Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official Tigers Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Why would these players sign long term deals for discounts when they know they can make real money on the open market?

Of course tigers management would love to sign these guys, but its just not going to happen. Look at the A's, and how they had to let Tejada go, because they couldn't sign him and Chavez both.

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    As far as signing players long-term... for the most part, I am opposed to it. Baseball economics (and especially player agents) make it difficult to do certain things, and one of those is to try to delay free agency, another is trying to keep the same team core together for 5 or more years, which is nearly impossible unless you're willing to grossly overpay.

Trying to delay free agency is a risky proposition and could wind up being excessively expensive. Take a guy like Verlander - he's under the Tigers control for the next 5 seasons. The Tigers will be able to pay him basically whatever they want, he'll get a shot at arbitration eventually, but either way, he'll still belong to the Tigers. To try to tie him up for the next 6 years, at this point in his career doesn't make any sense. If he gets injured, he now has a guaranteed contract that we're stuck with. If he pitches great and his contract is paying him way below his market value at the time he would have been eligible for arbitration or free agency, he's likely to be unhappy.

Another example - Brandon Inge, who is going to be eligible for free agency (I believe) after next season and currently has a 1 year contract through the end of this year, would be someone who I would want to try to sign for the next 3 seasons. He's become a excellent gutsy player, he's charasmatic and I'm guessing that goes a long way in the clubhouse, the Tigers do not have any MLB ready 3B in the minors - it's a logical move to want to keep a guy like that. Of course, if they take the risk of trying to sign him into his free agency years and can't come to terms, they will upset him, in which case, he'll walk for sure when he's eligible.

If baseball contracts were not guaranteed, as most football contracts are, I'd be all for signing players to longer deals, but the way things are now, it just doesn't make sense to tie your hands for more than 2, maybe 3 years.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Why would these players sign long term deals for discounts when they know they can make real money on the open market?

What makes you think it would be for discounts?

If i remm correctly the Indians gave those guys big dollars in the beginning of a players career when the did not have too.

Players that earn just above the min, would get 1mil etc, and the security. you can't have it both ways.

of course the management would have to make it worth the players while.

I think Josh hit the nail on the head. The management might be shy in giving long term contracts.

It did work when Cleveland did it they had a core of young players for a while and were among the best in baseball those days. Teams have options and can compete under the current system if creative.

Why would players take it when they could get market rates later? well you just answered the million dollar question on why the players do not want any sort of cap! They want to make the most money when they can.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Nice to see Shelton come through a little over the weekend. I really hope he can sustain.

2 of 3 from Pittsburgh went well... aside from a bullpen blow-up and a few errors over the weekend, this team is still great.

If we take 4 of 6 from Oakland & Seattle, we could go into the break with 60 wins!!! Holy crap... it would take an atomic size melt-down to miss the playoffs with 60 wins at the break.

• Options
    59-29 at the break - Fantastic

Too bad Chicago keeps winning... only a 2 game lead

Yankees better pick up the pace if they even want to smell the playoffs because only one of those eastern teams are making it.

• Options
    I noticed the Tigers were in a slump as of late. the paper had them at 7 and 3 for the last 10 games............image

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed the Tigers were in a slump as of late. the paper had them at 7 and 3 for the last 10 games............image

Steve >>

They may have had what you call a slump, but if you look at the other teams in the division, they also slumped.

The Tigers are still looking good, they can pitch for a win, and other times, slug it out for a win. It remains to be seen, what they do by the trade deadline, but their main players are playing the role well, the role players step up and perform when they go in, and with the exception of a few stupid plays, their defense it still strong. Any chance Mike Henneman will come out of retirement? Never remember him causing me to bite my nails in the latter innings the way Jones and Rodney do. There are going to be some interesting decisions when Mike Maroth is cleared to pitch again. Seems as if they are leaning towards a 6 man rotation, which I think would be smart, would save Verlander's arm for a few games, Miner can stay up, no way can he be sent down because he has been utterly dominant for the most part. Bonderman, in his last 7 starts, has not allowed more than 2 runs in any appearance, talk about taking the next step, regardless of whether his record speaks of it. He should have another 4 or 5 wins. All they need is a big left hand stick in the line up, but what I hear on the radio here is that the man to fill that role is going to be Dmitri Young!

