Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Joe Dimaggio Rookie Card?

Hi, All

Which card do you think should be Joe Dimaggio's true rookie card? I would like to add one to my card collection but seems like everyone has a different opinion. Memory Lane auction from last month sold a 1936 Goudey Premiums Dimaggio, PSA 7, for over $11K. However, this card is not even listed in the SMR and, therefore, its value is rather questionable. Another possible rookie card is the 1936 Goudey World Wide Gum. The "problem" with this card is that it is Canadian. Lastly, there is the popular 1938 Goudey. Since Dimaggio was a rookie in 1936, seems like a card issued in 1938 would be considered too late.

Comments

• Options
    Many Pre War players have no true rookie card it then becomes a debatable topic as to what issues count and which do not. The first card produced of Joe DiMaggio as a player is actually the very scarce PCL Zeenut card. What would be his major league rookie ? Like I said before it depends on what you consider a card and what types of cards you think count as rookie cards. The fact that a card is not in SMR has no basis in whether or not it is a valued or collected card. In fact many of the values in the SMR have no basis in reality. Some of the most valuable baseball cards in the world have no SMR price: for example T210 Joe Jackson, 1897 Henry Reecius Cigars Honus Wagner, 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth, Toleteros Josh Gibson, etc.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with one of the two '36 issues, whichever is the more valuable of the 2.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I consider this the Clippers' R/C. 1933 Zeenut PCL (uer);

• Options
    bsavagebsavage Posts: 204 ✭✭

<< <i>I consider this the Clippers' R/C. 1933 Zeenut PCL (uer);

image >>

I know nothing about this card, but isn't it a minor league card?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    1936 World Wide Gum

But does the designation "rookie card" really have any weight?
    Seems like that was part of the hype of the '80's boom.
    Rookie cards seems to be an even more vague term when applied to vintage cards- was the Reccious Wagner issued in 1896, or 1920? Do you count minor league cards like Ruth's Baltimore News, T210's of Jackson and Stengel, or Dimaggio's Zeenut? How about rookie cards issued after the death of the player, like the Toletero's Gibson?
    SOME collectors seem to consider a particular players rookie card based on whether they OWN it or not, and change the designation based on their inventory.
    Collect what you like and can afford, you'll never be disappointed!
    And welcome to the boards, BBfan79!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    As with the '14 Baltimore Ruth, I consider the '33 Zeenut DiMaggio to be a pre-rookie card, a minor league card if you will.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    I suppose the Zeenut would have an XRC next to it if it was in Beckett.... does anyone need a better reason to avoid this horrid card? image Seriously, I love that card.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks to all for your insight!
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

My three

1933-36 ZeeNut PCL Joe DeMaggio

1936 Goudey Premiums DiMaggio-McCarthy

1936 Goudey Premiums “Joe” DiMaggio

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

![](https://us.v-
    cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/7c/447r1ye6k78o.jpg "")

What do you guys think about these?

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run like the wind.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

No bueno

Andy

• Options

What tells you that? Just so I know

• Options

The Gehrig was Authenticated by several Dealers..

• Options

@cardshark0131 said:

The DiMaggio has been soaked in tea and baked to "fake age" it. Notice where it's a little crispy around the edges. The Gehrig is far too white where the fibers are exposed in the creases.

• Options

@cardshark0131 said:

Then I would stay away from those "Dealers" also.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@cardshark0131 said:

The DiMaggio has been soaked in tea and baked to "fake age" it. Notice where it's a little crispy around the edges. The Gehrig is far too white where the fibers are exposed in the creases.

All of what Kyle says, plus the cracking on the surface is no good. I'd say, too, that the DiMaggio has strangely taken on an awful lot of creasing and weathering but has been able to maintain sharp corners. Not realistic. Check out the reprints on eBay. I think surface and card stock are dead giveaways.

Andy

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you see red on the bottom back of the Gehrig? I don’t see any

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardshark0131 said:

Trying to sell these here in our BST is like the guy who tries to rob the bartender in a place where cops hang out.

Mike
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@cardshark0131 said:

Welcome to the forum

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really bad fakes. Stay away.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.