Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Frank--How could you sell out to the Evil Empire?????

Bad news guys. Frank Evanov, one of the true good guys of sports card collecting, has caved in to the pressures of the almighty dollar and sold his 1964 Philadelphia set to the Evil Empire.

Frank--How could you????????????????

Frank's set had a stellar 9.09 set rating which the Evil one now assumes.

I knew when I heard that Frank was on the golf course with Jeremy and the Evil Empire it spelled trouble....but I never could have fathomed this.

Fuzz--looks like you and me are the only ones holding out given that Shouldabeena and Art have fallen all over themselves to sell to the Evil Empire.

Dav

Comments

• Options
    I will sell to you to Jim you just need to write that extra 0 on the check image
    As for selling to shouldabeen however he will not buy from me anymore since he complained last time that the corners were square and not round image

Sorry to see Franks set go but i am sure he got TOP $$$$$$$
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    What's wrong with making money? Especially if it was a set he wasn't in love with anymore?

If he sold it for more than he put into it, good for him.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cash Rules Everything Around Me. >>

hoez wanna know what i'm 'bout..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Art,

Is that why I keep losing?

No wonder shouldabeen won't give be the last 2 Mayrose I need--rounded corners. It really bothers me I have to share an award with him--are we going to tear it in half and split it?

Frank--just promise you won't sell your 57 Topps Baseball set to the Evil Empire.

Jim

Jim

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Dav - would you sell your cards to MOSH if the pirce was right?

My cards aren't all that great, but they also aren't for sale.
    I've spent way too much time and love on them to throw them away for a few bucks.

Others may be in different circumstances.
    Can't really blame them for cashing in while they can, if they need to ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    "I've spent way too much time and love on them to throw them away for a few bucks"--Wolfbear

Me too--I can't believe anyone would prioritize money over a place in the 60s Olympics--and then stick a dagger in the heart of his friends by selling out to the Evil Empire.

Frank--you could have let go of some of those psa 10s from 1957 Topps Baseball???????

Jim
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    I can't believe he betrayed you like that.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Frank will take that dough and start another set.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    What's wrong with making money? Especially if it was a set he wasn't in love with anymore?

I can't blame Frank for selling, but I'd be surprised that the reason was he didn't love the set anymore. Frank was always very diligent when upgrading and was always kind enough to offer me a card that I needed when he upgraded. He probably has more knowledge about Philly football (especially 64) than anyone I know.
    I hope he keeps me in mind is he sells his 56 Presdents setimage

MOSH had many of the 64's already so I wouldn't be surprised to see the dupes on Ebay.

Don't worry Dav, my 65 Phillys are staying put. Fabfrank is firmly on the side of the Angelsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    FabFrank,

I am sure he loves the set. I need two in psa 8 or better to complete the set and he recently let me know he found one of the two
    I needed. Now to find that pesky card #2.

Hey--I claim first dibs on the 56 Presidents set if Frank sells.

Jim
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't worry Dav, my 65 Phillys are staying put. >>

Glad to hear it, Frank!
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    WHO is the EVIL EMPIRE?????

Loth
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Lothar, I think it is MOSH. I have heard some good things about them.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Hail the almighty dollar
  • Options
    Anyone who calls MOSH them does not know much about MOSH.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who calls MOSH them does not know much about MOSH. >>

Anyone who takes things so seriously that is supposed to be FUN and a HOBBY doesn't know much about either one of them.
  • Options
    Axtell,

You obviously have no idea what all of us are talking about here--the whole thing is tongue-in-cheek and is based on a long running conversation. All these guys are friends of mine.
  • Options
    Hey--I claim first dibs on the 56 Presidents set if Frank sells.

I live closer to him Dav. You'll have to beat me to himimage
  • Options
    FabFrank,

Do you live on Long Island?

Jim
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    FabFrank,

Jim

Yes he does...as do I.

