Home U.S. Coin Forum

Greatest Specialized Collections Ever Auctioned

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
Name the series and name the best auctions of all time. Name the auction company and year so we can track down copies for our own libraries.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliasberg US Gold Collection, 1982 (B&M)

Bass: US Gold Collection/Hoard (B&M, four volumes)

Duke's Creek: Dahlonega gold dollars through quarter eagles, Atlanta Spring ANA 2006 (Heritage)

Ron Brown (Acadia) Collection of New Orleans Gold (dollars through eagles), Chicago ANA 1999 (Heritage)

Green Pond: Dahlonega half eagles, FUN 2004 (Heritage)

Richard C Jewell Collection of $3's, 2005 (ANR)
  • slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Easy, Bass! B+M '99-'01?
  • RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    The John W Adams Collection 1794 Large Cents Limited Edition Catalog of 256 copies - Bowers & Ruddy Galleries 1982 Fixed Price List...

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the 20c patterns in Bowers (Salisbury sale in 1994 if memory serves). IIRC there were many more examples than in the Bass pattern sale. Is that specialized enough - surely there are less than five collectors of these today, one of whom I believe is attempting a full pattern set.
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    1930 Glendining auction of the Conder tokens of S. Hamer
    1998 Noble Numismatics auction of the W. J. Noble collection of Conder tokens
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ Logan - Don't know the company or date

Jules Reiver - Heritage, 2006

Both important for bust half dimes
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Prescott collection of toned comems ANR

Not greatest, just a real neat collection
    2005 ANR - The Cardinal Collection of Early Silver Dollars

Though it is unlikely that I will ever own a coin in this series I love looking at the coins in this collection!
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sotheby's/Stack's July 30, 2002. The 1933 Double Eagle Sale. Is that specialized enough?image

U.S. Patterns: Bowers and Merena/Lexington/January,1994. The last public appearance of a nearly unique pattern, with a full provenance.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large cents -Wes Rasmussen-Heritage-1-13-2005
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This was the best collection, coin for coin and quality vs. the assigned grade, that I have seen:

Oliver Jung collection sold by ANR in July, 2004

Edited to add: This was a type set - I hope it was specialized enough to qualify for purposes of this thread. >>

I checked it out because of your comments. It had some truly amazing coins in it.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Russ Logan Collection, Busts of all sorts, but most notably, the almost complete die marriage set of Capped Bust Half Dimes, 1999, Bowers & Merena

Jules Reiver Collection, Busts of all sorts, 2006, Heritage Auctions

Russ Logan Duplicate Sale, duplicates and coins that did not sell in the B&M auction, 2006, Brad Karoleff/COINS+

These guys were probally two of the biggest collectors of Silver Bust Coinage... Jules was known for having the most complete die marriage set of all the silver Bust issues...
    -George
    42/92
  • morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Norweb by Bowers/Merena

Pittaman

The Harvard Professor-- Corneious Vermeulle (sp.)

Some Bust Halfs--forget his name

The Wayne Miller Collection--would be more respected if all the mint bagged common junk was melted and not at shows

The two Carter Dollar Collections

----I'm ignoring th Registry-type guys who never reallly collect for more than a few years, although the sales wre big.

The Pogues if they ever sell---

morgannut2
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay Roe collection of fractional gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Superior's auction of the Jack Robinson collection of half cents and large cents in January of 89 should be added because of the great catalogue which had not only good photos but great diagnostics descriptions of almost every Sheldon # for large cents.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this counts but I thought it was a cool catalog.image
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fairfield Collection [Bowers 1977] Seated and Trade dollars galore.

The L K Rudolf Collection [Stacks 2003] Gobrecht, Seated and Trade dollars galore.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Superior Galleries Chicago Sale in 1991 contained the Larry Shepherd toned commemorative collection.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Robinson Brown collection of Large Cents - Superior 1996
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliasberg I - May '96 (B+M)
    Eliasberg II - April '97 (B+M)

Numerous Finest Knowns and Unique coins in both auctions (cents through Dollars)!!!!
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Specialized collections, people! image

• morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Floyd Starr Collection--that's the one I couldn't remember

In the Future: If Tradedollarnut keeps his Business strike collections, has someone help write up the
    key reference book using trueview images or whatever---it will be the greatest dollar collection/ reference to be oneday
    be auctioned.

Of coarse In my opinion his oft-verbose business partner Ms Sperber, will own/sell the most significant
    Wartime Cent collection----something Stewey will never achieve even if he sells (who cares about 1909s VDB's in 67?).

The Just Having Fun nickels are the best--perhaps that would make the alltime list, when these coins are more appreciated.
    morgannut2

<< <i>The Fairfield Collection [Bowers 1977] Seated and Trade dollars galore.

The L K Rudolf Collection [Stacks 2003] Gobrecht, Seated and Trade dollars galore. >>

You could have also mentioned Long (Bowers 5/95) which QDB called, at the time, the "finest cabinet ever auctioned". His careful choice of the word "auctioned" of course refers to the fact that he had already seen the Eliasberg material by then. The collection had a complete set of SD proofs from 1840 on.
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    John J. Ford Collection. Colonials?

