Home Stamps Forum
Options

stamp market

Just got a newsletter talking about changes in the stamp hobby and the prices. It mentioned that on the front page of a recent Linn's where a US #230, a $50 cat value stamp, sold for around $2200 and wasn't even a jumbo. It discusses how stamp grading has taken off and driven prices up for quality material. It is creating a wider gap in the pricing spread between low, middle, and top grades and compares it to TPG coin certification. It also mentions, which has been mentioned by someone in another thread, as to how auction houses are now selling items 10 to 50 times greater than catalog. I have noticed this too as I can rarely win anything and prices realized are like moon money. I just received my latest Superior-Regency auction catalog, and they have a few pages of graded stamps. Many are $2-$3 cat value stamps, but their estimated bids are $100.

For you encapsulated stamp guys out there; how do you store these slabs? Is there a box like the NGC or PCGS plastic boxes for coins? When you submit 20 or so stamps for grading encapsulation; do they send them back in a plastic box?

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if anyone has started manufacturing any supplies for this type of new collecting they could make a killing right now. Wayne Shuetz who collects his stamps encapsulated traded me for a stamp of mine he needed. It arrived in a small bag the size of the slab with a piece of black cardboard/construction paper behind the capsule to highlight the stamp from the back. I still collect my graded in SAFE black stockcards with paper certs but am debating whether I will start having future stamps encapsulated. I really like having the stamps out to look at but there is always the chance of damage with such fragile and potentially high value stamps. Wayne was going to bid on a non-encapsulated 325 or 6 (can't remember) in the grade of 98 in a recent big auction. The auctioneer damaged the stamp slightly when handling for auction preparation. It was re-submitted and downgraded to a 95! I really hate the thought of not being able to my stamps in my album though. I have had some ideas for how to make an album that would hold capsule, of course I do not have the resources to bring such an idea(s) to fruition. If you can get Wayne's email address he may be able to help you out on info for the encapsulated stuff.
    On bidding at auction, I never do, I just look for good deals on un graded stamps that have potential for high grades and return whatever is not accurately described(about 80 to 90%) The 612 I bought from Princeton Philatelics 3 years ago for around $100 and I had graded (got a 98) sold recently at auction for over $1000. Of course now everyone is catching on and the smell of large amonts of money to be made drift far and quickly. This is why I rarely buy un-graded material from dealers. I buy from anyone and anywhere BUT. Just about a week ago I bought a jumbo used #376 for close to $60 from a dealer on Ebay. On receiving the stamp I noticed one of the perf had the surface peeled back and thus this created a perf thin. I wrote him with no response back until he sent a Paypal refund. "Stamp is 100% sound!" It always is when you're selling! If I would have had this graded it would have been no higher than an 85-J hardly worth PSE's new pre #405 $25.00 fee rule. This happens all of the time. About one in very 10 stamps I buy have some defect. The 1/10 sound stamps I keep are worth it though.
    If you have deep pockets I guess big graded auctions are the way to go but some of the stuff will take a few years to catch up with real world value as compared to auction prices.
  • Options
    I'm still trying to get a submission together! It just ain't as easy as I thought. So, I don't know
  • Options
    IT TAKES ME ABOUT 3 MONTHS OF EXAMINING RE-EXAMINING AND RE-RE-EXAMINING TO GET 10 TO 20 STAMPS TOGETHER . I ALWAYS GET BACK AT LEAST ONE OR TWO STAMPS WITH SOME PROBLEM OR AN UNUSUALLY LOW GRADE. THE LOWEST GRADE I ACCEPT IS AN 85 AND ANYTHING LOWER WILL JUST GET A CERT. IT'S INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT SEVERAL DEALERS I HAVE ENCOUNTERED HAVE NOT FIGURED OUT THAT THEY COULD PUT A "MINIMUN GRADE" HIGHER THAN THEY WOULD EXPECT ON A SPECIFIC STAMP ON THERE SUBMISSION FORMS FOR GRADED STAMPS SO THEY CAN GET CERTS ON STAMPS THAT THEY DO NOT WISH A GRADE ON WITHOUT HAVING TO SUBMIT A SEPERATE FORM FOR UNGRADED STAMPS! I DO THIS TO AVOID AN ADDITIONAL PSE MANDATORY REGISTERED MAIL SHIPPING FEE FOR A SEPEARTE FORM. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I LIKE ABOUT SUBMITTING TO APEX IS THAT YOU CAN SEND A SASE OR MINT POSTAGE (SUCH AS POSTAGE THAT MOST COLLECTORS HAVE LYING AROUND) SO THAT YOU DON'T LOSE SO MUCH IN THE SHIPPING COST IN AN ALREADY COSTLY PROCESS.
  • Options