The sale of my set was actually arranged in December of 2005. A big thanks to Jeremy of The Football Card Store for getting this deal done. If you are selling Football, he is definitely the man.

I apologize for the last minute timing of the transaction, but as I said, the deal was made in 2005 and problems on the other end led to a May 30th ending date. To clarify, I really love the 64 Philly set and I did not sell out of need. However, the price offered was extremely generous and I could not turn it down. I plan on using the funds to improve my other sets.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>I plan on using the funds to improve my other sets. >>

I actually think that's what it is all about (no, the hokey pokey thing was a myth). Priorities and interests do change over time and if one thinks they'll be tied to one set forever and ever, that would be pretty small-minded. The only way around this is to make all cards worth "nothing" again like when some of us were kids.
  • Options
    Frank(Mantlefan),

So Shouldabeens story about you, Jeremy and the Evil Empire was true?

You're still a great guy in my book.

Jim
  • Options

Hi Jim. Yes I do. Funny thing is, I was born and raised in the Bronx and always refer to myself as a "city kid" rather than an "Islander"

mantlefan- have you decided on what sets you are going to spend your new found spoils... er funds onimage?
  • Options
    mantlefan- have you decided on what sets you are going to spend your new found spoils... er funds on?

Fabfrank...T206 beckons.
    Frank

• Options
    Good luck Frank. I'm also glad that you aren't starting any sets that I'm working onimage
  • Options
    FabFrank,

I was born in Smithtown, grew up in Westhampton Beach and got my masters at Hofstra.

Jim
  • Options
    I was born in Smithtown, grew up in Westhampton Beach and got my masters at Hofstra.

Jim- Like I said I grew up in the Bronx and still return once or twice a month to visit my parents, in-laws and assorted cousins and friends. My wife is my H.S. sweetheart. I got my B.S. at Fordham Univ., and am getting ready to go back for my Masters. I'll probably do that in education rather than business. I still haven't made a decision yet.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now to find that pesky card #2. >>

dav, you can say that again, I had one gradable one out of a lot of 800 cards that came fresh from racks. there were probably 20 others that were all out of focus. If memory serves me correct, fabfrank has the one that I graded which is proably the nicest 8 you can find . never found another nice one in my travels as well even though I keep a look out for it.
  • Options
    If memory serves me correct, fabfrank has the one that I graded which is proably the nicest 8 you can find .

Hi Duncan. It's been a long time since I've heard from you. I can't remember if you sold be that particular card, but I wouldn't be surprised. Packcollector has been very helpful over the last few years in locating Philly football cards for me. I just need a few 66 and 67 Philly's to finish my sets. I hope you can help me find those cards.image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    No one should have to apologize for what they do with their cards, they can do as they please. Just because the buyer happens to have deep pockets and is not very well liked by many, should not get everyone jumping on the sellers back on this. He did what he thought was right and we should give him props if he made some nice coin on his sale! I know I wish I had the kind of money some of the set registery owners have to spend on cards. JMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>No one should have to apologize for what they do with their cards, they can do as they please. Just because the buyer happens to have deep pockets and is not very well liked by many, should not get everyone jumping on the sellers back on this. He did what he thought was right and we should give him props if he made some nice coin on his sale! I know I wish I had the kind of money some of the set registery owners have to spend on cards. JMHO. >>

Stingray >>> Dav was being sarcastic
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Sorry if was to be taken that way, my mistake.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I have done some nice deals with John (MOSH) .

Lake to Lake Packers, 68 FB.

When he comes calling its hard to resist.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Do you live on Long Island?

