Home Sports Talk
Options

BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
Went to the game last night and saw his 400 ft foul ball. Then today - BAM - to centerfield.

Crap.......I always miss the homers in person.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might be the only one but here goes...........CONGRATULATIONS BARRY BONDS!!!
  • Options
    LWMMLWMM Posts: 471
    Looking for Jonny Gomes cards, especially Triple Threads and printing plates. Will consider all cards, though. Got something? Contact me at c_u_l_1@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>* >>

My thoughts exactly.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>* >>

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Boo...Not interested...
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    yawn
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Imagine if this was 1998 all over again? The hype would be unbelievable, but now...nothing.
  • Options
    Well, in 98 all the other stuff wasn't known then. If it was, it'd be exactly the same.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

<< <i>Well, in 98 all the other stuff wasn't known then. If it was, it'd be exactly the same. >>

I hear ya, that's what I was getting at, though. It's an empty feeling now realizing how much I rooted for McGwire and Sosa back then...
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    No numbers will ever replace the Babe, no matter how many homers Barry * hits.
    Capecards
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Good for him. I think any baseball fan in the know recognizes that this does not mean he is a better player than Babe Ruth - by a long shot.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, in 98 all the other stuff wasn't known then. If it was, it'd be exactly the same. >>

I hear ya, that's what I was getting at, though. It's an empty feeling now realizing how much I rooted for McGwire and Sosa back then... >>

I know exactly what you mean. I was such a huge fan of baseball when I was younger, now I still watch but it's not the same.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less what Barry Bonds does or what his stats are. Hope he enjoys the records while he can because I think he'll probably be dead from steroid induced diseases sometime within the next five or ten years.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    I've got one name for ya................Lyle Alzado.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -
  • Options

<< <i>No numbers will ever replace the Babe, no matter how many homers Barry * hits. >>

babe is not even the home run king anyway,

so what is the big damn deal?

if he hits 756 then you can all hate him, but for now, it is no different than

when he passed Willie or the members of the 500 club.

• Options
    Unbelievable how much hatred towards the guy, I know we have been back and forth with this before but please, Do you guys hate everyone in the majors that did the juice just as bad? Please tell me you do!
  • Options
    ^^When I was a little kid I looked up to ballplayers(Even though my favorites weren't sluggers; I looked up to Donnie Baseball, Wade Boggs, and Tony Gwynn) but I do not like any steriod user. It cheapens the game for me.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    You all hate Bonds, cause you you aren't Bonds. He is a freaking god-human. How can you not love this guy, he cares about the fans, he
    cares about kids at the ballparks, he cares about the game. What is up with this negativity? Fat old Babe Ruth has NOTHING on this guy.
    Bonds would have around 3,000 homers right now, if every white pitcher in the league didn't decide to chicken out and walk the guy!
    I mean Bal, urrrr the park in San Fran, is a frekaing fortress, there are no cheap home runs, you have to hit it a mile for it to get out
    not to mention IN THE DRINK!

Im sorry, and I may be in the minority here, but Bonds is the best thing to ever happen to baseball..wait, I mean the best thing in sports..
    no wait, the best thing ever..sliced break...who cares, Neil Armstrong....couldn't hit a homer on the moon with a 2 by 4! I would even
    take Bonds over Penicilian!!

BONDS BONDS BONDS

JS
  • Options

THG: The Homerun Guys. Animation will load shortly

<< <i>
    In His Own Words: Bonds on allegations of steroid use
    "Doctors ought to quit worrying about what ballplayers are taking. What players take doesn't matter. It's nobody else's business. The doctors should spend their time looking for cures for cancer. It takes more than muscles to hit homers. If all those guys were using stuff, how come they're not all hitting homers?"

-- May 21, 2002

"No. I don't have to [use steroids]. I mean, I'm a good enough ballplayer as it is. I don't need to be any better. I can't get any better at this age."