Actually, I really wish I had some copies of the auction catalogues for the Ford sales, but I doubt I'll be able to acquire them image.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    1. Rudy Sieck collection of patterns, probably B&M, circa 1983.

2.Continental Bank of Illinois toned dollar "collection," Superior's Hoffecker sale, 1987.

3. Koskarian toned Franklin half collection, circa 2004, ANR I think.

4. Greg Bingham's Morgan dollar set, Heritage, circa 2000.

A special award should go to Mike Casper, for his Morgan dollar set. It had the highest percentage of pieces not meeting his outrageous reserves.
  • Roper, Stack's 12/83. American Colonials
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Norwebs Collection B+M (late 1980's)

Amon Carter Stacks 1984

Floyd Starr Stacks 1984 >>

Are these "specialized" collections?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Russell J. Logan Collection referred to a couple times, the correct information is Bowers and Merena Galleries, November 6-9, 2002 in Baltimore. The Logan Collection can be viewed online with prices realized at this link: LINK

Here's a shot of the catalog front cover (if you are a collector and don't have a Logan 2002 catalog, you owe it to yourself to get one!):

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This was the best collection, coin for coin and quality vs. the assigned grade, that I have seen:

Edited to add: This was a type set - I hope it was specialized enough to qualify for purposes of this thread. >>

I'm speachless!! Truly a stunning collection. I'm also amazed that the highest hammer price was for a Large Cent...not just ANY Large Cent though...and definietly NOT a widget...image
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Cardinal Collection of Early U.S. Silver Dollars, ANR, 6/30/2005, NY City, NY.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John Whitney Walter collection of 1796 coins (Stack's 5/1999)
  • TarmacTarmac Posts: 394
    This was the best collection, coin for coin and quality vs. the assigned grade, that I have seen:

Can it be called a 'collection' or should it be called the best money could buy for that couple of years? Otherwise I agree about the quality.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Prescott collection of toned comems ANR
    Not greatest, just a real neat collection >>

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US dimes 1794-1940.......James A. Stack - January 1990 (Stacks)
    US quarters 1794-1940......James A. Stack - March 1975 (Stacks)
    US half dollars 1794-1947.....James Bennet Pryor - Jan. '96 (B&M)

For completeness by date/mint and overall quality

Many of the finest seated and barber coins come from this these
    collections. Eliasberg is right in there as well concerning Bust, Seated and Barber.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can it be called a 'collection' or should it be called the best money could buy for that couple of years?

If I didn't know Oliver I'd tend to think the same thing. However, the fact is that he put more effort in that collection than most collectors do in decades.
    Andy Lustig

The 2004 Goldberg auction of the Turner collection of English gold
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Jerry Buss, Superior Auctions, 1986
  • A Sheridan Downey auction which included many of Al Overtons collection most of which are the original plate coins from his first or second editions of the Overton Bust Half Dollar reference book. Includes the most detailed descriptions and condition of the Overton's coins, some include the original flip noting when, where and how much was paid when he purchased the coins. For example one lot (#255) 1825 O- 101 Plate coin for second edition (page 340) graded MS 66 in auction catalog was purchased from an unknown source April 18, 1969 for $60 (comes with original flip).

The only bad part about this auction is the entire group of Overton coins was sold intact to a single buyer two days after the catalog was issued which was a bummer when Sheridan told me that when I called as I wanted him to send me a coin for examination. The only coin I really really wanted from the sale, it was the 1818 O-111a double struck piece (page 619 3rd edition).

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Buss, Superior Auctions, 1986

What was the specialized collection in that sale?
    Andy Lustig

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ed Price collection of draped bust dimes and early quarter eagles. Heritage Baltimore July, 2008.

This was the only complete die variety collection of early dimes and quarter eagles ever assembled, with many finest knowns. My personal favorite, with excellent cataloging by Mark Borckhardt.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about the recent Dan Holms auction? It contained some of the finest known Sheldon variety large cents.

Some of the sales I've seen listed here could hardly be called "specialized collections."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Here's one that will cover many specialized collections today!

Stack's 1976 ANA Sale "The Garrett Early Proof Sets"

Another would be the B & M 1981 ANA Sale of patterns, Rudy Sieck Collection
  • The Longacre Collection 2109 image
  • Would a set pedigreed alongside the Pittman and Norweb collections be worth a look?

<< <i>The Ed Price collection of draped bust dimes and early quarter eagles. Heritage Baltimore July, 2008.

This was the only complete die variety collection of early dimes and quarter eagles ever assembled, with many finest knowns. My personal favorite, with excellent cataloging by Mark Borckhardt. >>

A superb and fascinating piece of work. This is one you want a hardcopy to browse, not just read online......
  • The Louis Eliasberg, Sr. Collection of World Gold coins and Medals, ANR, April 18-19, 2005.
    The Central American gold is incredible.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trompeter Gold
    Frederick Taylor Colonials
    not "specialized" but John Story Jenks was "A" rated in 14 series nearly 100 years ago.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hain Family Collection of Massachusetts Silver Coins, Stack's, January 15, 2002
  • The Norweb Collection (Stack's-11/06) had some nice Tokens and medals.
    Andy
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Norweb Collection (Stack's-11/06) had some nice Tokens and medals. >>

Yes, the collection of Washingtonia started by Emery May Norweb's grandfather, Liberty Holden. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file