Hi Jim. Yes I do. Funny thing is, I was born and raised in the Bronx and always refer to myself as a "city kid" rather than an "Islander"

mantlefan- have you decided on what sets you are going to spend your new found spoils... er funds onimage? >>

Not that I have any real input in the discussion, but I am on Long Island too......Northport here !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    In selling your set to Mosh, did he approach you guys, or did Jeremy contact you?
  • Options
    Not that I have any real input in the discussion, but I am on Long Island too......Northport here !

bri2327- I'm in Huntington. Near Greenlawn. I would say we are very closeimage
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Not that I have any real input in the discussion, but I am on Long Island too......Northport here !

bri2327- I'm in Huntington. Near Greenlawn. I would say we are very closeimage >>

practically neighbors !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>In selling your set to Mosh, did he approach you guys, or did Jeremy contact you? >>

Sixdart he approached me two times about sets both times i said no the first time then months later he came back with a bigger offer.

Then i sold him 3 sets the 66 ,67 ,68 topps sets had a current gpa of about 8.5 at the time and the 67 and 68 both were # 1 at the time and 8.20 or so on the 66 was just behind the FUZZ at # 2 through Rick Snyder at mint state
  • Options
    Just a note on this, but it should be clear that none of us have any anomosity towards MOSH and everything I have heard from every source is nothing but first class (not many guys can have that said about them). I believe there may be a twinge of envy here and there
    but honestly who among us doesn't wish we had more money to spend on cards. His discressionary budget seems the largest and there are some good sized ones here. His "Collection of the Year" award was well deserved and it continues to get better every time I look.
    But I do find it frustrating when someone sells a top set to MOSH. Frankly, when he sets down at the table, the price of poker goes up. Way up. It's like being at the craps table playing $5 or $10 minimums when the pit boss walks up switches to $1000 minimum and says it applies to everyone after this shooter. (That actually happened and it was the fastest I have ever seen a table empty.) I know that the price of the cards I need is going up, often triple. After that is after the fact that we are sometimes at multiples of SMR BEFORE he gets there. I choose not to spend the money to compete. But I put the sets together one card at a time and it is frustrating to realize that those awards that have been worked for are now gone for years to come. In many cases I have quite a few $ tied up in second place. Guys smarter than me sold there sets and got absolute top $ I'm sure and made a profit. Nothing wrong with that. But in cases like Skinsfan, he has his set back and probably a little change still in his pocket. His 66 set is as high a it was and he is back to right behind me in that race. We just notched down a little.
    So in my case I play Nearmint's Olympics now and again get some satisfaction. Now it is again disappointing to finish second and this time to a guy that probably doesn't even know we are playing. But what the heck, the rest of us are having a good time playing for second and talking a little trash in the mean time which is what this group and this thread are all about. We all wish MOSH the very best. But for those that have some occasional contact,
    1) Does he know we play Olympics or I am really losing to a guy that doesn't try? That's bad but I'm kicking Dav's tale and there is something to be said for that.
    2) Please let MOSH know that if he were to ever read these he is more than welcome to join in. His insight and opinion would be clever I'm sure.
    3) I want to welcome him to the Dark Side. Now they have someone else besides "Fear the Fuzz" to pick on. My calling in life was to be a bad guy professional wrestler. I love the crowd booing. "Fear the Fuzz" has brought me thousands of smiles and a bunch of new friends. Hope the "Evil Empire" works as well for him.

Now Dav, back to business. Whether it was MOSH or Mantlefan, none of us were ever going to catch that set anyway. But dpn't worry some of us are not far behind you and you may want to start focusing on the rear view mirror and stop looking at the distant speck up front. I am planning to run you through the ringer on the Olympics this year and the last pieces are starting to fall in to place. I also saw you passed my 66 T BB set recently. So.......... after a few years of not updating and not really collecting, I'll start dragging my stuff out and see what I can do there. At least make it interesting for you.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Classic post Fuzz.

I love the line about finishing second to a guy who does not know we are playing. Perhaps true--but probably not.....shouldabeen says he has secret tapes of Jeremy and the Evil Empire discussing Olympics Strategy.