-- June 2002,
    in an interview on On the Record with Bob Costas

"I never asked. When he said it was flaxseed oil, I just said, 'Whatever.' It was in the ballpark ... in front of everybody. I mean, all the reporters, my teammates, I mean they all saw it. I didn't hide it."

-- Dec. 4, 2003,
    during grand jury testimony, according to the San Francisco Chronicle

"I don't know Tim Montgomery. I've never met him. When accusations come from someone you don't even know, what can you do?" They'll be talking to my lawyer."

--June 25, 2004,
    to USA Today in response to allegations from a former world-class sprinter that Bonds received steroids from BALCO

"All you guys lied! All of y'all and the story have lied. Should you have asterisks behind your name? All of you lied. All of you have said something wrong. All of you have dirt. When your closet's clean, then come clean somebody else's ..."

"What did I do? What did I do? What are you going to apologize for when you're wrong? This is old stuff. I mean, it's like watching Sanford and Son. It's just rerun after rerun after rerun. It's almost comical, basically. We've got alcohol that's the No. 1 killer in America, and we legalize that. You've got tobacco, No. 2 or 3 killer in America. We legalize that. There's other issues. It's become Hard Copy all day long. Are you guys jealous? Are you upset? Disappointed? What? ..."

"I don't know if steroids are going to help you in baseball. I just don't believe it. I don't believe steroids can help eye-hand coordination [and] technically hit a baseball."

-- Feb. 22, 2005,
    his first public comments after his grand jury testimony was leaked

"You're talking about something that wasn't even illegal at the time. All this stuff about supplements, protein shakes, whatever. Man, it's not like this is the Olympics."

-- March 4, 2005

"You wanted me to jump off the bridge, I finally have jumped. You wanted to bring me down, you've finally brought me and my family down. Finally done it. From everybody, all of you. So now go pick a different person. I'm done."

-- March 23, 2005

"The fact that someone should write in the newspaper is, I've never failed a drug test."

-- Sept. 18, 2005

"I think we have other issues in this country to worry about that are a lot more serious. Talk about the athletes that are helping [Hurricane] Katrina. Ask yourselves how much money y'all personally donated and have helped. You know what? There are still other issues that are more important [than steroid use in baseball]. Right now people are losing lives and don't have homes. I think that's a little more serious, a lot more serious. I've been tarnished in baseball for years and years, brother. There's nothing you guys can write or people can say that will ever fix that. It doesn't matter anymore. I go out there and enjoy the game."

-- Sept. 21, 2005

"It's still Hank's record. And whether I break it or not, what's important is that whoever does it, you just hope it inspires some little kid down the road to say, 'He did it. I could do it.' I'll be on his side."

-- Feb. 23, 2006

>>

<< <i>

The Documentation
    The authors' extensive research produced compelling evidence of Bonds' use of performance enhancers

By Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams

This narrative is based on more than a thousand pages of documents and interviews with more than 200 people, many of whom we spoke to repeatedly. In our reporting on the BALCO story for the San Francisco Chronicle, we obtained transcripts of the secret grand jury testimony of Barry Bonds and seven other prominent professional athletes. We also reviewed confidential memorandums detailing federal agents' interviews with other athletes and trainers who had direct knowledge of BALCO. Sealed material we reviewed also included unredacted versions of affidavits filed by the BALCO investigators; e-mail between BALCO owner Victor Conte and several athletes and coaches regarding the use and distribution of drugs; a list of evidence seized from the BALCO storage locker; and a document prepared to brief participants in the raid on BALCO.

Memos detailing the statements of Conte, BALCO vice president James Valente and Bonds's trainer, Greg Anderson, to IRS special agent Jeff Novitzky were sealed when we first reviewed them, but they have since become part of the public file in the BALCO case. The BALCO search warrant affidavits and other court records provided significant information. We also obtained a recording made without Anderson's knowledge in 2003 by a person familiar with Bonds's trainer; in it, Anderson acknowledged that Bonds was using an undetectable performance-enhancing drug to beat baseball's drug tests. Kimberly Bell, Bonds's former girlfriend, provided legal correspondence, transcripts, audiotapes of voice mail and many documents regarding her relationship with Bonds.

