Home U.S. Coin Forum

Baltimore - You never know what you will find when you are not looking for something.

TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
For the past 2 and a half years, I've been looking for the right mid-grade 1892 Barber half for my type set. I always end up finding either an MS-64 or a VG-10. I figure that since this has been a long search, I'll save it for the last coin to go into the ol' 7070 book. I was looking for a few coins in Baltimore yesterday, namely an 1839 reeded edge half and an 1837 half dime. Whille looking for the 1839 half, I come across an 1892 Barber half in an PCGS XF-45. It's just a shade or two darker than the rest of the halves in that line of the book but it works for me. The eye appeal is better than the photos.

Lesson learned: Stop looking for coins and they will come to you.

I also picked up an 1904-O Morgan in MS-64 from Wayne Herndon for my Morgan set.

As usual, it was a great social time in Baltimore. On Friday, Barry, BooBooBillQueen (from the currency forum), and I went to the Wharf Rat for lunch. I ran into the usual bunch of people around the floor: Cameron, Idahogal, Wayne Herndon, Scaredale Coins, Bob Bruce (AACOinco), Dennis & Tassa from Jade just to name a few, along with the usual cast of idiots (Xbob, Newsman, Ksteelheader, Halfnut, PhillyJoe, RickMilauskas). Unfortunatley Dollars could make it. He'll pay for snubbing us! Friday night, Wayne Herndon and his whole crew, Rick, Byran, Traci, myself, and a few others (sorry I can't remember every one's name) went to Obrycki's for dinner. They have great seafood there! In between the spitball fights and crab parts flying all over the place, it was a very enjoyable night.

In another thread, Xbob mentioned his problems with NGC submitting a multi-coin holder. I think they are cheating him out of at least $10. He had 2 raw coins and an NGC slabbed coin that he wanted in a multi-coin holder. Instead of charginmg him for grading the 2 modern raws and charing him the usual $5 for reholdering the NGC slab, they are making him submit the 2 raw coins, then resubmit the three slabs for reholdering. I think thats wrong.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    LOVELY Barber half. Congrats! Patience is a virtue.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, Tootawl.

<< <i>Stop looking for coins and they will come to you. >>

-- Ain't that the truth! And it usually happens when I'm broke! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I was seriously getting bummed out trying to find the right 1892 Barber half and not finding "the coin". I think I need to stop looking for coins and just see what shows up.

Do you think this method will work for finding a woman?? image

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • congrats! I know the feeling!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    usual cast of idiots

image I know you are but what am I image

That Barber half looked really nice to me. Great accurate pics too.

As far as that multiholder problem. It will work out. At least I was able to submit the two under the modern grade level ($12) compared to the next tier ($30 ea.) that the set would have had to be. I don't know why. It was my first direct submission to them and I think I had as much of a clue as anyone behind the table. Plus they overlooked the 5 coin minimum as well. I'm not in a hurry to do any of it so maybe I'll add something else to the set by the time I get it all together.

-Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
    I'm curious to see if they follow my simple directions for my Ben Franklin multi coin holder. I'm putting a MS and proof Scientist on the left side, an 1956 Franklin half MS & proof in the middle, and the Founding Father MS and proof on the right side. I decided on the 1956 Franklin half because they are 50 years older than the commems.
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭
    Cliff had a good show for both coins and currency!image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

<< <i>Cliff had a good show for both coins and currency!image

Joe >>

It was capped off by a great lunch with the fine members of the CU Coin Forum...

.... and PhillyJoe.

• RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Cliff...your Barber half was a nice find.

I gotta admit...looks even better in person (The half not Tootawl!!)
  • mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    that is so true. i looked everywhere for a 77 gold dollar but other coins found their way into my collection. i love it when that happens.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also got a good look at tootawl's 1892 half and it is definitely very PQ for the grade. Looked more AU than XF to me but fortunately for all of us tootawl just wanted a nice looking coin.

Indeed, it is nicer looking than the pics show.

The thrill of finding the unexpected is what keeps us all of us going as coin collectors!

Nice seeing you tootawl!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I'm putting a MS and proof Scientist on the left side, an 1956 Franklin half MS & proof in the middle, and the Founding Father MS and proof on the right side. I decided on the 1956 Franklin half because they are 50 years older than the commems.

I like your idea for a Franklin Multi-Coin Holder set. That should look real nice once done. Hope you remember to post a picture when you get it back.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• I agree, Its better to 'not look for summing. And then it lands on your doorstep just as you didn't expect it!

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great addition tootawl

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I just happen to be looking for a full strike 1921 Peace Dollar - that's all. I have a feeling many Coins will come my way before the 21 Peace. Seeing as how I'm not a wealthy collector.
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Looks like you had a very fruitful show. Nice Barber Cliff!image

<< <i>I just happen to be looking for a full strike 1921 Peace Dollar - that's all. I have a feeling many Coins will come my way before the 21 Peace. Seeing as how I'm not a wealthy collector. >>

There was one table in Baltimore where just about the only thing the dealer had has 1921 Peace dollars in every grade your could name.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a stupendous coin and a terrific snag! Look me up if you ever want to sell it.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

<< <i>That is a stupendous coin and a terrific snag! Look me up if you ever want to sell it.image >>

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the coin.
    Sorry, TomB. I'll be keeping this one for a while!
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    For me that was more true about finding a woman who would take me as her husband, but yeah -- sometimes when you're not looking for something, you stumble onto it...
  • Wonderful coin, I need one just like it for my 7070 as well. Yes, Baltimore was a good show this year. Love the calamari at Legals...

What do you think, Mr. Bigglesworth?
    Legal Seafood isn't too bad. A bunch if us went to Obrycki's Friday night. Their seafood platter was great. Yoiu need to try their crabcakes sometime.
  • DollarsDollars Posts: 617
    I was going to say nice coins, but since you said I snubbed ya this time around.................

Ofcourse Cliff you did a wonderful job in finding coins that make your 7070 flow very well.

Sorry again I could not make it this time. Too much happening all at once.

See you fine folks next time around.

The first pints will be on me.
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Given the title of the thread, I thought you met a fine lady at the show!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>Given the title of the thread, I thought you met a fine lady at the show! >>

I wish I did!!!
  • Great story, Tawl. It was great meeting you! Look, my first post on this side! You wont tell the paper people, will you?

edited to add: Great meeting Barry too!
    Laura A. Kessler
    Vice President
    PCGS Currency
    lkessler@pcgscurrency.com
    www.PCGSCurrency.com
  • dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great story, Tawl... You wont tell the paper people, will you?

edited to add: Great meeting Barry too! >>

My lips are sealed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file