Home Metal Detecting
Options

I haven't been out metal detecting for years now

I have a Whites 6000, but it needs repair.
I remember when I first got it.
I went out to a place I used to fish at a lot when I was a kid. There's a railroad bridge over the White River, and just below it was a popular fishing spot. I thought I might find some old coins and fishing lures there.
When I got there, there were 2 old black women sitting on lawn chairs with bamboo poles fishing and I didn't want to disturb them.
I went up onto the railroad tracks and started hunting right on the tracks.
I got a signal for a dime, and dug thru the rocks and dirt and came up with a 1902 Barber dime.
I hunted around some more and then went down by the water and found some sinkers and other stuff.
Then one of the old black ladies hollered at me and I walked over to see what was on her mind.
She said, "what yo looking for wi dat thang?"
I showed he the dime and the other things I'd found.
She started laughing then and pointed at the other old black woman, and said, "she thought yo be looking fo fish wi dat".

Ray

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Neat story but do you remember what condition the dime was in after being in the rocks all that time? How far down was it?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Rough surfaces, laserart.
    I still have the dime.
    I have a cigar box about half full of old coins and rings and other stuff I found. Been thinking of selling them on Ebay as a group.
    I had about $200 worth of pennies I found. The stinkin bank wouldn't take em. Too many zinc Lincoln Memorials, and a lot were corroded.
    I passed em all off on convenience stores.
    I kept all the wheat cents.
    Edited: I think the dime was about 8" deep.
    I could follow behind other people metal detecting, and find coins they'd missed. The Whites 6000 is a real good machine.
    Ray
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Cool story. Railroad tracks are not easy to hunt on. I've tried a few times in areas that we used to put coins on the rails to be squashed.

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I've often wondered about old RR stations and the grounds nearby. The track bed always seemed like it would not be easy to uncover anything buried. Maybe find a Hobo nickel? that would be cool.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    good story!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've often wondered about old RR stations and the grounds nearby. The track bed always seemed like it would not be easy to uncover anything buried. Maybe find a Hobo nickel? that would be cool. >>

what is a Hobo nickel?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    CROCKofCOINSCROCKofCOINS Posts: 1,545

<< <i>

<< <i>I've often wondered about old RR stations and the grounds nearby. The track bed always seemed like it would not be easy to uncover anything buried. Maybe find a Hobo nickel? that would be cool. >>

what is a Hobo nickel? >>

http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article2428.chtml

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

what is a Hobo nickel? >>

<a href="http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article2428.chtml">http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article2428.chtml</A&gt;

Jerry >>

cool! thanks for the link..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one could find an authentic Hobo nickel, it would be worth big bucks... I am sure they are out there, but more likely in old hobo camps... hard to find now...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I mentioned above, these are quite valuable. Bill Zach has a book about them - very interesting. Originals are highly prized, there are a lot of moderns out there now, many contemporary artists have taken up the torch and make them for sale. Cheers, RickO