Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you like and dislike, if anything, about TrueView images

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
I'm curious what those who have submitted coins to PCGS TrueView actually feel about them after
comparing them in hand. Honest opinions please.

I'm also curious about the forum's photographers critiques about the TrueView images posted here.

Aside from the Registry, it's the greatest idea PCGS has ever conceived. Imaging coins raw before slabing.

Has it worked?

Comments

• Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    I can't complain about the results I've seen posted here and other places I've seen the Tru-View images.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After coaching Phil a bit on cameo proofs, he has done a wonderful job on many of my coins. I find that the images are accurate and the camera doesn't lie.

The only thing I would like to see on the TruView photos is the grade of the coin. It could be in the current location of the cert number as far as I am concerned. Obviously the cert number must be on the photo, but it could be de-emphasized in size and location. I find that I am more interested in the grade than the cert number.

Then again, by only showing the cert number, it encourages people to visit the PCGS website to confirm the grade. Could PCGS be smart enough to have thought of that strategy?

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the fact it portrays the colors properly. I'm not wild about it making this PR63 look like a PR68 ... but that's the limitation of ANY photograph.

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    dislike as the photos are

slightly below average as it does nmot show the true grade or coloration of the coin in hand sight seen

and........................

there are 5 on these boards that do a way better job at accurately photographing coins then pcgs
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was very happy with the photography work done by Phil (and from what I have seen, his work on circ gold has continued to improve), but I was dissatisfied with the service delivered by PCGS (ie. Phil would have the images done in a few days and 3 weeks later, PCGS would mail the coins back). Therefore, I stopped using the service.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of having the reflected light images as the primary image for a coin. Great for color, but not for surfaces.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to be critical because I know how I struggle photographing coins, and I appreciate the hard work that goes into what he does. He does a better job on coins than I do.

On the whole, I have a lot more positive to say about the pics than negative. So, I'm not judging Phil or his skills, but merely making a few comments.

- I agree with TDN that the photos tend to make the coins look better in an almost "fake" sort of way, mostly due to the almost transparency of the fields in many of the photos I've seen.
    - Copper does not look natural, or representative of what I think the real coins look like.
    - I would like to see the grade on the pic also.

Just my humble .02
    Doug
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall, it's much better than trying to photo them thru the slab.

Negatives are as noted, mainly it takes too long.

The photo may not capture the essence of the coin, but one pic seldom does.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

I would like to see the grade located somewhere on the TrueView cert. My cynical impression is PCGS doesn't do this because at some point in the future they will have given the coin a different grade than what they are giving it today.

KJ

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont like them at all. They remind me of the color plate images in Heritage auction catalogues or the US Mint pics of coins. They dont look like a "true" picture.

David
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with RYK - he brings up a great point.
    Phil usually shoots the pics and sends them to you withing 3 days of PCGS receiving the coins. Then it takes another month to put them back in the holders and return them. Makes no sense to me at all.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    The TruView photos do give a fair representation of the coins actual color. From a technical grading standpoint, the photos flatter the coin.

Another thing I've learned, when PCGS grades an attractive toner, there is no bump for eye appeal. Strictly technical grading...... and I've got a couple boxes of proof.
    Successful B/S/T transactions with: coindeuce, Lincolnsrule, DNADave, WTCG, jessecarlk, Coppercolor, cucamongacoin, ArizonaJack, SilverEagles92, JZRarities, greencopper, LindeDad, mozeppa
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the service and use it for my collection. I am also a color guy and like for the true look of the coin to be captured color wise. I think that for low end proofs, the service can make the coin look nicer in hand than it really is. For anything else, if you use the larger images, I think it brings out flaws.

Any smaller pic will make a coin look better, just like a coin always looks worse under a glass than at arms length.

PCGS has not been very good at customer service at any point, the Tru View service is no different. Phil however, is very customer service oriented and helpful/prompt.

Case in point. I sent in some submissions before I left. Got to PCGS at 650 am on June 3rd. Not entered until June 7th.
  • Options

<< <i>Another thing I've learned, when PCGS grades an attractive toner, there is no bump for eye appeal. >>

You won't find many to agree with you on this point, because it is simply untrue.

I wish the Trueview's would show the luster a little better.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< Another thing I've learned, when PCGS grades an attractive toner, there is no bump for eye appeal. >>

You won't find many to agree with you on this point, because it is simply untrue. >>

Ditto.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>I'm not a big fan of having the reflected light images as the primary image for a coin. Great for color, but not for surfaces. >>

I agree with this but if you figure that these are "beauty" shots not intended as a sales tool, then it's all good. I would imagine that if I bought a coin based on a Trueview pic, I'd probably be disappointed.

Edited for spelling...image
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them as they are, primarily showing the coins in their best looking state. However I don't think there's any way to "get it all" in a single pic. It's just impossible for
    anyone to get surface texture, luster, color, combined with every little detail in one pic.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    They look cartoonish or too good to be true, esp PF and MS coins. Some AU Barber TrueView pic's I have seen look very nice, but don't have the coins in hand to compare to.

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like them as they are, primarily showing the coins in their best looking state. However I don't think there's any way to "get it all" in a single pic. It's just impossible for
    anyone to get surface texture, luster, color, combined with every little detail in one pic. >>

I couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't try. image

Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The responses so far approve of the color representations. No surprise, PCGS TrueView caters to monster toned coins.

DMWJR made some comments I can relate to.

I agree with TDN that the photos tend to make the coins look better in an almost "fake" sort of way, mostly due to the almost transparency of the fields in many of the photos I've seen.
    - Copper does not look natural, or representative of what I think the real coins look like.

TrueView has some tweeking to do. I appreciate their silver monster toned images - it's tough to image these coins and
    the TrueView method may be the best I've seen. Imaging these coins is a major compromise.

TrueView falls way short with coppers, as DMWJR noted. Lustrous red copper just doesn't work under the TrueView system.
  • Options

I honestly feel that the majority of the TV's hide the bigger marks or hits. But with that being said, do you REALLY want all of your lower MS grade (below 67) coins to look like they were thrown on the ground multiple times, or do you want them to look beautiful on the photos?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 9:37AM

Some of my TrueViews show lots of hits, more than you would notice in hand due to the size of the TrueView vs. size of the coin. Could be a positive or a negative depending on how you look at it. Of course, these TrueViews may have been taken in the 11 years since this thread was created ;)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why resurrect an 11 year-old thread when there are other more recent pertinent ones?

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

TrueView falls way short with coppers, as DMWJR noted. Lustrous red copper just doesn't work under the TrueView system.

+1

I love the service and they do a great job. In fairness, it's almost impossible to capture both the color and luster of a lusterous toned or red copper cent.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

No complaints. I haven't got a bad one yet. I love them.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread, however, I have found the TruViews to be accurate, while at the same time providing an image in the best possible light...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file