Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1984 Donruss - 100% Complete - All PSA 9/10

Wow...........what a ride. Finally nailed the missing 2 cards thanks to a cold-call from a collector in IL. two months ago for the Youngblood and a recent old-fashoned trade with Brent (BigHurt4) for the last one needed - Mike Fitzgerald.

Gotta tell ya that this set has been a blast to build. It's my first attempt at a registry set and the only set focused on in graded form. From $2 each psa 9 lot purchases to start it, to rummaging through wax boxes, factory sets, hand-built set, common lots, etc. for submissions, trading and buying already slabbed cards from fellow collectors and dealers, I've scoured for over 2 years trying to bring this 660 card set together. Some of it has been in uncharted waters - I think there were still 20 to 30 cards that hadn't seen a submission when I started, with not a lot of zeros in the '10' column. If memory serves me correctly I think there were about 8-9K total graded at that point. Now we're approaching 22K!

While this is a very satisfying achievement, I'm most proud of the quality of cards assembled. It's always been a work-in-progress as I continually update and upgrade where warranted. There are 9's here that will knock the socks of many a 10, so while the 9.24 GPA is not earth shattering, the overall quality of the set is very high in my opinion on a card per card basis - and I will continue to put quality cards in the set when possible. I also didn't break the bank either. I paid aggressively when called for but for the most part just waited and created opportunities to acquire the necessary cards. Persistant - oh yes. Throwing money at it - uh no.

Another very satisfying outcome of this card issue is the amount of 84D set collectors and noted publicity that have come about. When I first started there were about 6 or so, with Dom waaaaay out in front (currently #3 on the registry). Now there are about 20 in varying degrees of completeness, with Arny in the lofty 95% range, Robert with his simply mind boggling all-PSA 10 set at 70+%, Brent and Al in the top 5, etc. The 84D 'thread' has over 700 responses (yeah, I know I have a LOT of them) but it's a great group and one I'm proud to be associated with.

Before I forget, one small note about Dom......it was Dom Furera (sp?) who was light-years ahead of everyone in 84D 3+ years ago. He was the one who pushed me over the top go for it. I hesitated for awhile, but if it weren't for Dom's blazing trail and exchanges of email, I'm not positive I'd be here. Suffice to say if he were with us today (he died a few years ago) his set would have been completed long before mine. He was at 80+ % when I started. So, hat's off to ya Dom for being the 'pioneer' of the 84D registry set!

Well, next on the list is to complete the Master set. I need 4 cards to do that and a just-sent submission may take care of it......we'll see!

Take care and thanks to all who helped along the way.............Bill

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill, WOW is all I can say!!!! Cheers to a GREAT and DEDICATED job imageimageimageimage

I am just entering into the road you traveled. Is it weird that my actual last name is Youngblood?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Bill, that is fantastic to hear!
    Gotta admire your persistence in finishing this set.

Congrats!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding job!image

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Good on ya man!!! I know I emailed you some possibles on the fitsgerald and schmidt DK, they were too OC for submission. I am tempted to go down the road you just paved, I'm hesitant, yet very, very tempted. I've got some of the stars already, would need to work on the commons. I know that will be the toughest part. Contrats, I'm sitting here having a beer, hear's to ya man!!!!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    very impressive!..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gotta tell ya that this set has been a blast to build. It's my first attempt at a registry set and the only set focused on in graded form >>

BILL - I hear the 2nd go around is even easier image
    J/K Great Job!
  • Options
    Wow! nice job man...

hockeybonkers@yahoo.ca
  • Options
    Bighurt4Bighurt4 Posts: 384
    Great job Bill and good luck on your next one.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Bill ! That is one very nice set & really a great accomplishment.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bill, WOW is all I can say!!!! Cheers to a GREAT and DEDICATED job imageimageimageimage

I am just entering into the road you traveled. Is it weird that my actual last name is Youngblood?

image >>

Is this you?