I did hear a good joke on the radio a few weeks ago.........The Tigers in 2006 are playing so well, and the only one who has choked so far has been Dmitri Young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Geez - poor Kansas City Royals fans - what an awful team

But it sure is nice being able to take advantage of a weaker opponent to boost our position in the division standings. If we can somehow build it up to about 6 games, I can't see Chicago catching us for first - which would be huge, because they'd be pitted against east winner while we play one of the pathetic teams from the west.
  • Options
    Hardcore it was a joke.................

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Is it just me or anyone else notice the Tigers are running away with the division?

And anyone else notice the White Sox are on the verge of blowing their wildcard spot?

Wild game tonight at Cleveland - but, a win is a win, even if it is ugly. And ugly it was when Rodney came in there, 2 unintentional hit batters in the same inning.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me or anyone else notice the Tigers are running away with the division?

And anyone else notice the White Sox are on the verge of blowing their wildcard spot?

Wild game tonight at Cleveland - but, a win is a win, even if it is ugly. And ugly it was when Rodney came in there, 2 unintentional hit batters in the same inning. >>

I have noticed, but ESPN thinks it is much more important to analyze A-Rod's mental state in fielding a grounder!

Ozzie Guillen is on the verge of losing his team!

Tigers seem to be able to slug out a win, or pitch for a win, the ROAR is restored........................and I do not mean the Lions, they still suck!!

Edited to add.........I find it odd that the Tigers are the first team in 115 years to score at least 5 runs in the first inning in three straight games!
  • Options
    I think that the White Sox are going to catch the Tigers. Kinks in the Tigers armor is starting to show. 162 games is a long season with almost 50 games to go. The dog days of August are here.
  • Options
    Well, after what seemed like a sure melt-down, the Tigers are currently on their way (11-2 over KC in the 7th) to clinching their post-season spot and finishing off the White Sox season.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out with the Twins for the division win and the wildcard. I'd say we have a huge advantage since we have 3 more against KC and 3 against Toronto.

Sure will be sweet if we can make a nice run. I'm not convinced there is any one team in the entire playoffs that will be a heavy favorite to win any series, even the Yankees if they face us or the Twins.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the Tigers chances for the division. The fact that they hold the tiebreaker over the Twins is huge. If the Tigers can go 3-3 in their remaining 6 games, the Twins have to go 6-1 to win the division.

I think it will be interesting to see how both teams attempt to line up their rotations for the playoffs. The Twins obviously want Santana to be available for 2 games in a 5 game series. If the division is still on the line on the last day of the season and Santana's available, do you use him and then only have him available for 1 game?

The Tigers situation is similar but different. I'm not even sure what their rotation should be. Right now, I have the most confidence in Rogers, but Rod Allen (Tigers commentator) keeps saying that you need power pitching in the playoffs (not sure I agree). After that, Verlander, Bonderman, and Robertson are all interchangable as far as I'm concerned. Quite frankly, right now I have more faith in Robertson to throw a good game than the other two.

Anyway, despite last night's happenings in East Lansing, this has been a terrific weekend for me. I am in a great mood!
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Sure will be sweet if we can make a nice run. I'm not convinced there is any one team in the entire playoffs that will be a heavy favorite to win any series, even the Yankees if they face us or the Twins. >>

Note to Jim Leyland .... DO NOT start Kenny Rogers in ANY game vs the Yankees.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Thank God for the Royals.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to the Detroit Tigers -- in the post-season for the first time since 1987!! image
  • Options
    This year was exciting, it has been a long time! Go Tigers!
  • Options
    do they realize they still need to win one more game?
  • Options
    I think they are hoping to play the Spankees the first round since Oakland has much better pitching.
  • Options
    i guess so, but it makes the locals mad when they throw a game.
  • Options
    Tiger lost again.
    Twins still have shot at the division, just need some help from KC
  • Options

My Tigers got trounced (sic?) tonight.

However, even if the Tigers lose and the Twins lose,
    Detroit wins the tie-breaker. Of course, this is assuming
    both teams are going to lose tomorrow.

Ok folks, place your bets (or predictions) now!

Being a Tigers fan, I have to say, I think it is going to
    end in a tie. I think the TIGERS and the TWINS will
    win tomorrow.