<< <i>I Wayne was going to bid on a non-encapsulated 325 or 6 (can't remember) in the grade of 98 in a recent big auction. The auctioneer damaged the stamp slightly when handling for auction preparation. It was re-submitted and downgraded to a 95! I really hate the thought of not being able to my stamps in my album though. I have had some ideas for how to make an album that would hold capsule, of course I do not have the resources to bring such an idea(s) to fruition. If you can get Wayne's email address he may be able to help you out on info for the encapsulated stuff.
    On bidding at auction, I never do, I just look for good deals on un graded stamps that have potential for high grades and return whatever is not accurately described(about 80 to 90%) The 612 I bought from Princeton Philatelics 3 years ago for around $100 and I had graded (got a 98) sold recently at auction for over $1000. >>

Hi, and thanks for sharing this info.

If I take 10 -98 graded stamps to a dealer and the same stamps graded 85 I should obviously get the better return on the higher grade lot.
    Do most dealers acknowledge the value of graded stamps?
    Or ist again supply and demand ? Oversupply of the low grades versus seldom offered high grades ?

Does it make selling easier if you were to know your graded 98 encapsulated stamps should fetch $12 000 and not accept $8000 (unless you are prepared to take less) ?
    On the other hand a dealer of repute could say, thats it graded 98 for $X. You buy it, go across to the other dealer and because of demand buy at $X + $X for his customer.

What has changed in supply and demand, now that an item is labled, scrutinized, certified & graded !? Is it the knowledge that, when sell you should get your pound of flesh and not get fleeced ?!

Are encapsulated stamps tamper proof ?

Any stamp so certified needs confirmation of authenticity and even then could have been tampered with. Even old certification can come into question.

Not as easy as selling gold by confirmed weight per $.

Erich

to be fiton a sale of thesds
    Offer quality British Africa, Commonwealth, Africa philatelic material.
  • Options
    First of all,right now there is much more demand than there is supply.Look at the population report and look at the 98 colunm and above for early stamps. If you happen to have 10 98"s of one specific stamp that is pre 1930's then you are incredibly lucky wealthy or both. I imagine you have not submitted any stamps for grading(which by the way also confirms the identity and authenticity of the stamp also) to get 10 98's of the same Scott# would be very difficult unless you are talking about imperforate issues which are easy to cut with big margins from a sheet or block. Whether there are more 85's or 98's really has nothing to do with value. The higher grade will ALWAYS be worth more. People do not submit stamps to get LOW grades and really depends on how many people who know what will get a good grade,submit stamps.It would be nearly impossible to tamper with a capsule and if you had a high grade why would you want to? I suppose you could make a fake cert but you would have to have a very nice looking stamp to convince someone it was a high grade if it really wasn't. Besides the cert # would have to be valid. Is it easier to sell a graded stamp for a set price that you know it's worth ? You better believe it! Dealers have buy prices all over for graded stamps because they know they can sell them for way more than they're paying you.Of course I can't explain all of my theories on graded stamps but I hope the above tells you a bit.
  • Options
    Anybody see the new SMQ yet? It's hard to tell when the new one will be out.
  • Options
    Anyone who gets the NEW SMQ let us know what kind of big changes there are, Ihate having to wait so long in between issues... c'mon July 20th.....................
  • Options
    SMQ Update:

The SMQ went to the printer today, so we are expecting delivery either at the end of this week, or early next week. In view of the Scarsdale, Killien and other auction results, prices are broadly higher. There is a long market commentary in the front as well. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, quite a bit of color in the book.

As a little preview, I'm posting the Columbians at the following URL: http://members.cox.net/ms55c/Cols.jpg

This should give you all some idea of the size and scope of the increases. Not all areas were equally changed - coil singles and pairs will have to wait till next issue - but most 19th and early 20th century stuff is up.

Mike
    Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options

Thanks Mike. How do you get the SMQ?

Here's the link Mike put up

link

It's a little difficult to make out, but you can read it.

