Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How many Roosie guys collect the proofs?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been collecting the proofs for a long time and had a complete set going all the way back to 1963, and have a few before that date.

Whom here collecting the Business Strikes also collect the Proofs?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    I have some of the early silver proofs raw, I think from about 1952 up to 1959 or so.
    Then I got side tracked into Commeratives and 1930 - 1958 Lincolns.
    I miss the Commeratives most of all, but the Lincolns were really nice ones also.
    Dan
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you own a single Roosie that is blast white?

Color is great, but white is good too.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Paul,
    I own 19 roosies that are brilliant...but I'm selling them soonest!!
    billimage
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • I have a lot of them but they are all raw except for 3 or 4
    tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Nope.......if I get started I'll get hooked and that's not where I want to go......I'd rather just look at rainbowroosies set! image
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Not me either. I made a decision before I started collecting the 1946-1964 roosies not to collect proofs or clads. That way I can concentrate on the silver series. I get stressed out enough on some of the auctions as it is.

Although, I have been eying a few barbers lately ..... image
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I buy Roosies anyway I can find em!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • I started off with the proofs, then I'll move to the business strikes. All I need now are 1965-1971 in DCAM (PR69 hopefully). I've got 1964, 1968 and 1972+

By the way, anyone needing a 1981-S Type 2 PR69 DCAM - I'm selling an extra one on Ebay right now... These have been darn hard to find.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also started with the proofs - but the dcams were first on my agenda. I finished my PCGS set from 1950-present several years ago and continue to look for upgrades. But those high grade dcams continue to be elusive from the '50's.

So I am now putting together a set of colorful proof Roosies from 1950-64. I have most dates already and snag them every opportunity I get. It doesn't matter whether they are slabbed or raw, but I still have more to learn about AT pieces. In any event, the cost is not very high so I won't get badly burned. I just love to find old proof sets in holders with toned pieces - the dimes seem to tone the best.

I also snag any nice mint state dime if the price is right - I already have quite a few dates, but no plan to try to complete a set.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I collect both,
    #20 Roosevelt Dimes, Circulation Strikes (1946-1964)
    #12 Roosevelt Dimes FB, Circulation Strikes (1965-Present)
    #26 Roosevelt Dimes, Proof (1950-1964)
    #28 Roosevelt Dimes Basic Set, Proof (1965-Present)