We conducted our interviews about BALCO from September 2003 until the autumn of '05. The names of many of our sources appear in the text or in the extensive chapter notes included in Game of Shadows. Some sources requested anonymity to avoid interfering with the federal BALCO investigation and a related grand jury probe that continued into '05. Some additional information about sources who requested anonymity appears in the chapter notes.

When they raided BALCO in September 2003, federal investigators began to accumulate evidence that Bonds was a steroid user. By the summer of '05, investigators had convincing proof that he had been using performance-enhancing drugs for years and that drugs had been provided to him by Anderson, who obtained them from BALCO and other sources. The evidence also showed that Bonds had not been truthful when he told the BALCO grand jury under oath that he hadn't knowingly used steroids.

After his grand jury appearance, Bonds continued to insist publicly that he had never used banned drugs, and the San Francisco Giants, who were paying him $90 million over five years, made no move to investigate his conduct or restrict his contact with suspected steroid dealers, arguing that there was no proof of wrongdoing.

Nevertheless, proof of Bonds's drug use exists, most of it in the possession of federal agents, much of it in the public domain. The evidence includes the statements of confessed steroid dealers, the account of a Bonds confidant as well as considerable documentary and circumstantial evidence. It also includes the account of a source familiar with Bonds who has specific knowledge of his use of banned drugs. That evidence forms the foundation of this narrative. Here is the evidence in review.

•Statements to Federal Agents

1. When he was questioned during the raid, BALCO's James Valente told Novitzky that Bonds had received the undetectable steroids the Cream and the Clear from BALCO. Valente said Anderson had brought Bonds to BALCO before the 2003 season, seeking steroids that would not show up on drug tests. Valente said he provided Anderson with drugs to give to Bonds. Valente pleaded guilty to a steroid conspiracy charge in 2005.

>>

RIP Snow
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I read an interesting article that detailed approximately how many home runs Bonds would have lost had he not done steroids, and the career number they came up with was 616, or roughly 100 home runs he's hit that he wouldn't have if he hadn't juiced.

That still would be an astronomical number, but he (a) wouldn't be the single season holder and (b) he wouldn't be #2 on the list.

He's a cheat and a liar. How is his cheating any different than what Rose did? Rose is banned for life from baseball, while Bonds' actions had direct implications on games, yet he's still playing.

Fair?
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

* denotes roid infested body.
  • Options

<< <i>I read an interesting article that detailed approximately how many home runs Bonds would have lost had he not done steroids, and the career number they came up with was 616, or roughly 100 home runs he's hit that he wouldn't have if he hadn't juiced.

That still would be an astronomical number, but he (a) wouldn't be the single season holder and (b) he wouldn't be #2 on the list.

He's a cheat and a liar. How is his cheating any different than what Rose did? Rose is banned for life from baseball, while Bonds' actions had direct implications on games, yet he's still playing.

Fair? >>

A baseball analyst was saying had Ruth been playing in baseball parks the same size as Bonds has, he would've ended up with nearly 1100 home runs. This number was contrived from fly balls Ruth hit, and using the distance they went to determine if they would've been home runs in todays much smaller parks.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Barry Bonds*

*<---is an actual steroid. It's attatched to him. Barry, how can you deny using steroids when you have one attatched to you?
  • Options
    fab4fab4 Posts: 280 ✭✭
    to say babe ruth would have had 1100 homers if.................and bonds would have 600 if................

about babe if he played in the same size stadiums it could be possible for him to have more homers

if bonds would hit against the same type pitching (these guy worked at sears and were clothing salemen when they were not major leaguers) , a very few pitchers were mentioned with 90 miles an hour fastball, or releivers were not specialized like today. some pitchers would pitch both ends of doubleheaders.

