Home Stamps Forum
Options

so, what could I expect as a fair trade on mint sheets?

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
While I certainly hope to turn some of my inherited sheets to cash, I've also been playing a bit with my collection, adding lose stamps I find to my book, generally commemoratives from the 1940s. I never really focused on this era when I was collecting since they weren't "old" or "valueable" enough for my tastes at the time (truth be told my "tastes" probably resulted in a bunch of used crap and lower grade unused stamps but that is another story).

In any event I digress. My question(s) is if I were to take some 1940s sheets to a show/dealer and look to trade for individual unused 1940s commemoratives, what sort of ratio do you think fair: 50 stamp sheet for 50 indivdiual stamps? 40 stamps per sheet in trade? 25?

Comments

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I don't have an exact answer for you; but I do think it would be unfair to expect 50 different stamps from a sheet of 50 of the same stamp. This is assuming we are talking common material. It would depend on the dealer, but you could probably swap for at least 50%; depending on the value of the stamps you are wanting. Some dealers may let you swap near 1:1 but the stamps you are pulling from his stock would need to be min value items.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In reality about 75% of face even in trade.
    Maybe face if your buying an equal or more amount, but that depends on the seller's pricing.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In reality about 75% of face even in trade.
    Maybe face if your buying an equal or more amount, but that depends on the seller's pricing. >>

Talked to a collector and a dealer at a coin/stamp show last weekend (only one stamp dealer at the show) and both confirmed what I've been hearing all along as to the value of these sheets. Can't remeber if it was on these boards or at the show where someone said dealers buy at 75% face then just use the stamps for mail. Since face value of the collection is something on the order of $1.3K or $1.5K I don't think I could send that much mail the rest of my life. I may peddle these to friends, co-workers, etc at face. The 13 cent stamp sheets seem like they would be an easy sell right now. Already have my officemate signed up!!!!

In all seriousness I think that may be as likely an outcome as any for the sheets from the 1960s-1970s. I may swing by a local dealer and try the trade angle with some of the singles this weekend. I'll let everyone know how this project progresses. It is becoming increasingly clear that a one time windfall is less likely, but finding avenues to disperse this stuff has become a project onto itself.
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    If you know the exact face value, you may be able to get more by selling as a lot on eBay.

Also, some dealers will take mint US stamps as payment at full face.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Interesting info.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA