Home U.S. Coin Forum

What would you charge for a 30k consignment you took on?

I know of someone who turned down $ 1000 to sell a 30k coin for them.... What is the normal cut?

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normal cut's usually around 10-15%... it's all relative. I'd be happy to make $1k, but that is just 3.3% of $30k...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Isnt the going rate somewhere around 10%?? I think $1000 is WAY more than fair.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
  • I'm %5 unless you are a client of mine with previous business...
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    1000 bucks to spend 20 minutes shipping off a coin? What's that come out to, about $3,000/hr. Not a bad hourly wage, even by today's standards.image
    Seriously though, I know it's not that "cut and dry" and I agree that a dealer's reputation, time, efforts, and developed clientele base is certainly worthy of a nominal and a previously agreed upon fee.
    Every now and then you'll find a dealer that sells an expensive coin from a client to a buyer and receives nothing more than sincere gratitude for his unsurpassed knowledge and much appreciated patience.imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Considering it was one coin.. I would be grateful to receive $1000 for selling it. I'd even do it for $500!
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I am not a dealer so I don't know what I would charge. But I would expect to pay $1500-$2000 for a 30K coin I consigned to a dealer.
  • Most coin auction houses will pay you to sell a $30,000.00 coin. After all, they will make close to $4,500 commission from the seller. With these types of coins the seller is in command and can designate his/her own terms !
  • Mistyped--$4,500.00 from the buyer !
  • 10% because of the risk (liability) on your part. 1 or 1000 coins makes no difference.
    Joe
    CONECA #N-3446
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was cash in C-notes $1,000 would be fair to me. Then again I don't think I would be running those kinds of funds thru my personal accounts.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Maybe the guy just didn't think he could sell the coin. Without knowing the whole story it's hard to judge whether the guy was being reasonable or greedy.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    10% plus costs.

David

• << <i>1000 bucks to spend 20 minutes shipping off a coin? What's that come out to, about $3,000/hr. Not a bad hourly wage, even by today's standards.image
    Seriously though, I know it's not that "cut and dry" and I agree that a dealer's reputation, time, efforts, and developed clientele base is certainly worthy of a nominal and a previously agreed upon fee.
    Every now and then you'll find a dealer that sells an expensive coin from a client to a buyer that receives nothing more than sincere gratitude for his unsurpassed knowledge and much appreciated patience.imageimage >>

A-rod makes 45k per at bat.
    Do you think he earns it.

A couple of team have thought so.

Your post seems to imply that a sales job isn't worth what is earned.

Sales make the world go around.

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would you charge for a 30k consignment you took on? >>

Depends on the number of coins. For instance, if it were just one coin worth $30K, I'd charge 2% since the actual work involved in the consignment is almost trivial. On the other hand, if it were 1,000 coins worth a total of $30K, I'd chage 20% since there is FAR more work involved.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    it all depends of course.

if i could only fetch 23,000 on my own via personal contacts...

and the dealer can fetch 30,000 through his contacts...

i would, with a quickness, decide to give him a heck of a cut.

think 10% easy.
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    In today's market, I could probably sell it in about 30 seconds for a $500 commission. image

Seriously, it all depends on the coin and the experience of the dealer. I like the Piccaso analogy below. If you go to a doctor or a lawyer and they "cure" you or your situation in 5 minutes because of their experience (when it would have taken a hack two weeks or months to do the same thing), you should be willing to pay for the benefit of using the experience, not for the fact that it took 5 minutes to do.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • One K is a fair commish--I'd suggest trying to sell it yourself at a major show or auction--you can leave $1K on the table and still break even!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file