how many home runs would he have ...................41 to go and goodbye hank
  • Options

<< <i>Unbelievable how much hatred towards the guy, I know we have been back and forth with this before but please, Do you guys hate everyone in the majors that did the juice just as bad? Please tell me you do! >>

I'm with you on this perkdog. I don't understand all this hatred directed towards Bonds.
  • Options

<< <i>I might be the only one but here goes...........CONGRATULATIONS BARRY BONDS!!! >>

I second that!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I love how the biggest liar here has the balls to call barry a liar and a cheat!

it may very well be true that barry is a liar and a cheat, but............

Steve

edited for typos as i do not need an english lesson today, especially from a liar and hipocrit. I'd say cheat too but that I can't prove.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonds is a cheater along with ALL the rest of this pitiful generation who juiced. Pitchers should have been allowed to face these a$$holes on the mound with a howitzer.

715 image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Softparade, what about the pitchers that did steroids? Can the batters face them with a howitzer as well ?
  • Options
    There is no denying the fact, he took steroids. You can call them what you want 'the clear' 'flaxseed oil' whatever, the guy admitted it. 715 is a phenomenal accomplishment, but regardless what we say on this post, regardless what the public perception of him is, regardless what he admits/denies/is accused of/etc.......he hit 715. I don't respect him as an honest player, but he did hit 715. Babe Ruth is IMO still the greatest player of all time. Compared to the era he played in and all the other greats played in, he was 10 times the player of anyone in any sport. Better than Jordan, better than Tiger Woods, better than Wayne Gretzky, better than Jerry Rice, and certainly better than Barry Bonds! I don't hate him, I just have no respect for him.
  • Options

<< <i>I love how the biggest liar here has the balls to call barry a liar and a cheat!

it may very well be true that barry is a liar and a cheat, but............

Steve

edited for typos as i do not need an english lesson today, especially from a liar and hipocrit. I'd say cheat too but that I can't prove. >>

WP-

you really need to quit your ranting. The more you post, the more you sound like the whiny little bit*h you really are. Just shut your damned mouth already.

You edited your post, and you still got 'hipocrit' wrong? You're pathetic.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Barry has 715 & 73 because of enhancement. He knows it, we know it, the media knows it, MLB knows it & the fact is, he won't go down in history because of it.

Hank Aaron should be placed higher in history, but he isn't and I don't know why.
  • Options
    Some things about Aaron that I don't think are too commonly known.

He never hit 50 or more in a season, and the most he ever hit in a game was 3, and he did that just once.

I, too, am of the mind that Aaron and his feats are vastly underrated.
  • Options
    BUt he hit 40 HR's 8 times and 30 7 times (two of those were 39) and missed 30 in a season twice hitting 'only' 29.
  • Options

<< <i>Softparade, what about the pitchers that did steroids? Can the batters face them with a howitzer as well ? >>

Fair enough, who are the pitchers?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I don't understand all this hatred directed towards Bonds

I don't understand how anyone can defend this guy. Even the few members of the media that were defending him all along are now changing their tune.

Tainted numbers aside, the guy is an ass. He is a buffoon when it comes to the fans, and that alone is reason to hate the guy.

He is a joke and so is his HR tally.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand all this hatred directed towards Bonds

I don't understand how anyone can defend this guy. Even the few members of the media that were defending him all along are now changing their tune.

Tainted numbers aside, the guy is an ass. He is a buffoon when it comes to the fans, and that alone is reason to hate the guy.

