Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the real reason people do not allow others to view their registries?

2»

Comments

• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    To me its akin to playing baseball blindfolded..How can you compete with what you can't see??

that is just another ridiculous comparison.

this not a sporting event. the competition is who has put the time, effort and most importantly money to acquire their set. if someone does not want to trade or sell me their card there is no way i can get it legally. it doesn't matter if i have a blind fold on or not.

why don't you put your credit card #, dob, ssn, and all of your bank account information out for the world to see? Because it costs you MONEY if you do. people have chimed in and said that and still you don't get it.

actually you have a bunch of made up groupings in your registry. try stepping up to the real world of collecting where people collect entire years of cards. those of us in that group have a boatload more competition than your fred taylor rookie registry. you have a number of
    "sets" in your registry that have less than 50 cards. try building a 500+ card set from the 60's or 70's in PSA 9 or better and know the grind of building a 30-40 year or more set against vindictive bidders with deep pockets.
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>To me its akin to playing baseball blindfolded..How can you compete with what you can't see??

this not a sporting event. the competition is who has put the time, effort and most importantly money to acquire their set. if someone does not want to trade or sell me their card there is no way i can get it legally. it doesn't matter if i have a blind fold on or not.

why don't you put your credit card #, dob, ssn, and all of your bank account information out for the world to see? Because it costs you MONEY if you do. people have chimed in and said that and still you don't get it.

actually you have a bunch of made up groupings in your registry. try stepping up to the real world of collecting where people collect entire years of cards. those of us in that group have a boatload more competition than your fred taylor rookie registry. you have a number of
    "sets" in your registry that have less than 50 cards. try building a 500+ card set from the 60's or 70's in PSA 9 or better and know the grind of building a 30-40 year or more set against vindictive bidders with deep pockets. >>

I think Jasp just got knocked the image out! image

I personally think it's cute that other collectors feel entitled to know exactly what cards another person has in his set and in what condition.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To me its akin to playing baseball blindfolded..How can you compete with what you can't see??

"sets" in your registry that have less than 50 cards. try building a 500+ card set from the 60's or 70's in PSA 9 or better and know the grind of building a 30-40 year or more set against vindictive bidders with deep pockets. >>

I collect NFL HOF RC's...Sorry I don't fit your profile of a TRUE collector, but when you think you're ready to step up and pass me in the HOF RC set go for it. Its one of the most collected sets in the entire football set registry, and one of if not THE hottest market right now..Obviously, you only know whatever your area of expertise is and only what you know of your own experiences. My whole point of posting here was to give an alternate opinion and good reasons for others to open their sets. Not to be insulted or have my sets that I have worked on for 7 hard years be-littled.

My participation in this thread is now over. Close your sets and live in paranoia that someone might find out you have a PSA 9 POP 1/1 common..I will leave mine open WITH scans so I can view my cards even when I am deployed overseas to Iraq and/or Afganistan (active duty Army) like I was last year...

I welcome and and all buy/sell/trade offers if it means upgrading my set. Thanks to all who who have made great offers to me for the cards I need simply by viewing my open sets. I probably wouldn't be at 100% with a 7.30+ GPA without that...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    come'on czar. there's no need to insult another's collection or collecting habits. You can disagree, but no need to insult.

FWIW, JasP24 has a great NFL HOF RC set. It's a set I really admire. Plus from what I can tell, he put in some time and effort in devising the set with PSA. That's good stuff.
  • Options

<< <i>What about people who keep their complete PSA 10 sets closed?

Here's an example! >>

Perhaps his set rating only rounds to 10.00. Maybe his set rating is actually 9.997 and he needs one or two 10's to upgrade from 9's to have all cards in a 10. He might then not want anyone to know the ones he still needs.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I had mine blocked until the awards came out. I just liked the feeling of seeing my set 40 points higher than the nearest competitor making them think--" what in the heck did he grade/buy to move so far ahead of the rest of us?". Now they knowimage
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

This may be one of the most ridiculous and offensive posts I've seen. "stepping up to the real world of collecting" ... are you f'n kidding me? Who are you to judge the "worth" of another persons collection? Offensive, rude and it doesn't belong here.

