guess is a 69DCAM would barely break $500 in a true no reserve auction today. image

Of course the '98-S is another story. imageimageimage (69DCAM's=$2,500+)
    "Of course the '98-S is another story"

You just never know 100% for sure which coins will hold up and which will not - perfect example is the Cheerios Sac that has moved up 200%-300% over past year. Or, the NO S coins (like the 68 dime or 90 cent). Did PCGS ever add the 99 Close AM cent to any registy sets?

Wondercoin