BOTR congrats on the set, love reading the 84 Donruss thread!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    great job and congratulations.

btw, i sent in 2 STEELE cards for you last week (between your sub and mine, hopefully something will pan out for your master set), they have been entered and i'm patiently waiting...LOL

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Bill ! Beers to your set !image

PS- Did you get the Brett Ok ??

• Options
    coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    Bill
    Congrats on a great accomplishment. image

Now, do you plan on updating to all 10's?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    A big image.............on a great accomplishment.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    you da man
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Congratulations! Always good to see someone complete a project.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'll tell you, Bill sure jumped onto the scene a couple of years ago with the '84 Donruss set. I had just passed Dom for first overall about two years ago and then about a week later we had a new #1!

Bill, congratulations! Believe me, I know what the journey has been like (hope to meet you at 100% in a couple of months)....but, you have constantly pushed us to continue our sets and motivated us to stay interested in it even during times that some of us were not as active as others.

The best set of the 80s now has it's first 100%! Quite an accomplishment!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Bill

I know how long you worked for this day.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stellar work on a beauty of a set.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Bill. As you've said this was your pride and joy...plus having the discipline to finish off only one set without even considering starting another is what really is amazing....I wish I could do the same....be talking with you soon.....
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    way to go bill! you have brought our set to center stage first getting our own thread going and then the article in smr.
    Bob
  • Options
    Bill,
    Congratulations. You have paved the way for all others.
    It's a landmark achievement.
    Where to next?
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    marzmarz Posts: 1,601
    everyone loved this set when it came out! great work and glad you had fun building it!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    Hmmmm... so a trailblazing guy named Dom was rocking and rolling, putting together a wonderful '84 Donruss set. He seemed untouchable. He was enjoying himself in the prime of his life when he mysteriously passes on... making YOU the new king.

I think an investigation is in order.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments guys.........I really appreciate it and hope the 84D train continues to roll as there's a great group of guys having fun with it.

LD, thanks for thinking of me with those Steeles. I've seen my share of O/C Steel versions, but these pale in comparison to the 95% of tilted/diamond cut Steele's found in factory sets. Before the Master set was introduced I really didn't care about which DK issue was harder to find mint. Now it's becoming apparent that the corrected version (Steele) is tougher than the Steel's.

Arny, you're so close.......keep on pluggin away when you can!

Ray, I have no idea what I'll build next but I seriously doubt it will be a big set. Problem is, there's much I like and much to chose from. Dilemma
    indeed. Mid-80's absolute killer raws sets are not out of the question either (and these could be graded at a later time.........hmmmmm image

• Options
    Added 5 cards to my set and am now sitting at a little over 95% complete on my basic and nearly 93.5% complete on the master set! image

Got that tough Doran card along with toughies of Soto, Flanagan, Brouhard & Larry Parrish DK in 9 (upgrading my 8). image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Here's a list of cards that I need to complete my basic set in case anyone has any floating around out there.....

8 - D.Dravecky DK
    129 - B.Blyleven
    170 - R.Manning
    187 - G.Minton
    209 - B.Ramos
    217 - M.Armstrong
    224 - C.Bando
    228 - J.Lowenstein
    230 - D.Decinces
    234 - J.Bonilla
    238 - K.Hernandez
    435 - E.Nunez
    437 - E.Whitt
    442 - W.Brusstar
    456 - E.Cabell
    471 - M.Wilcox
    472 - T.Martinez
    480 - J.Youngblood
    481 - J.Slaton
    482 - M.Fitzgerald
    535 - B.Horner
    537 - C.Chambliss
    544 - D.Darwin
    550 - T.Hume
    554 - R.Staub
    557 - D.Henderson
    558 - L.Whitehouse
    575 - M.Trillo
    582 - D.Spillner
    590 - B.Anderson
    597 - L.Sanchez
    605 - A.Griffin

.....any help would be appreciated. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    arny,
    are you looking for 9s and 10s or only 10s for your master/basic sets?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I'm looking for 9s or 10s. I've got more than a 1/3 of the set in 10s, so I'd prefer them, but 9s will do just fine! image

DOH! Just realized that I posted this on Bills celebration thread and not the regular '84 Donruss thread. Sorry Bill. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards