Home Stamps Forum
Options

MALACK WEB

MALACK STAMPS IS ONE OF MY LEAST FAVORITE DEALERS, I HAVE MENTIONED WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THEM PREVIOUSLY ON POSTS. ONE THING BEING HOW NO MATTER WHAT A STAMP GRADES THEY ALWAYS WRITE IN THEIR DESCRIPTION WHY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GRADED HIGHER AS IF THEY WERE CHEATED ON THE GRADE AND THAT YOU THE COLLECTOR SHOULD REALLY WANT TO PAY MORE SINCE THE STAMP REALLY SHOULD GRADE HIGHER. NOEW THEY HAVE CHANGED SOME OF THEIR WORDING ON THEIR SITE IN THE GRADED STAMPS SECION:
"We will still be listing our stamps in the grade we feel they should be ,because of new policies by both the PSE and PF we feel this gives you the collector more insight into what to expect from a certain issue. Some stamps are available with large margins,while other issues are known with only small margins and we feel that just a numeric grade does not give you the entire story"
GEE, DEALERS ARE TRYING TO GO AROUND 3RD PERTY GRADING NOW ,UNLESS IT GOES IN THEIR FAVOR,I GUESS OLD(DEALERS) HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK. REMEMBER MAD MAGAZINE THAT USED TO HAVE A SECTION THTA WAS SOMETHING LIKE "WHAT THEY SAY AND WHAT THEY REALLY MEAN?" I HAVE INSERTED MY OWN WORDS BELOW TO CLARIFY. YOU SHOULD FIND IT HUMOROUS.
"We will still be listing our stamps in the grade we feel they should be( since listing them at their true grades would net us much less profit) because of new policies by both the PSE and PF(which aren't really "new" but make sellers accountable for what condition they describe a graded stamp as etc.) we feel this gives you the (inexperienced) collector more insight(that is our insight) what to epect from a certain issue(as we know more than an impartial grader who doesn't profit off of our stamps) Some stamps are available with large margins(which we price a 2 to 4 times the SMQ value)while other issues are known with only small margins(that is the 3 issues we have up for sale that are graded 80 and 85 that we say should be 98's even though there ARE copies in existence that grade 98 that have large margins) we feel that just a numeric grade(when we don't have a high one) does not give you the entire story(at least not our side of it)
HEY DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT CHECK OUT THEIR SITE AT www.Malack.com

Comments

• Options
    Here's the link

www.malack.com

Jerry
  • Options
    They have #C9 graded 98 mnh on ebay that they are asking $1,699 for ! Unbelievable, maybe a 98J in a big auction might sell for this or more. They're crazy. If this was in one of there catalogs before grtading caught on they still would have been asking for like $200( cv is $13.50 in my 2004 Scott)
  • Options
    edueku, I understand what you are saying in your June 07 post. I think it’s almost impossible for stamp dealers, or sellers of any kind for that matter, to be totally objective about items they have for sale. Are sellers a little biased? Of course! Every seller “sells” their product…it’s called salesmanship. So I can understand the inclination to be generous and creative when sellers are describing their products. That said, however, I tend to side with you when we are discussing graded stamps. A stamp’s grade is its grade, period. No amount of protest or descriptive embellishment is going to change it. That is why, on our web site, we don’t post a comment next to each stamp we have for sale. We list only the basic facts and the stamp’s grade. Plus we show large graphics of the stamp and all of its certs. I mean, what else is needed? Plus I think it keeps our web site simple and clean. I think you would agree if you checked out our site. Here’s the link if you're interested.

E & M Graded Stamps
    All life is precious, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential. Respect life, in whatever form it takes.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy smokes. I justed checked E&M for the premium of high ended graded stamps vs raw for the Great American series. Amazing. So what are the chances that with a complete set of full sheets of the Great American's that some number of them would grade high end.