Ok all......JUMP IN!

Tony
    aka KalineFan
  • Options
    I think the Tigers will win tomorrow. I can't see them losing 3 straight to KC. So like you said even if the Twins win, the Tigers will win the division via the tiebreaker rules.
  • Options
    Even though I don't like it, I agree, tigers and twins will win today.
  • Options
    Like I said, thank God for the Royals.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Getting swept by the Royals at home on the final weekend is a good way to demonstrate you don't deserve a division title.
  • Options

<< <i> I find it odd that the Tigers are the first team in 115 years to score at least 5 runs in the first inning in three straight games! >>

Do you find it odd that the Tigers were the victims of the first team in history to take over first place ..... for the first time ...... on the last day of the season? Nah ............. haven't seen ya run your toliet seat for months now ... image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

After watching, listening being on-line with the Tigers game today,
    I have come to one single conclusion:

The Tigers will never make it to the World Series....I think their
    pitching is atrocious at best.

Plenty of run support, but no decent pitching recovery from anyone.
    On the other hand, why did Kenny Rogers replace Jones? I did not
    understand that move at all!

Living in Minnesota, I also root for the Twins. They probably have
    the best pitching staff in the American League. I think they will
    go far.

My hat is off to the Twins, but, boy it sure does hurt my beloved
    Tigers to lose on the last day of the season. ARGGGG!

Tony
    aka KalineFan
  • Options
    It's official, the Tigers are the first ever 95 game winner that truly deserves the title of "fluke".

The reality of the situation is that this team doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning a series with the Yankees, Twins or A's. Heck, they'll be lucky to win a single game against NY.

The team has overachieved all season, first with the bats, then the pitching, then nothing worked together towards the end... it's been exciting to see some wins along the way.
  • Options
    We had a major meltdown that is tough to take after a great first half of the season. Try to remember the good days when we swept the Cardinals and the Astros back to back, took it to the Twins early on
    (for the first time-all I can remember is getting clobbered by those guys going way back to the 80's) and basically had the best pitching around. We can look to the future which should be bright. Plus we still have the '84 Tigers and of course the '68 Tigers for some sweet memories if we need them-and right now we do! If the Tigers can't beat the Yankees maybe someone else will.
  • Options
    I am blessed enough to have tickets to the Tiger playoff games this year. It's kind of interesting, I am infinitely more fired up to go see the Tigers play the Yankees on a Friday night than I ever would have been to go see the Tigers play the A's at 1:00 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. Now granted, the Tigers needed to win one in NY to make me feel this way, but now that collapse at the end doesn't look so bad. I'm not saying I'm confident they'll win, I'm just saying the atmosphere tomorrow at Comerica is going to be fantastic, and I can't even imagine what it will be like on Saturday if the Tigers somehow win on Friday.
  • Options
    Enjoy the games at Comerica, here's hoping the Tigers can win two in a row. Wouldn't that be something?
    The Yankees are a great team, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I can't believe we won today. Let's hope for more of the same Friday.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's official, the Tigers are the first ever 95 game winner that truly deserves the title of "fluke".

The reality of the situation is that this team doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning a series with the Yankees, Twins or A's. Heck, they'll be lucky to win a single game against NY.

The team has overachieved all season, first with the bats, then the pitching, then nothing worked together towards the end... it's been exciting to see some wins along the way. >>

Chill out!!! Every Team that made the play offs had a dry spell simalar to the Tigers however thiers looked bad because it was during the last 50 games.What was Minnesota after thier first 50 games????? What happened to the Cards and Padres during the season????
    Mets & Yanks had there dry spells also.HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dodgers were under 500 at a point also with some bad stretches.Thurs Score Tigers 4 Yanks 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    All I can say is wow! Rogers had some great stuff tonight. Hearing Ernie Harwell call a few innings on 97.3
    while watching ESPN (and temporarily turning off their announcers) was cool and brought back some memories. Good stuff and a great game against a great team.
  • Options
    GREAT performance by Rogers. Very impressive. Unfortunately .....

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>GREAT performance by Rogers. Very impressive. Unfortunately ..... >>

What a masterful performance by Kenny Rogers. I agree with you Dan-- it wouldn't have mattered if the Yanks had a $500 mil. payroll, NOBODY was going to hit Rogers tonight the way he was painting the corners. Truly a once in a lifetime performance.