He is a joke and so is his HR tally. >>

I'm not defending the guy. I just don't see why people waste the energy being angry at him. I can't bring myself to "hate" anyone that I don't even know.
  • Options
    If Barry Bonds was not an "ass" as some say, he would not get 10% of the back lash he is getting now. This just goes down to the fact, that people think just because he is a multi millionnaire, from playing a kid's game, he owes something back to baseball or the fans. People only want a Barry Bonds AUTO, so they can sell it and make money, they do not want an AUTO from Barry, so they can put in on their mantle. I applaud Barry for what he has done, and for what he may do, and he even though he is slower at doing it, he is doing it with all the pressure he has on him, not to mention, without legs. If he was on your team, you would not hate him so much, would you?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Treat others like crap and expect the same in return.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Answer me this 1420, if Bonds was only at 400 career hr's would you hate him as much, or how about if Sosa was the one who had 715? Or how about Giambi? McGwire? Will you hate Pujols if it ever comes out that he did some substance? I think you will say no because they are not as much of a jerk and if that is the reason you hate him then fine I respect that, just tell me you dont hate him because of the steroids.
  • Options

I just don't see why people waste the energy being angry at him

because it so fun watching the very small minded few who root for and adore the racist creep get so bent of shape!
  • Options
    1420, you seem to be a respected guy on the boards here but you like to quote me and throw a jab which is fine but why ignore my question and act so pompous? Im not sure who you think you are but come down to earth a bit and answer the question instead of dodging it and throwing out your smart little comments.
  • Options
    There is no need to answer your original question.

Never did I state that steroids had anything to do with my disdain. I merely stated that the only reason anyone needs to hate the guy is quite simple .... because he treats the fans like crap. He always has, and most likely always will.

Stop taking it soooooo personal, which many Bonds fans do, that the guy you admire, respect and root for is a horses ass with a huge noggin that has little respect in the media and with the knowledgable fans.

Feel better?

• Options

<< <i>If Barry Bonds was not an "ass" as some say, he would not get 10% of the back lash he is getting now. This just goes down to the fact, that people think just because he is a multi millionnaire, from playing a kid's game, he owes something back to baseball or the fans. >>

hardcore, why don't you climb back under the hockey goal in which you have come? Not only have you FAILED each and every time you open your trap to get your finger on the pulse of a thread but you double up your mis-reading of threads with NONSENSE. The very fact that you are SO FAR OUT IN LEFT FIELD to think that any of us give a rats fu$king a$$ about the money he makes for playing a kids game has anything to do with negative sentiment is HILARIOUS. Stop dreaming up BULL$HIT and SHUT UP already until you FINALLY bring something ...... ANYTHING ..... to the table with any substance.

Now, to the rest of Bonds apologists out here ..... if for some reason none of you have paid attention to the SHAM that baseball has become with this generation of CHEATS then I strongly suggest all of you take a long hard look back at what this game has become since AT LEAST Brady Anderson juiced to the point that he became a 50+ home run hitter. And yes, this includes the CHEATS of Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield along with all the rest of them. Can't wait till they are all GONE and FORGOTTEN image

• Options

1420 now that you responded I can go to bed now and sleep tight, although you remain a pompous a$$ with once again another one of your little digs. You must have gotten picked on quite a bit as a kid and now that you own a computer and a dictionary you can fight back.
  • Options
    First and foremost, show me where I quoted you jackass ... er dawg.

Second, I truly could care less what you think my childhood was like you whiny little guy you .... er dawg. But if you need to know, I was never really picked on and never really did any picking on. Pretty normal childhood actually ... solid B student, played sports (started in baseball up until HS - had a GW HR once in LL ... pretty cool), was a member of the "in" crowd to an extent, first kiss in third grade, came in second place in a science fair once, had a good singing voice, often was the class clown but was able to mostly get away with stuff, collected cards and usually got the better trade and generally was complimented on my art skills by peers and teachers alike - I was especially adept at drawing the VH logo on notebooks ... come to think of it, I should have charged for those services.

If you want to continue to call me out, feel free. You seem to be easily rattled, and that is something that many find amusing. I know I do. Digs??? where? what did I say? was it my tone? are these questions a "dig"? referring to your boy as a horses ass? was that a personal dig?

Next time, keep me out of your little hissy fits when someone likes myself post their opinions on your friggin hero.