Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New High Res Images: 1837 Capped Bust Half (Reeded Edge) NGC AU-55 Blue, Pink & Gold 2-Sided Ton

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am pleased to have purchased the following 1837 Reeded Edge NGC AU-55 2-Sided Toned Capped Bust Half tonight. The following are the original seller's photos for your reference.

I think that she will be a nice looking originally toned coin when I see her in person. The seller described her as having Gold, Blue and Purple colored toning on both sides... image

1837 Reeded Edge NGC AU-55 2-Sided Toned Capped Bust Half
imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    From the seller's pics she looks like she is going to be absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see your pics of this beauty.image
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    From the pics it looks like you have a nice original bustie.

I'm sure the colors will be more vivid once you have it in hand.

Nice pick-up!image
  • Options
    Two thumbs up, nice one!
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    I can't wait to see pics of that one.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Stuart- a lot of times you pick coins that I just don't see much eye appeal in- but that one looks like it will be sweet!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Wow!!
    That is sooo sweet.
    I wonder what It'll be like in hand

Thanks!
    TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Nice.
  • Options
    wow! looking forward to more pics!
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Stuart,

Weren’t you going to start a registry set with your Bust Halves?

What name did you put it under?
    Terry
  • Options
    Thanks for your positive comments guys! I agree with you that the original seller's images appear to be a bit washed out, and I expect the colors on the coin to be more vibrant than as depicted in the photos posted earlier in this thread.

As some of you requested, I will take some new photos of this 1837 RE CBH after I receive her.

Terry: I was not planning to start a Registry Set with my Bust Halves. Since I've got a mixture of both PCGS & NGC examples, I would only be able to post a complete set of them on NGC's Registry Set web site, since the PCGS Registry Sets do not also accept NGC certified coins. That may be a potential project for another weekend.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a number of reeded edge half dollars that have this general look. I have an MS-62 in my collecton, and I've sold a couple of AUs and an MS-63 that had this dark blue toning. Such coins don't do much for those who love white coins, but for collectors, like me, who enjoy original coins, they are a treat. And they are quite easy to sell when the time comes.

Congrats! image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Stuart, you have made more than one reference to having bought coins sight-unseen. I presume that you have a return privilege, but, if you haven't already, why not try to arrange to have them shipped on approval basis? You should have enough references to provide and many dealers are willing to work that way.
  • Options
    GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    Stuart,
    Yes you are correct, you will have to put your coins on NGC as most of the rest of us have done, since they are the ones that will except both slabs. Many of the forum members here have done that, and it is nearly impossible to build a set nearing completion in just one slab. On the other hand you will be in good company, Dale F., Nysoto, MikeKing, Coinlieutenant and myself just to mention the ones I know here all have sets there.

At any rate the best of luck to you!
  • Options
    Bill and Mark: Thanks very much for your posts on this thread. I greatly value both of your opinions and sincerely appreciate your comments and the fact that you both generously share your individual wealth of information about various coin series.

Mark: You are correct that I have been purchasing a number of AU Bust Halves recently sigth unseen based solely upon photo images, which usually only tell part of the story. I almost exclusively only purchase coins this way if the seller provides a return privilege, which I have used several time recently on coins that I received which did not excite me. I feel that this is one of the big advantages of workign with a few trusted dealers.

I appreciate your excellent suggestion about working with dealers on an approval basis, and I'll consider that as an option in the future.

Terry: I may take your suggestion and consider assembling an NGC Bust Half Regsitry Set. Thanks for your motivation and suggestion! image

Stuart

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS MS64 1837 RE half

Here's an 1837RE half that I saw at summer Baltimore last year.
    I was very impressed with the obverse and overall eye appeal of the coin but the reverse had some weaknesses. Appears that the coin might have been placed with the reverse down in a tray for many years. The color was very nice. I need a nice one of these as well for my type set.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Roadrunner: Although this is my first Reeded Edge Capped Bust Half, I do know that they typically are weakly struck, which I assume the mint made adjustments to, as they advanced their minting technology through the late 1830's into the Seated Liberty Series in the 1840's.

I am looking forward to receiving this coin to get a better look at the strike sharpness, luster and the color of the toning. Sometimes it can be fun to take some risk, at a reasonable price, on a coin like this which one may feel will look better in person than in the photos.

Stuart

• Options
    As promised, here's an update to this thread. I received this 1837 Capped Bust Half (Reeded Edge) NGC AU-55 -- Blue, Pink & Gold 2-Sided Toned yesterday, and am delighted with it. It's my first Reeded Edge Bust Half -- ever.

Please see the following image comparison and you'll see why. She's an originally toned beauty !!image

1837 Capped Bust Half (Reeded Edge) NGC AU-55 -- Blue, Pink & Gold 2-Sided Toned -- My New Photos
    imageimage

1837 Reeded Edge NGC AU-55 2-Sided Toned Capped Bust Half -- Original Auction Photos for Comparison
    imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Wow what a gorgeous coin! image I love all the colors! It looks alot better than the auction photo.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Wow Stuart!!!

She sure is a beauty. Talk about a world of difference between their pics and yours.

Superb pick up.image
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    You know, I think it's rather sad that posts like these displaying coins that forum members actually care about and are proud of never get as much attention as posts about when someone was stiffed on eBay or the price of gold or some Joe who bought a Buffalo for alot of money. I like reading about how someone found a coin they needed or bought a beautiful coin they wanted. That's what collecting is about for me, a hunt to find the coins you like best and sharing them with others to enrich the hobby. Thanks again for showing a beautiful Bust Half, something I would be proud to own too, someday. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know, I think it's rather sad that posts like these displaying coins that forum members actually care about and are proud of never get as much attention as posts about when someone was stiffed on eBay or the price of gold or some Joe who bought a Buffalo for alot of money. I like reading about how someone found a coin they needed or bought a beautiful coin they wanted. That's what collecting is about for me, a hunt to find the coins you like best and sharing them with others to enrich the hobby. Thanks again for showing a beautiful Bust Half, something I would be proud to own too, someday. image

-Amanda >>

Welcome to the CU forums....where numismatics ALWAYS takes second seat to ......CHEERS.....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    John, your hilarious...you must be from NY!image

Stuart, a lovely coin!!!image
  • Options
    Thanks for your compliments on my new arrival! I thin that she's gorgeous!! image

Stuart

• Options
    Wow! What a difference. I would have passed that one by based on the sellers pics. Nice pickup!
  • Options
    << I would have passed that one by based on the sellers pics. ..

GoldIsGood: The original seller's digital photos are exactly why I think I had the opportunity to purchase this pretty lady.

Stuart

• Options
    New high resolution images posted... image

1837 NGC AU-55 Capped Bust Half (Reeded Edge) Blue, Pink & Gold 2-Sided Toned

imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Nice coin Stuart. Great photos also. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Super" coin Stuart. Love the reverse. Looks like long term storage in an album for that baby.image
  • Options
    Wayne and Lee: Thanks for your kind words about my recently acquired 1837 Capped Bust Half.

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file