A "twinge of envy" about the cash they bring to the table. Brian and I were tracking for a while how much Spence was sinking into cards just on ebay--the numbers are staggering--probably well into seven figures annually. The Evil Empire is probably putting in close to this.

"I'm kicking Dav's tale(tail?) and there is something to be said for that"--You are--how depressing--

Lastly Fuzz suggests I should focus on the rear view mirror--nope, I'm playing offense here--defense is for losers.

A different Olympics but in the 50s I may be pulling even with the Evil Empire--perhaps I can distract he and Jeremy and we can gain ground in the 60s while he is distracted. You get him in the 70s Fuzz and I'll get him in the 50s.

Dav
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Interesting, you got a guy MOSH that is obviously very competitive.
    Buy's just about what ever set(s) he wants, because he has THE HAMMER.
    Doesn't post ....... who could really blame him?
    I like his style.

He is above all this Fear The Fuzz, Evil Empire tongue and check stuff you guys enjoy so much.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    You guy's seem to have a good time with it and that is what the hobby is all about, having a little fun.

But I just don't think that is the MOSH style.
    Who knows, I have never met the man, although I did have a nice transaction with him this past year
    thru Jeremy.

Just call it a hunch.

• Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whether it was MOSH or Mantlefan, none of us were ever going to catch that set anyway. >>

True, but when Frank had it, it felt like part of the family, and we could all be a little proud of it. Remember, he added a little note about the player for each card? We'll never see those again. It was Frank's set to sell, of course, but hearing that he sold it made me sad. It reminded me of when the cool, family-owned video store in my neighborhood got sold to Blockbuster.

Mike
  • Options
    It was Frank's set to sell, of course, but hearing that he sold it made me sad.

I felt the same way, but Frank is a big boy and it was his decision to sell. Good for him.image

• Options
    I don't think it's in the best interest or the vision of the set registry to have one person or entity dominate every set. It is somewhat depressing to be overpaying on cards to hold on to the top spot only to have MOSH (#3) buy out #2, combine, and pass you by.

BUT.... I think the real injustice here is that a "Museum" would be closed to the public! To have such a collection properly documented and scanned (you know, like a "Museum" would do) would be awesome.
  • Options
    bcd33- That's been my only criticism of MOSH and PSA. The Set Registry is a public forum, but the winner on many of its's sets (MOSH) has their sets closed. I feel that if you want to participate in the Registry and keep your sets hidden, than you shouldn't be allowed to receive a public award.
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Fab Frank,
    I hear what you are saying .......but it most likely is in MOSH's best interest to have his sets
    private.
    It costs him less money to upgrade when the general public does not know what he really needs.
    Nobody bidding him up or playing games with his wants.
    When you are at his level, it makes sense to keep things closed up.
  • Options
    hear what you are saying .......but it most likely is in MOSH's best interest to have his sets private

I've heard this argument, but does it really matter. MOSH pays through the roof to begin with. Also, with Jeremy bidding for him and sniping, he still can fly under the radar and snag any item he wants.

it's only my opinion (and PSA has made it clear they don't agree with it), but I feel that anyone who keeps their set hidden should not qualify for an award. It's unfair to those who use the Registry to compete, and I feel it goes against the spirit of what the Registry is about. Again, only my opinion.
  • Options
    it's only my opinion (and PSA has made it clear they don't agree with it), but I feel that anyone who keeps their set hidden should not qualify for an award. It's unfair to those who use the Registry to compete, and I feel it goes against the spirit of what the Registry is about. Again, only my opinion.

I agree with you there Frank...what's the point of giving an award to something that cannot be viewed? Kinda like an Oscar for a movie no one is allowed to see!

BTW, my cards/scans/descriptions remain on the "All Time Finest" list. That way I can look at them anytime I want.image
    Frank

• Options
    I will also lend my support to FabFrank's idea.

All of my 200-Plus sets are open and why not? This allows other registry participants and dealers to see what you need and offer you cards directlt. It happens all the time.

Jim