PCGS says it all

NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
I guess this seller must subscribe to "buy the holder...not the coin." image

ebay item #8426966027

<< <i>please don't ask for pics of reverses....PCGS says it all >>

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    The seller is the guy who pan fried a set of modern commems and got PCGS to holder them. And now he says "PCGS says it all"image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This seller was the topic of discussion recently regarding a Barber he had listed. He actually did add reverse images of that one.

<< <i>The seller is the guy who pan fried a set of modern commems and got PCGS to holder them. >>

Now, that adds a whole new light to this.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    I saw those PAN fried commems in person at my first ever coin show - the May 2005 PAN show. Go figure. I'd actually like to see those coins again as I recall comparing the toning to some other coins and thinking that they weren't dissimilar.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here's some of his work.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>please don't ask for pics of reverses....PCGS says it all >>

How about if I don't bid, either. Actually, considering the picture of the obverse, would a picture of the reverse really convey any more information?
  • Options
    FatMan, considering that image I'd have to say I've gain a lot of experience since forming my initial impression. Ick.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    No pictures, no returns, no combined shipping? NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's classic...... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised he actually added this to the auction info:

"Q: No pictures, no returns, no combined shipping? NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A: Sorry. I might not get the best price, but winning bidders of my coins will be getting a deal. If any of my Ebay friends don't want to bid under my conditions, I say for both of our sakes, DON'T BID! If you feel like it's worth the risk, then go for it. Thanks for your comment."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you feel like it's worth the risk, then go for it. >>

So he admits its risky to bid on his auction. Strange sales strategy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you feel like it's worth the risk, then go for it. >>

So he admits its risky to bid on his auction. Strange sales strategy. >>

Hi everyone. I'm just trying to be honest. It takes me 16 minutes to scan and list 6 coins at a time with this approach. I don't even like scanning the front, but I at least have to do that. I'm working down my inventory as fast as I can. I tried the coin shows with poor results. I can't think of any other way to sell them quickly, but fairly. So there you have it. Quick and dirty; hassle free for me; nothing to hide. I sold a Jefferson nickel the other day for around $85 that I thought would go for $250. Oh well.....I am not as concerned about the price I get. I'm just looking to exit the coin business and I expect this to take a year or so at the pace I'm going. As for the Golden Silver Collection, I expect to keep this. PCGS has not graded any more toned coins for me. I have recieved back a dozen or so AT, so my pan frying days are over. I have decided to keep the collection going with DCAM70 coins from this point forward. I own one so far, with 3 more to add when I can. I do own lots of raw coins that I don't know how I'll sell fairly but quickly. I sold a box of MERCS recently, all pre 1932, all uncleaned and G-XF. 288 coins sold for a little over $400. I guess that's fair. Well below greysheet, but as fair as it gets with all the conditions I put on the auction. But I do thank everyone for comments; good and bad. I received a few positive comments on the 1949P Washington that I didn't add to the auction. But I did add the one who said NO THANKS. It certainly wasn't a marketing strategy; I just wanted everyone to be clear on my auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>I have recieved back a dozen or so AT, so my pan frying days are over. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>PCGS has not graded any more toned coins for me. I have recieved back a dozen or so AT, so my pan frying days are over. >>

This says two things. One, he admits publicly to having altered coins by heating them to tone them. And Two, at least some of them got by PCGS and were slabbed as NT. So you can't say that just because a toned coin is in a PCGS slab that the toning is NT.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm!
    Gotta' Love it.

Exactly what does Pcgs say?

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    An ebay listing gets you one image free, doesn't it? Is this a case of not wanting to spring for a few more pennies to show the other side? That's my guess.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS has not graded any more toned coins for me. I have recieved back a dozen or so AT, so my pan frying days are over. >>

This says two things. One, he admits publicly to having altered coins by heating them to tone them. And Two, at least some of them got by PCGS and were slabbed as NT. So you can't say that just because a toned coin is in a PCGS slab that the toning is NT. >>

He posted a whole thread here about those pan-fried slabbed commems a while ago, and also displayed the whole set at a local show. He was completely upfront about the whole thing.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    There are AT coins in all holders. That is nothing new. The only new thing here is that this gentleman has been honest enough to admit to it. My gut instinct tells me that many others still engage in this unsavory activity, and do it well enough to get most of them in the top 2 plastic holders. JMHO.
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options

<< <i>So you can't say that just because a toned coin is in a PCGS slab that the toning is NT. >>

Does anybody actually say that?

Russ, NCNE
This discussion has been closed.