Jerry
  • Options
    Jerry,

People who've submitted stamps to PSE in the last year or so are sent a complimentary copy. We also give them out at shows we attend. Our next show will be the APS show in Chicago next month. Occasionally, we also run promotions in Linns offering free copies. Finally, the data will be put online in the Price Guide section when the new issue arrives here.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    Michael Sherman
    Director of Numismatics
    PCGS
  • Options
    At the Washington DC International stamp show last month, the American Stamp Dealers Association [ASDA] launched a new stamp magazine; “The American Stamp Dealer”

In that inaugural issue [50,000 were distributed Free at the show], I authored an article titled “Third-party Stamp Grading and The Marketplace”. I have posted a copy of this informative article on my website- gradedstamps.com. Read Article Adobe pdf reader is necessary.

Additionally, at the show in DC, The editor of Scott Stamp Monthly asked me to write another article on Third-party stamp grading to be published in Scott Stamp Monthly, later this year.

Collector interest and marketplace acceptance of PSE Graded Stamps is rapidly becoming increasingly widespread. I have many clients who will no longer buy a US stamp unless it is PSE graded. It’s no surprise to me that PSE grading submissions are up 71%. I say, welcome to the party!

If you are not familiar with my business and website -- gradedstamps.com, I invite your visit. I sell ONLY PSE Graded stamps and am currently offering almost 1,000 PSE Graded items, including nearly 200 PSE Encapsulated items. I’m pretty sure you’ll find my site very easy to use. I pride myself on fair pricing, clear and factual descriptions and a FULL Customer Satisfaction Guarantee, not to mention TRULY outstanding Service.

Please check out VALUE TRACKER a gradedstamps.com exclusive feature. With three years of PSE Graded stamp Sales History, you can easily research Sales Price history, color scans and other details of many Stamps, by catalog number. Best of all, I offer this as a FREE service to all website visitors.

I welcome comments or suggestions and will be pleased to answer any questions.

Steve Crippe
    gradedstamps.com
    Steve Crippe
    Managing Director - Rare Stamp Department
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    This is great! It really is. For awhile...about 6 months ago there was no use even coming to this forum. It was being used and abused by members from other forums. It's just so nice to see someone like you...and the others who have started posting here recently...show up. It puts more umph to the forum. Thanks Steve and yes, already been on your sight!

Jerry
  • Options
    Go Steve!
  • Options
    RG58RG58 Posts: 119
  • Options
    RG58RG58 Posts: 119
    Nice to see the board ALIVE-- only took about 3 years for some posting...

I like to see the optimism for US stamps as a hobby. Rising prices for high end stuff is cautiously optimistic. I actually think it may be more of a sign of dealers accepting the new form of collecting graded items only. Dealers are taking up positions and stocking their inventory because they are banking that collectors will only buy graded itmes in the future (like BB cards). Most are aware that coins and baseball cards have lead the charge in the transition and perhaps its time for stamps to catch up. I am a little worried for stamps, however, compared to coins and cards b/c of a lack of young collectors. I will be honest, I am unaware of any stamp collector under the age of 40 other than myself. This is a problem. What will happen in 20 years when all the stamp collectors are dead? Who will buy a 10,000$ stamp?

Young collectors are more interested in sports cards, memorabilia, and coins. My feeling is that as the 20-40 yr olds accumulate wealth over the next 20 years, money will continue to support the sports stuff and coins, but less and less of the pie will support the stamp hobby. I wish there was a way to build interest in the hobby as collecting stamps is much more challenging than all the other hobbies.
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak to the lack of younger collectors with any great authority, but I sense it is true. I went to a stamp/coins show this weekend. The coin show upstairs had upwards of 50 dealers. The stamp show downstairs may have had 8 or 10 tables set up. I was chatting with one of the dealers, describing my inheritance, and asking if they knew of any stamp clubs in the area, and you should have seen this woman's face light up. The husband took my business card and said he'd check around and call me back. I would not have imagined such enthusiasm over the potential of introducing some new blood to the hobby.

Turns out there is a local club that meets twice a month at a public library, which I find interesting and somewhat at odds with a lack of interest in the hobby.
  • Options
    It is true that there is not many younger collectors right now BUT once the lure of money/investment potential gets out to the general public, we might be pleasantly surprised how many new people might become interested. And since the general public usually don't see Columbians, Trans-mississippi stamps etc, maybe then the things that make us all enjoy stamp collecting will rub off on them and they will be bitten by the bug. Not too far-fetched IMO.