The stamps have been nicely stored, but how much of those high end grades are determined as the stamps come off the press (just as coins have 10 grading points for uncirculated materials).
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Grading has more to do with the centering and condition of the stamp. If you apply for an application packet from PSE, I believe they will send you a copy of the SMQ and a booklet on grading stamps. The stamp needs to have excellent centering to get these high grades. If the gum has any kind of disturbance, it will not get a never hinged designation. I have seen several certs that say previously hinged, but you cannot find a hinge mark at all on the stamp. You would need to evaluate every single stamp on the sheet for condition, gum, perfs, centering, etc... for a chance of a high grade specimen.
  • Options
    Stamp vendor ,
    I have already checked out your site previously, not too bad. If you want to see a good Malack stamp for sale check out ebay#9532702718 "571 JUMBO VLH OG Should grade PSE 95+"
    Hmmm... So then what they mean to say is the full guideline on the left side will not drop the stamp one ENTIRE grade like it does on every other stamp graded by PSE with a full guideline on the perfs. Man, I can't stand those guys. Salesmanship is one thing, deception is another. I think ebay should require sellers who QUOTE an SMQ grade or price should have to guarantee that grade if it is submitted. The same as the common practice of guaranteeing the stamp if submitted for a regular cert.
    Ad4400,
    The Famous Americans, National Parks Issue, and Overrun Countries are all REALLY overpriced right now. You can buy a complete set of NP's on Steve Crippes site right now in 3-4 different grades.
    (95J 98 etc)Actually The NP's issue is the better of the three and it's prices aren't too far off base. The other 2 issues have huge spacing between the stamps on the sheets/plate layout allowing for very large stamps compared to other issues. As the years go by and barring a huge influx of collectors these prices will probably come way down except on the super high grades 98J+. I think a similar syndrome occured some years after grading got on in coin collecting with Morgan dollars.
    I will tell you some problems I have run into with stamp multiples when you find one worth grading.
    Short perfs from separation. I always lightly score the perfs on the gum side with a new X-acto blade(always wipe any excess oil off the blade first!) to keep any perfs being short towards or on the stamp I'm trying to single out. Watch corner perfs where they meet other stamps, sometimes an entire perf can be lost because of the way the perf hole rows cross at a certain point. This sounds a lot easier than it is by the way.
    FINGERPRINTS, this is something PSE doesn't ever mention in it's list of flaws that affect grading.
    I ALWAYS wear latex gloves, if you don't you may regret it later.
    Also when looking at a single stamp in a multiple, remember it rarely EVER looks the same when it has been seperated. I think it is an optical effect of being around so many other stamps. I will hold the sheet or stamp or sheet almost flat (like on a table for a sheet) in front of one eye with the other closed and look down the margin on each side to see if they all really are even. I do this from all 4 edges as the rows of perforations tend to tilt as they go through a sheet on older issues. I also block out all the stamps around with pieces of old black scott mounts this will give you a good idea of centering. Turning the stamp upside down also helps.
    Also you have to decide if the stamp is really worth submitting. PSE's cheapest fee is now $18 with a minimum of 10 stamps submitted they also require you to pre-pay for REGISTERED shipping which is never cheaper than $10.70.At least Apex lets you use your own postage you have lying around for return costs. A lot of 95's are really going cheap these days on stamps that predate the above mentioned issues, although I think they will start to rise again(1926 to 1930s).Type "PSE 95" or whatever grade, in "buy it now" on ebay if you wanna see some decent deals. Many are "or best offer" About 5 or 6 months ago I bought a 713 98 with "or best offer" for $140 which is $20 cheaper than the current smq which is almost always overpriced
    I think the above issues are selling well because they are popular issues and the fact thatthey are fairly newly listed in the SMQ also they are a lot of fun to attempt to complete.
    Gee I should just write a book and be done with it! Well maybe my ramblings will help some.

