Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advanced Coin Grading Classes or Seminars

I am a professional collector of $20 liberty Type 1, I own over 35 of the rarest coins type 1, I participate in several auctions every year, and most of them offer non graded coins. I would like to improve my knowledge in coin grading.

I am looking for professional coin grading classes, the one that is offered at the ANA convention in Denver on August 14 to 16, is a fundamental course and not a professional.

Anybody is aware of any advanced courses that I can take, where you will have a workshop and hands on experience on Gold Coins.
Thank you,
Sam

Comments

• Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    If you're a member of the ANA you can take their Advanced Grading seminar over the seminar. The ones this year have been full for probably the past 6 months and will start next week. I'll be taking the Advanced Grading and Problem Coins seminar. I'm really looking forward to it. You can attend as a non-member but it costs quite a bit more.

Also, if you're a member, you can get your hands on their correspondence courses. One of them covers counterfeits and the material is excellent (including gold coins)! I think they have a grading version as well.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    There is no better class available than the one at the ANA Summer Seminar that Prethen mentioned. They have a Basic class and an Advanced class, each one is a week long. But you have to sign up early, they fill quickly. It covers multiple types of coins including gold.

I've been to both, and they are great. But you still have to go out and look at a lot of coins. No class is a substitute for looking at many different coins.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file