Home U.S. Coin Forum

200 plus 1794 BUST HALF DOLLARS ??

According to Sheridan Downey’s new mail bid auction there is an investor/collector in California that has a hoard of 200 plus 1794 Bust half dollars.

This should make for an interesting story, who out there has the skinny on this hoard?

Comments

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skinny is, that 1794 halves are rare....but 200 should bring down prices a bit....
    I hadnt heard of this...

The absorption should be interesting.
  • FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 821 ✭✭✭
    We know one thing for sure:

This fellow saved at least $100 over the course of his collecting carrer....image

I wonder if they are all Mint State image
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    If Laura finds out about these they might stay away for awhile keeping pricing where it is at.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1794 half dollar is a scarce coin, but it's not in the same league with the 1794 silver dollar.

I'll wager than a lot of that hoard, if it exists, and it probably does because Sheridan Downey is a stand up guy, has probably got more dogs in it than a kennel. There are a lot of really beat-up old silver coins out there, especially from the 1790s.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    The absorption should be interesting. "

John,
    Sheridan did not say anything about these coming to market.
    If the announcement was made, I cant imagine it not being a precursor...even a couple of years from now...of it coming to the market.

Hoarders tend to be quiet while hoarding....and more verbal before dispersment. image
  • GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148

Just in by email from an excellent reliable source,

“He thinks it's a smart investment, and has been doing it for about 10 years. He only buys slabbed or slabbable 1794's. No cleaned, damaged or repaired pieces. He cares nothing about die varieties."

So perhaps not so many DOGS as both of us might have thought Bill.
    The 'I' part also makes me think that they will soon hit the market.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that's where they all (or a lot of them) are. Sure aren't many on eBay image

I think that kind of sucks for one person to have so many, when so many have none.

maybe when they have the sale (and this is, surely, the preannouncement)
    then prices will decline (200 of them!) and some of us can get a single example for our year sets.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    200+ 1794 = 1994. Mebbe he's got 10 rolls of Kennedys.

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So that's where they all (or a lot of them) are. Sure aren't many on eBay image

I think that kind of sucks for one person to have so many, when so many have none.

maybe when they have the sale (and this is, surely, the preannouncement)
    then prices will decline (200 of them!) and some of us can get a single example for our year sets. >>

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    An acquaintance visited this gentleman a few years ago and saw his coins. The vast majority were 101s, as would be expected, grades all over the place, and quality was not as great as some have been led to believe. He supposedly stopped buying a few years ago because the prices had been run up too much. That happens when you buy up 60-70% of a fixed quantity. He was reportedly conversing with the top guy at a large auction house about conducting a controlled release of his hoard and may have already started selling, but this is conjecture on my part. The market for the ultra common 101 is pretty thin at today's prices and a too fast release can't help but have an impact on prices.
  • pcpropcpro Posts: 139 ✭✭
    In 1795, I wonder if a bunch of guys called these coins modern crap? image

PC
    An enthusiastic fan of Kennedy Halves for over 20 years. Always looking for great coins!! Email: wpflack@comcast.net
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    what is the ngc and pcgs total pops for this coin? 1500?
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

In 1795, I wonder if a bunch of guys called these coins modern crap?

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not unless the ye olde wooden slabbing company circa 1795 was slabbing them as super duper perfect unc look at me i can pay huge money for a wooden holder that says ms70

• << <i>In 1795, I wonder if a bunch of guys called these coins modern crap? image

PC >>

Only if they were put into pieces of plastic and sold at 100's or even 1000's of times face value. Also back then you could melt the coin into a slug and still have some precious metal value, something that cannot be said with most of todays modern coins.
  • librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    I havn't bought a coin in 4 months.............bring-em-on!image
  • 1794 halves being what they are and the series being as hot as it is, AND there being the demand for these 18th century coins, 100 or 200 would be swallowed up by this market with no hesitation...or drop in price. In situations as this...if it is true...can, at times, draw enough attention that the prices may increase.

Let's see what happens.

YJ

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file