But now we turn to tomorrow. What's going to happen? I'm inclined to give the edge to Bonderman, except that he's such a pinhead. And Wright, IMO, is underrated. One thing I do know, though, is that I don't want to see the Bengals back in Yankee Stadium on Mon. against Wang.
  • Options
    <<One thing I do know, though, is that I don't want to see the Bengals back in Yankee Stadium on Mon. against Wang.>>

Sunday night, 7:30 PM
  • Options
    Just walked in the door from the game. It was an awesome atmosphere and a lot of fun. I went with my brother which was sweet. Tomorrow's going to be even better, hopefully it will be a good game. If the Tigers win, it's going to be pandemonium.
  • Options

<< <i>Just walked in the door from the game. It was an awesome atmosphere and a lot of fun. I went with my brother which was sweet. Tomorrow's going to be even better, hopefully it will be a good game. If the Tigers win, it's going to be pandemonium. >>

My father is right with you guys .... he is a Tiger fan since the mid 40's ...... at this moment the only thing making this bearable

• Options

<< <i>Just walked in the door from the game. It was an awesome atmosphere and a lot of fun. I went with my brother which was sweet. Tomorrow's going to be even better, hopefully it will be a good game. If the Tigers win, it's going to be pandemonium. >>

If the Tigs win tomorrow the 'D' will blow it's top . I was in the bowling alley tonight and it was just crazy- nobody gave a damn how they were bowling. The high game in the second game was 248, which just never happens in this league. I was talking to one guy and he said 'Screw bowling. I can do this every Friday. This"-- and he pointed to the TV-"Only happens once every 19 years."

I am personally going to beat on Bonderman's kidneys with a big stick if he doesn't put in at least a servicable performance tomorrow. They kept panning to him in the dugout tonight and the little twit just looked terrified. God only knows what those maulers in pinstripes have in store for him.
  • Options

<< <i> But now we turn to tomorrow. What's going to happen? I'm inclined to give the edge to Bonderman, except that he's such a pinhead. And Wright, IMO, is underrated. One thing I do know, though, is that I don't want to see the Bengals back in Yankee Stadium on Mon. against Wang. >>

Wright finds himself in jam after jam that he somehow wiggles out of. But this is the post season and I don't want to go through that with him. I am bracing myself ....

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> But now we turn to tomorrow. What's going to happen? I'm inclined to give the edge to Bonderman, except that he's such a pinhead. And Wright, IMO, is underrated. One thing I do know, though, is that I don't want to see the Bengals back in Yankee Stadium on Mon. against Wang. >>

Wright finds himself in jam after jam that he somehow wiggles out of. But this is the post season and I don't want to go through that with him. I am bracing myself .... >>

Well, if nothing else hopefully it's a competitive game. In any event I'm sure we'll all be here after the end of the 9th to talk all about it.
  • Options

<< <i>

Well, if nothing else hopefully it's a competitive game. In any event I'm sure we'll all be here after the end of the 9th to talk all about it. >>

BOTTOMS UP TO THAT image

• Options
    Hello A761506 What happened?????
  • Options
    I'm manic-depressive when it comes to the Tigers... they have disappointed for 19 years in a row and it's easy to get upset, but momentum shifts and it's easy to flip-flop the other way as well.

I flip-flop again - I revoke my fluke comments - even if they lose this series, at this point, they have proven to me that they deserve to be there.
  • Options
    I STARTED THIS THREAD. HATE TO SAY, "I TOLD YA SO!"
  • Options

<< <i>I'm manic-depressive when it comes to the Tigers... they have disappointed for 19 years in a row and it's easy to get upset, but momentum shifts and it's easy to flip-flop the other way as well.

I flip-flop again - I revoke my fluke comments - even if they lose this series, at this point, they have proven to me that they deserve to be there. >>

Fair enough I am the same way you could say.Being a die hard Tiger Guy for almost 50 yrs it sure has been a rollercoaster ride throughout the years after suffering through the 90s and early 00s its easy to get discouraged after seeing them flounder agianst the Royals just a week ago.Hopefully they have turned the corner and bring the Title back to Detroit however even if they do not there is definetly a bright future ahead.

GO TIGERS!!!