You think there aren't deep pockets in the football world? Have you ever seen MOSH bidding on cards? Many of us, myself included, can't hold a candle to the "deep pockets" this guy has. Personally, I would like to look at his set just so I can appreciate it. The fact that you collect entire sets from pre or post-war and pay through the nose for a low-pop common doesn't fit my collecting interests whatsoever, but I would never belittle you or your collection. I find it incredibly rude and offensive that you would take this stance.

Jason is definitely one of the good guys on the football boards. Keep in mind, opinions were asked for and received, so I see no validity in challenging other members collecting interests.

Just my .02
  • Options
    As another one of those who collects the football hofers I just wanted to put my two cents in. As a newby I find it much more interesting reading than writing, but I do have something to say on this topic.

I think it's fun to see what people obtain and to see what low population cards turn up in other's sets. It's fun to see collectors upgrade their sets and I for one enjoy watching the machinations of trading and upgrading. I myself have bought and sold a lot of cards to determine how I wanted to go about collecting this set.

I don't mind anyone seeing what I need or what I have. Should I?

There is a high degree of FRIENDLY competition among those involved in the collection of the Football HOF Rookie Set.

Does anyone remember, FRIENDLY?

Marc.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I've talked to many collectors who do not like people, animals, or plants. Therefore, they feel warranted to close their sets to these things. Fine by me, but I've never understood the plant thing.
  • Options
    after thinking about this a little more and seeing that some people are getting upset in this thread, i've come to a couple realizations..

(1) blacking out your set is completely acceptable and there are good reasons for doing it. for example, I have noticed sellers pricing cards higher if i need them for my set.. in one recent case i remember, the seller listed several joe montana cards.. all the ones i needed, were priced higher than the ones i didn't need.. i don't think i'm paranoid either. There are sellers who will "target" cards that someone needs for their set, armed with info from the registry, i have no doubt. I do in fact notice this happening sometimes. It's not necessarily a bad thing. In a way, it's helpful. Now if they try to gouge you because you need it bad, that's different. When i notice that going on, i exercise my right not to bid.

(2) not blacking out your set has benefits also. since i've been on the psa message boards, people have actually contacted me with cards i need and helped me fill slots. This is a tremendous help. (thank you!) i also get offers from people wanting to buy singles out of my set. all in all i think it's more advantageous to have my sets open, but i do understand why other sets are closed.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've talked to many collectors who do not like people, animals, or plants. Therefore, they feel warranted to close their sets to these things. Fine by me, but I've never understood the plant thing. >>

I think most people don't realize that some plants are carnivores.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had mine blocked until the awards came out. I just liked the feeling of seeing my set 40 points higher than the nearest competitor making them think--" what in the heck did he grade/buy to move so far ahead of the rest of us?". Now they knowimage >>

I want to save this quote. image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    theczar, you come off as a complete moron.

You dont seen to have a broad based knowledge of collecting across sports and era's.

Why dont you keep your pie hole shut until your foot-in-mouth disease is cured.

Jasp, your HOF RC set is amazing. *especially on an Army salary image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    actually you have a bunch of made up groupings in your registry. try stepping up to the real world of collecting where people collect entire years of cards

uncalled for.. and completely untrue.. i gotta call bs on that.. IMHO, my master player set is freakin way harder than a complete "year" set of anything comparable. It requires cards from like 250 different sets or more.. you can buy ONE type of box/case/rack/wtfe and build your whole "year" set.. it just takes $$. whereas player master sets require everything... why don't YOU step up to the real world of collecting?

see, that type of comment isn't very nice, now is it?

jasp - nice set.. keep up the good work.. keep your head down, man image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What about people who keep their complete PSA 10 sets closed?

Here's an example! >>

Perhaps his set rating only rounds to 10.00. Maybe his set rating is actually 9.997 and he needs one or two 10's to upgrade from 9's to have all cards in a 10. He might then not want anyone to know the ones he still needs. >>

Mathematically impossible on a 12 card/12 point set. It would take over a 2000 point value set missing a 1 point PSA 10 to make this possible.