Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A beautiful J-1574 $5 Copper Flowing Hair pattern from 1878!!!!

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
Or am I the only one that thinks so? This is a copper pattern and despite the color shown in the pictures is very much red and brown.

This is nearly the same identical design as the 1879 $4 Stella - flowing hair design by Charles Barber.
This was engraved by William Barber, his father a year earlier and I believe to be the real "Daddy" of the 1879 $4 FH Stella!!

COMMENTS??????

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 573
    I Love it,, Very Nice
    Collector Of Indian Cents!
    Fly-In Club
    My PCGS Registry Sets
  • Options
    KoinlinkKoinlink Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Man I wish that was mine!! image
  • Options
    dwsswsdwssws Posts: 2,166
    Very nice! thank you for sharingimage

p.s. I think the slab is shedding its plasticimageimage
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    Beauty!!!!! Yes it really looks like a Stella doesn't it? Actually I'm surprised it escaped a gold-plating in it's early years. Nice oneimage
    morgannut2
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pattern. I love that design.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Thanks for sharing. But, I don't like it (the design).
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    An amazing coin I would love to own.....just wonderful image
  • Options
    Awesome!! I love it!!!
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    now why cant we have a five dollar coin for circulation today image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice. now we just need some non-Heritage images of it. I would bet that it looks nicer in person.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mgoodm3: You may have more misery there.

I decided to buy this pattern from Larry Hanks and will have the assignment to take my famous out of focus pictures of this pattern for you!!!

By the way, it sold at Heritage in June 2004 for $11,500. I think I was given a fair price for this piece. It now satisfies my long time desire to own a "flowing hair" design. In fact, I like this more than the $4 Stella. Is that my imagination or wishful thinking?????

Take a look at this pattern (engraved by William Barber) and compare it to the flowinghair $4 Stella of 1879 and 1880 (engraved by Charles Barber)!

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pickup oreville. image

I saw that coin in hand at Central States and if I didn't already have the half eagle in my pattern denomination set it would be in the Boiler78 collection today.image
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patterns are very beautiful and scarce, but it's like cavier-- a lot of people gag at it because it's so weird. Someday I hope to own at least one pattern by Morgan.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the kind of thread that makes this place so special. Even though I can not offer an educated opinion on this subject. I have been exposed to something new and intresting, which will hopefully elevate the education level of many, besides myself. This type of subject is far more helpful than many other topics, and I do find the coin attractive.

Mercury

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
  • Options
    Just updating this thread.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick-up that's a great looking pattern... oops prototype.image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great coin. I would love to hear Julian's comments. I think every pattern in existance is ex-Julian.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>now why cant we have a five dollar coin for circulation today image >>

As far as im aware, you are legally allowed to spend an AGE $5 image
  • Options
    Coincidentally, there have been several attractive J-1574 floating around lately, including one with lovely blue toning. A wonderful area of specialty would be a set of copper patterns of proposed or adopted gold issues. Patterns hold an endless fascination for me, with their wide range of artistry, their history, their rarity, and their mysteries.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    I also like it more than the Stella. While I love the Stella's beautiful obverse, im not such a fan of the rather plainish reverse. Your pattern gives the best of both worlds with the almost identical obverse, and a cool eagle that cannot be found on any circulation coinage on the reverse. Nice pick up. Wish I had in the vicinity of $13,000 to blow!
  • Options
    very nice O, you have great taste!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file