Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it confusing when more than one person uses an icon ?

If you see a certain icon do you think of a certain person? So if somebody else uses it too do you get those people confused or do you just look at their user name instead? I'm just wondering. image

edit
I changed the title because I think people think I was complaining about other people using my icon. I was wondering if other people get confused like i do when more than one person uses the same one.
What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns

Comments

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I see people using other's old icons and it gets me confused. I also see people with some of my old icons.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    When new people join between icon upload days, they have to use what is available. Someone else uses the one I uploaded (an image of one of my gem dmpls) and it doesn't really bug me. SHould be flattering. Now, if some started using Lucy's winkie avatar, that would be different .... though I could, laughing, see a newbie do that not realizing it isn't just cool but pretty personal.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    The guy using Coinguy1s icon should cut it out -

I put my name in my icon to discourage others from using it.
  • Options
    notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235

<< <i>When new people join between icon upload days, they have to use what is available. >>

Maybe they could do something like "being used" next to an icon when somebody is using it then people know.

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>

<< <i>When new people join between icon upload days, they have to use what is available. >>

Maybe they could do something like "being used" next to an icon when somebody is using it then people know. >>

Might work sometimes. But I think a new member might not realize what that means and even that people upload their own periodically, that it just isn't some pool of random icons to choose from.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    That's why I don't change my icon.......With my name in it, hopefully no one will use it.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it cool when someone uses one of the icons I've uploaded. I look at the name below the icon to see whom is making a comment.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with using other people's icons? image

I think it's kind of flattering, personally! image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    depends... I remember a newbie started using comicdebris' and it would confuse me, reading the entry before checking the name of the poster...
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    The guy using Coinguy1s icon should cut it out -

That's the first one that has actually confused me, I keep thinking it's Mark when I see that, even though it has been modified so it is different from Mark's.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I put my name in my icon to discourage others from using it.

So did I! Make something original Sam...so no one else can use it! image
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    i`ve switched my icon from when i joined after i saw another member using it, and i missed icon upload day.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    There is someone using my icon - he doesn't post very often, though, and I don't think
    many people would confuse us as he has a very different writing style! image

Ken
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image with coin guy icon

speaking of which....Mark tell us where you thought the icon up etc...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely take it as a compliment. image

There are actually three very logical icons now. image

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    jdsinvajdsinva Posts: 1,508
    It's confusing but I believe the way CU is set up, it's not theft either. In most cases I don't think the people perceive the problem like those who have been here for a while.
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that with time I try to not let the little things in life bother me notlogical. If it takes a 1/2 second to check the name under the icon---thats OK. It really doesn't take long after icon upload day to begin to put a name to a pic.
    Now when those boneheads in public office decide to raise my taxes (property/school/paycheck/S.S./state/Fed/local/sales/investment/ DEATH etc etc) then I get a little worked up.image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sam: In reply to your two questions:
      1. If you see a certain icon do you think of a certain person? -- Yes
      2. So if somebody else uses it too do you get those people confused ...? -- Yes
      I'm just wondering. -- Me Too! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    • Options
      ILikeMercsILikeMercs Posts: 1,392
      huh?
      imageimage
      imageimage
      imageimage
      imageimage
      imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
    • Options
      mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
      There were a couple people a while back that were using my icon, but they have since stopped posting. i do find it confusing when two people have the same icon.
      coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    • Options
      ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
      Why not something like this????

I tried shrinking it in Photoshop so you could upload it as an icon, but for some reason it keeps distorting the image. Maybe someone on here can shrink it better for you???

• Options
      ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
      What's all the the commotion about? image
    • Options
      CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why not something like this????

I tried shrinking it in Photoshop so you could upload it as an icon, but for some reason it keeps distorting the image. Maybe someone on here can shrink it better for you??? >>

Hey now, that looks a lot like the old man's. image
      Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
    • Options

<< <i>The guy using Coinguy1s icon should cut it out -

>>

I second that.
    • Options
      But I think a new member might not realize what that means and even that people upload their own periodically, that it just isn't some pool of random icons to choose from.