• Options
    Just got my usual automatic email from malackweb with at least 4 stamps listed as:
    "should have been a jumbo"
  • Options
    Well here is the new one they are trying to pull on ebay, "should be graded" "possible 95+ jumbo" "Certificate cost over $18.00" They have several new items listed with these phrases. Here is what they did: They submitted several stamps with a "minimum grade" the ones that didn't get a minimum of 95 or higher they are passing off as if when you resubmit them for a grade you will get a 95 or 98 when they already know you won't(since they have already submitted them for a grade). This is such blatant deception and totally unethical. They are asking 30 to 40 dollars for stamps with a catalog value of 2 to 3 dollars. Sorry but an ungraded cert does not make a 3 dollar stamp worth 30.If I submit a stamp worth a dollar for a regular cert and it comes back genuine it is still only worth a dollar. Oh well, someone out there starting out collecting will get burned and never pick up another stamp the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    We take offense to the disparaging and slanderous statements and comments being posted about Malackweb. Our reputation speaks for itself. We have been in business for over 20 years and our customer satisfaction is unparalleled. We are extremely confused as to why edueku (we have no idea who this person is, as he never furnishes an email address or a name for a response) seems to have a vendetta against us (maybe because we have outbid him on Ebay where he also hides his identity as Premiumgems**) We have been receiving continuous emails, that flood our mailbox and take up our time, in respect to items we are offering on Ebay from this very same person for the past 4 months now. These emails include nothing except the occasional jab at us for a typo or description that he does not agree with. This is the only communication, that we know of, with this gentleman. We would like to thank this person for putting our name out there though, as we are sure that many of you will come to our site and read our terms and decide for yourselves that we are one of the most RELIABLE, HONEST, KNOWLEDGEABLE and HELPFUL stamp companies in the United States.
    Yes, we do write our opinion as to what we feel a stamp should have been graded, but we also tell you the ACTUAL PSE GRADE that it was given TWICE per lot description (no deception there). Just remember that all certificates and grades given by the Professional Grading and Certification Companies are also opinions and are subjective. Here is some information to show you what we mean by giving our opinion of the grade versus the actual grade given. Rotary press stamps are usually much smaller than flat plate series stamps! The Offset Series of 1918-1920 were plagued by paper problems and poor gumming, The Overrun countries in general are a large well centered stamp, so 95's are going to be easy to find. These are things we have noticed over the past 20 years in business and we feel that this information is important to our customers in determining the value of what they are purchasing. We literally see thousands of Quality stamps each week. Yes, the PSE certainly does take points off for some inclusions, gum skips, guidelines, and fingerprints to name a few. We have had penciled in notes on the actual cards the stamps were returned in from the PSE that stated "grade reduced, gum skips". So, the PSE does take points off for these things, unlike what edueku says (where is he getting his information from). We in no way mislead or deceive our customers into thinking they are getting something that they aren't.
    We offer a LIKE IT OR RETURN IT, SATISFACTION GUARANTEED on each and every stamp that we sell (I wonder why that wasn't mentioned in these postings). ALL of our customers are given the opportunity to return ANY item that they are unhappy with within 10 days for a full refund with no questions asked (also on our site, wasn't mentioned in these postings). We hold an impeccable reputation with Linn's Stamp News, the APS, the ASDA, and Ebay. Our feedback rating on Ebay speaks for itself. In the last 6 months we have received 557 POSITIVE comments and zero negative or neutral comments. We treat our customers with RESPECT and give them the knowledge they ask for. If we were the unscrupulous company that we are accused of being, would we have a feedback rating like this? We invite each and every one of you to come to our site, read our terms, conditions, and guarantees and decide for yourselves what the truth really is.
    By the way here is the "COMPLETE" QUOTE directly off of our web-site (notice how the entire paragraph was edited) that edueku had so much fun with on June 7th. We aren't quite sure why edueku thinks this is so funny or what is he trying to do.

" We will still be listing our stamps in the grade that we feel they should be, because of new policies by both the PSE and PF we feel this gives you the collector more insight into what to expect from a certain issue. A PLUS (+) sign next to the grade indicates that either the stamp's grade was reduced by the PSE or PF due to a minor production flaw that does not detract from the appearance of a stamp or in our expert opinion the stamp should be graded higher due to special circumstances, please read our descriptions. Some stamps are available with large margins, while other issues are known with only small margins and we feel that just a numeric grade does not give you the entire story. So please read our descriptions and if you should have any questions please by all means give us a call as we are always happy to answer any questions or comments you have. Our website is designed with the collector in mind (quick loading), so if you would like to view a color photo just CLICK on the BLUE WORD 'PHOTO' just after the price. If you click on the PHOTO button
    and the photo does not appear, please tell us the lot number and we will fix the problem. We do not show PHOTOS for some of the more common ENCAPSULATED stamps, because we either cannot get a good scan because of the holder and or we may have more than one in stock. If you need a photo please ask and we will be happy to send you one."

We would like for all of the email writing to stop as it is not doing any of us any good. If edueku has a problem we are here to discuss it. We always welcome comments and look forward to the day that edueku contacts us in a way, without hiding his identity, so that we can respond to the issues that he seems to have with us. Any further postings in relation to our company will receive this same exact response, as we refuse to take up time that can be better spent giving our customers our full attention.

WWW.MALACK.COM
    Steve Malack Stamps is a leading United States Dealer who strives for total customer satisfaction. We BUY and SELL all U.S. stamps and coins. We pay more than market prices for all GRADED items. Please offer. SERVICE - INTEGRITY - KNOWLEDGE - PRICE Since 1986 Steve
  • Options
    "Memories...
    Of the way we were"
    la la la la