Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out the 1888 V Nickel we won in an arcade game, grade opinions appreciated :)

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
MrsSpud had a conference in Myrtle Beach last week and took me with her for a little vacation image . Down in the Pavilion area they have a bunch of arcades along the boardwalk. We went into one that had a number of old mechanical baseball machines and stuff like that. They also had machines where you put quarters in and little cranes move back and forth sometimes pushing them over the edge (you win the ones that fall over the edge). We played those for a while and avoided the Skeeball and other games that gave out coupons when you win. We figured that the coupons you exchange for prizes were just for the kiddies. That is until we saw that, besides the usual stuffed animals and plastic widgets, they also had coins in 2X2's in some of their prize cases. Most of the coins were low value coins like worn indian head and wheat cents for 500 coupons or Unc. 1964 Kennedies for 1000 coupons and slider Morgans and Peace Dollars for 2000 coupons. But then MrsSpud spotted a decent looking 1888 V Nickel for 1500 coupons. She pointed it out to me and I couldn't believe it, I thought it must be an 1883. But sure enough, it was an 1888. So we started playing the games that gave out coupons.

Most only gave out a few coupons at a time, until we found a rotating quarter machine that pushed coins off the edge of the turntable sometimes when you dropped the coins down a chute. Only it paid off in coupons rather than actual quarters like the other ones with the little cranes. It also had two holes in the turntable that, if you dropped the coin with just the right timing, a plastic scraper would push the coin near or into the hole. You got a jackpot bonus of 100s of coupons if the coin went down the hole. Well, me and MrsSpud figured out the timing thing and won the bonuses several times off all of the machines. About $60 later we left with the V nickel, an aluminum thermos coffee mug, a stuffed cow, a deck of cards and some smartees. image Anybody care to give a grading opinion? Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    xf45
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    VF35, with potentional env. damage...depending on what the gunk in the ear and around the face is.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    uh..."WOW"...nice score to compliment an awesome outing i'm sure...thumbs up too to the concessioneer to for advocating collecting in youngins too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    The gunk around the ear and face appears to be a "tar-like" gunk and not a PVC like gunk. It doesn't look like it will keep growing. I wonder if acetone might be a good idea image
  • Options
    neat score... the local dave and busters has walking liberty halves and franklin halves in one of their machines..... they are all pretty worn, common dates though, believe me I checked...

p.s.

wheres the picture of the stuffed cow!?
  • Options
    I'm going to say that acetone will make your coin look even better. I'm betting that you retain the originality that makes this coin charming as well as getting rid of the "black stuff."

Nice story.

Yellowjacket
  • Options

<< <i>wheres the picture of the stuffed cow!? >>

Here you go! There's also a keychain I forgot to mention and I just found a "bonus" Myrtle Beach Pavilion token stuck in the bottom of the bag image

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    nice coin, its a decent xf45, though the obverse is very strong. I would certainly use an acetone bath to see if the gunk wil dislove. The 88 is a way better date esp in high grade.
  • Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    The cow looks like a high-end AU-58, with just a rub, to me...

Depending on how it is ultimately packaged, it could pass as CU - Cow Uncirculated.

John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    If only every coin in your collection could have an equally entertaining story and represent such quality time.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice XF coin.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat story. I missed this one when it was originally posted.

Mr. Spud, were you able to get the gunk off the coin with acetone? It might still slab anyway (if you wanted to do that).
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It's atleast EF-40 details.

Trends lists this coin in EF-40 for $225. I think you made a very good purchase image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF, and I definitely would hit with Acetone.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might go AU depending on what the bath does.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story and great acquisition.... acetone definitely..... show a picture after you soak it... don't forget the rinse. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    That is great!
    I have so much to learn!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Ummm, i think you paid right. I may have gone to about 1750 tickets but after that i would have passed! image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    vf-30, but frequently (almost always, actuall) overgraded by plastic co's as at least xf

K S
  • Options

<< <i>The cow looks like a high-end AU-58, with just a rub, to me...

Depending on how it is ultimately packaged, it could pass as CU - Cow Uncirculated.

image >>

That utterly ridiculous image
  • Options

<< <i>Mr. Spud, were you able to get the gunk off the coin with acetone? >>

I gave it a soak in acetone and most of the gunk came off, but it left a little shadowy bit of residual gunk in her ear. When I get a chance I'll find the coin and take a picture(we moved since then and everything is either still packed or in the bank safety deposit box, not sure where this one ended up).
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    40 if you get the tar out of the devices. -Dan
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mr. Spud, were you able to get the gunk off the coin with acetone? >>

I gave it a soak in acetone and most of the gunk came off, but it left a little shadowy bit of residual gunk in her ear. When I get a chance I'll find the coin and take a picture(we moved since then and everything is either still packed or in the bank safety deposit box, not sure where this one ended up). >>

Excellent! image
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    What a score!image
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file