Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

can someone explain Boyd's Battery?

Its listed in a heritage signature auction for Long Beach this Sept. Im not really interested in buying as much as wanting to know why it's included in the auction. Was it used as currency? OR?

just wondering. the photo looks like a bunch of button batteries sunk into a hollow disc. image

thanks in advance

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It was a quack medical device.

The 1 1/8" diameter medallian is marked "Boyd's Battery", and on the reverse, "Jan 17, 1878, IMP 1879, LON ENG". The battery is composed of 12 peripheral disks of copper, brass, and white metal, surrounding a central copper rosette. Boyd's 1878 patent date makes it one of the earliest such quack medical devices, predating Richardson's battery by two years. The battery was worn around the neck, preferably over the heart.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow that was fast, or is it just a slow nightimage

pm me your addy, ill send you those corination stamps from pee pee island I told you about

Im glad that thing didnt power something internal image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The idea behind the battery was that when your persperation comes into contact with the dis-similar metals it acts as an electrolyte and allows small electical currents to flow between the metal "buttons" and through the wearers skin. The theory being that the currents would "energize" the body resulting in better health. For some reason, possibly due to their size, they are often collected along with So-called dollars.
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    The use of electric power in the late 1800's was a new fangled thing and mysterious then as Atomic energy was to us when it arrived on the scene. Early hucksters promoted the use of electrical power as a health cure all.
    There were a great many electrical devices produced to promote body health at this time. Boyd's Battery is listed in Raulau's book on tokens possibly because of its early production patent and token look? Its more a medical curiosity item to me as its original intent when produced was not a currency replacement or to be used as a token.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these slabbed similar to SCD's?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I believe I have seen one in an NGC slab. I know it was in one of the non-fly-by-night services slabs and I think it was NGC.
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need one of those, I'll bet it would re-energise me something fierce! image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Obviously current-cy image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, NGC will slab these. They're listed in Rulau. Prices should run in the $30-$60 range.

The Boyd's tokens were one of several similar tokens produced by competing quack medicine "battery" producers. There are similar tokens produced for Richardson's Battery and Sagendorph's Battery. A board member recently got a humongous rip of one of those (I'm not sure he even realizes it), but I'll let him identify himself if he wants.

jonathan
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wow, I finally found something to post that has brought out some of the brightest minds here. image

thanks for the info guys, I just moved boyd from the weird category to the "interesting" one image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

There can't be many other "numismatic" items that were never intended to be coins or tokens. Maybe those little mirrors?

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Learn something new every day here. Even if it was from 2006!

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numismatic crop circles.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Don't let that thing get close to the fillings in your teeth.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss Pontiac...

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just looks funny to me :D

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

12 year old thread. Love it.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great info I never new before :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this thread when original...I was working then, so likely on a business trip - or vacation - or just distracted :D:D . Now I have to look for one of these... One of my daughters manages a Doctor's practice and she collects old medical items. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Boyds Battery" was the name given to Wilbert and Joshia Boyd, twin brothers who played for the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics. Wilbert was a pitcher and Joshia was a catcher -- although since they were identical twins, no one was really sure. Wilbert is best known for striking out 4 batters in one inning, Joshia is remembered for dropping a third-strike then failing to throw to first before the runner reached the base. (A pitcher-catcher pair was known) as a "battery." ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file