Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does PCGS guarantee my coin is not from outer space?

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
it is not written down what exactly will happen if it turns out a coin they have certified is from outer space.

this concerns me deeply. I lose sleep over what exactly will happen regarding any potential "space coins"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    This would be especially pertinent regarding those gold sac dollars that rode on the shuttle.image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have oft wondered this myself. Perhaps, you should ask HRH in the Q&A. image
  • "Space Coins" will be returned to their rightful owner, postpaid !
  • lakeshorelakeshore Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Actually, one current school of thought is that most, if not all, of the gold on earth originated in outer space. Check out the Astronomy Picture of the Day site for May 15, 2005. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050515.html It states that gold might be most easily made as the result of collisions of neutron stars.
    Dan
  • Hold ON!!!! I found it in the stated policy on page 26. Item 14b. It states. "PCGS further more guarantees that NO coins submitted by Baley are from outer space." Anybody else needing help about PCGS policies as it pertains to them, let me know and I will find it. I have a brainpan computer that works quite well.

Jerry
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    That may explain why my coins preferred to be stored in Area 51.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, one current school of thought is that most, if not all, of the gold on earth originated in outer space. Check out the Astronomy Picture of the Day site for May 15, 2005. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap050515.html It states that gold might be most easily made as the result of collisions of neutron stars.
    Dan >>

Sorry, but you're in violation of forum rules.

DesertRat is the only poster allowed to refer to 'astronomy pic of the day'image

Check the Open Forum
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, one current school of thought is that most, if not all, of the gold on earth originated in outer space

Actually, the accepted science is that ALL heavy elements (heavier than hydrogen) are cooked up in star interiors and via supernova.

including the carbon, oxygen, nitrogen, and trace elements that make up, along with hydrogen, all life and terrestrial objects.

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Mankind is made up of star stuff.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • lakeshorelakeshore Posts: 178 ✭✭

Mankind is made up of star stuff .......... makes me think of Carl Sagan .......... miss his show ..........
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    If they're at groom lake they HAD to originate from outer space

BUT

after 60 years (coming up next year) they're considered "intra-terrestrialized" image
  • Yeah, this is the one I was worried about too.

I mean, sometimes you have to pay moon money for a coin, and I can live with that. I just don't want you dealers to be plucking coins out of uranus.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I wonder if pcgs would grade coins from an extraterrestial source?? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

you guys are image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Wow! Thanks for sharing, guys! I had many of these concerns as well! Back to the authenticity guarantee, what if, like my coins are from, like, unholy matter or something. How is that covered? Can they receive a papal blessing? And would they have to be sent to Rome? Who would be responsible for postage? And what if they get lost? What then??? What if HRH is a pagan or something? Would my coins be subjected to some harvest time ritual? Would PCGS have to hold on to the coins til then? What if some druid got hammered and put a fingerprint on a coin? What does the guarantee state about that? Is it addressed in the guarantee? Can anyone show me where it specifically covers a drunken druid mishandling my coins? Does it???
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The real danger is that time travelers are going back to when the coins were made
    and getting extra ones made off the record. If they could only afford enough fuel to
    go a few years to get home then they's be stopping along the way and selling these
    forgeries that can't be told from the real thing for a long time yet. Someday we'll find
    that most of the too nice to be real coins just simply aren't really real.
    Tempus fugit.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that why there are more nicer newer coins, cladking? How long will it take the aliens to make classic coins again at the mint and offer them on eBay to future collectors?

?????????????
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that why there are more nicer newer coins, cladking? How long will it take the aliens to make classic coins again at the mint and offer them on eBay to future collectors?

????????????? >>

Quite possibly. I never saw many high grade mint state moderns until just the last few years
    and now all of a sudden they're getting slabbed by the boatload. They couldn't buy enough
    fuel to last even a couple years with the proceeds from modern crap so they had to overshoot
    this era to get real money. Nowdays, though, they'll stop off and dump this stuff which is driv-
    ing the supply right through the roof. Of course they're all fake and the owners will lose their shirts.

On the bright side though, most people figure it's all a total loss anyway. image
    Tempus fugit.
    Maybe their intelligence is so superior to ours that they have realized that modern coins are the only TRUE investment coins as they exist in quantities that will allow them to be traded in blocks like stocks. Then in the future, when eBay buys the NYSE, they will be able to construct whole mutual funds that are safe and secure because of their immaculate asset base.

I would like 10,000 shares of MS69 2005 quarters, please.

And put a 7% trailing stop on them.

• Okay, so just what is the PCGS guarantee on time travel coins? Is that clearly spelled out? Does PCGS slab time travel coins? What about the guarantee? What about the guarantee??? We have a right to know!!!

• << <i>Okay, so just what is the PCGS guarantee on time travel coins? Is that clearly spelled out? Does PCGS slab time travel coins? What about the guarantee? What about the guarantee??? We have a right to know!!! >>

Well, we have been asking that same question for an hour now about outer space coins. We get no answers.
    Its an outrage.
  • robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Thanks for sharing, guys! I had many of these concerns as well! Back to the authenticity guarantee, what if, like my coins are from, like, unholy matter or something. How is that covered? Can they receive a papal blessing?

Your coins can certainly recieve a PayPal blessing, though after having recieved such a blessing you will find that 3.5% of their base metals are missing.

• << <i>Your coins can certainly recieve a PayPal blessing, though after having recieved such a blessing you will find that 3.5% of their base metals are missing. >>

Ehh, as long as it's not off the top, I don't care.
    I believe PCGS answered the question a long time ago but we haven't lived long enough to see it yet.

Hadn't considered the possibility of claims against the "time travel coin" guarantee...

now I'm really worried! image they don't even HAVE a time travel guarantee, do they?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and the jeopardy question is :

How many martians did it take to bring the Comstock Lode here ?
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    they don't even HAVE a time travel guarantee, do they?

Ah CRAP!!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think thats why turnaround times are so long; the grading is done on planet Pluto.
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and the jeopardy question is :

How many martians did it take to bring the Comstock Lode here ? >>

No, no, no....Silver is from Venus, Gold is from Mars. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    PCGS designates many coins as P.O.S. and returns them to their owners.

This stands for Probably Outer Space.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Why would they guarantee that the coins are not from outer space? PCGS grades non-US coins and an extraterrestrial coin would definitely be a non-US coin..
    ttt

• Does PCGS guarantee my coin is not from outer space?

Nice spoof on a serious subject.

But anyone who believes a serious subject like a guarantee of authenticity should be subject of a parody has his or her head up the arse IMO.
    does PCGS guarantee my coin has not been up MBT's arse? image

...................image
    ......Larry........image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I want my coins to be from outer space......I'll have to buy from ANACS in the future as they have a "our coins are from outer space" guarantee.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file