So what they need is a pool of random icons to choose from... None that are being used or have been used... Better yet, you get a little red box until you upload an new avatar.. except me and others grandfathered in because well.... Go braves! image
    • Options

<< <i>I have found that with time I try to not let the little things in life bother me notlogical. >>

It doesn't bither me, its just confusing sometimes and I was wondering about it.

I didn't know there were so many Mr. Spock's out there! image

<< <i>Sam: In reply to your two questions:
        1. If you see a certain icon do you think of a certain person? -- Yes
        2. So if somebody else uses it too do you get those people confused ...? -- Yes
        I'm just wondering. -- Me Too! image >>

image Now that's logical!

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
        Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
        "speaking of which....Mark tell us where you thought the icon up etc... "

You mean you don't know who Poindexter is?

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
      • Options
        StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Actually in Mark Feld's case, I think that Coin-Dexter is more appropriate. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
      • Options

<< <i>When new people join between icon upload days, they have to use what is available. q]

How does one upload a different icon? I can't find out how to do this through help.

Roger
        SafeCracker

My Indian Name is: Runs With Beer
      • Options
        Many use my icon--OK by me!
      • Options
        relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yes, millions of dollars are lost annually due to duplicate icon use image
        My posts viewed image times
        since 8/1/6
      • Options
        BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The guy using Coinguy1s icon should cut it out -

>>

I second that. >>

I also think this. It is kind of like looking for a book by a certain author just to find out someone else is using the same name. There are usually law suits over this kind of thing. image

Also someone is using the same icon I am and it gets confusing when I see posts I did not write. image
      • Options
        MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
        There were a couple people a while back that were using my icon, but they have since stopped posting.

Mgoodm3- what exactly IS your icon? image
        I've always wondered, and have thought it reminds me of a ghost...
        My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
      • Options
        robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
        I tried shrinking it in Photoshop so you could upload it as an icon, but for some reason it keeps distorting the image. Maybe someone on here can shrink it better for you???

• Options

carolj
        Administrator

Wednesday June 04, 2003 10:20 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Once you load an icon in to the system anyone can use it without your permission.
        There is no such thing as "my" icon.
        If you have loaded a pic of yourself and want it out of the system, let me know.

Carol
      • Options

<< <i>carolj
        Administrator

Wednesday June 04, 2003 10:20 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Once you load an icon in to the system anyone can use it without your permission.
        There is no such thing as "my" icon.
        If you have loaded a pic of yourself and want it out of the system, let me know.

Carol >>

Thanks, I just think it gets confusing. Like when you read through a thread and see the icon I don't always read the name under it so I think of a certain person when I see a certain icon. that's all. I'm glad there are more vulcans. Maybe there won't be so many emotional out bursts in the future.

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
        MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
        Maybe next Halloween we should "borrow" someones icon and post in a manner similar to the original owner of the icon. Kind of like a costume party. image
      • Options
        pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Also someone is using the same icon I am and it gets confusing when I see posts I did not write. image

Me too ... ocassionally I see my dime and think I wrote something I forgot about ...

also, sometimes I associate a name with an icon such that I don't check to see if that IS the person who's post I'm reading

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
      • Options
        a039a039 Posts: 1,546

Mr Spud, you have a great sense of humor! Keep it coming!
      • Options

<< <i>
        image >>

I wish I never started this dumb thread. imageimageimage

I have a feeling it going to be a long day in school image

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
        CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
        This too shall pass.
        Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
      • Options

<< <i>
        image >>

Hey, what happened to mr. potato head spock?

"Live long and prosper"

• Options
        garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
        YES
      • Options
        mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
        Spuck has been brought back.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
      • Options
        Thanks. (I think?) image

"Live long and prosper"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file