Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official Phillies Thread

mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
Okay - the team's not doing so well - but I am so pleasantly surprised at the relief pitching.

Tom Gordon with 9 saves already?

Rheal Cormier not giving up an earned run yet this year? Phenomenal - now only if the starting pitching and the offense could improve...
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738
    Cormier's a good Canadian boy image

The Phils are in good hands with Gillick, unless his age is catching up with him. I wouldn't want to be 68 and have the responsibility that he has. I really think, before all is said and done, the Phils will be right in the thick of it at the end of the year.

Have the trade talks surrounding Abreu subsided? I was down in Dunedin for Spring Training and overheard some Phillies fans saying that Abreu is not all that popular with the Phillies' fans. Why is that?
  • Options
    Bring up Cole Hamels!!! Ya'll need him, and the kids been on fire for a couple of seasons now.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Even though the offensive power that I thought would be there isn't, pitching has once again let me down bigtime. Lieber
    is a complete bust and there isn't much behind him. Im not that impressed with the save totals as it seems like the closer
    for the Phils always has plenty of shots.

I don't mind winning 10-9, but if the offense isn't hitting the snot off the ball we aren't going to be in a lot of games with our
    pitching.

Kevin

PS..no way the Mets can keep this up
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think the Phils have a decent team this year, and yes, they should be bringing Hamels up soon. This team will hit and will compete for the division and wildcard.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    PS..no way the Mets can keep this up

Better hope they start to fall way back to .500 bc look at there last 25 games of the year. its almost the same schedule to begin the year! looks good for the mets IMO
  • Options
    watch out for gio gonazlez he is coming.
  • Options
    I knew the second I said the bats were cold they would bust out the whoppin sticks. Even better to do it against a hitless Bonds. Gavin
    was gutsy today. Here come the bats.

JS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is hope, but without making this a thousand word post, it is already not looking good for any chance at a playoff spot. I know it's early to be thinking this way but I have been following MLB for many years and understanding the system, the current teams and how they each got out of the gate and are expected to play the rest of the season, and knowing the expected capabilities of this year's Phils, it's simply not looking good. But I hope I'm completely wrong...again...there is still hope, with a long way to go yet.
  • Options

<< <i>There is hope, but without making this a thousand word post, it is already not looking good for any chance at a playoff spot. I know it's early to be thinking this way but I have been following MLB for many years and understanding the system, the current teams and how they each got out of the gate and are expected to play the rest of the season, and knowing the expected capabilities of this year's Phils, it's simply not looking good. But I hope I'm completely wrong...again...there is still hope, with a long way to go yet. >>

Thats nothing a 12 game winning streak won't fix.

JS

PS..Let me say again, Mets can't keep this up!
  • Options
    PS..Let me say again, Mets can't keep this up!

sure they can image
  • Options
    I think it's more like the Phillies can't keep this up

Barring injury, the Mets will run away with the division
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

This month's games with the Mets, starting next week in Philly will be very interesting.

The Phils are getting stronger although I agree that fans cannot be too hopeful yet.

We'll just have to see if the bats and pitching can stay in sync. It seems that one or the other fails the team at different points in the season.

Have to say it is great to see a real Phils/Mets rivalry again.

Go Phils!

Keith
  • Options
    Have to say it is great to see a real Phils/Mets rivalry again.

have to say i agree! never had bad feelings towards the phillies! its the braves i cant stand! i hate the braves more then the yankees.

nothing would make me happier then to see mets phils in playoffs while braves sit home and watch! but of course mets win division and go on to win the series image
  • Options
    Phillies certainly looked great this weekend, notwithstanding the Bonds sideshow. I don't even mind that the jerk hit 713, since the Phillies played so solidly.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738
    A little fuel for the Mets/Phillies rivalry. Billy Wagner spouting off.

Billy Wagner- ESPN Story
  • Options

<< <i>A little fuel for the Mets/Phillies rivalry. Billy Wagner spouting off.

Billy Wagner- ESPN Story >>

Hope the Phils hit the snot out of the ball every time he takes the mound.

Good riddance.
  • Options
    Billy won't even see the field, unless he is put in during a Phillies blowout.

JS
  • Options
    really looking forward to this series!
    hopefully I can make it to the game on Thursday
  • Options
    Billy won't even see the field, unless he is put in during a Phillies blowout.

LOL yes it will be so easy to score 5 + runs on pedro and glavine! sorry but i dont see any blowouts this series. it will be nail bitters! id say 2 1 run games and maybe a 3 run win!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I'll be going to my first game in Philly sometime in the next few weeks... Definately looking forward to it. Whats the word on tickets, are they tough to come by ? Should I buy in advance or would game day be fine ? I've been to my first games at Pittsburgh and Cincinatti already this year, and both I was able to get great seats the day of the game.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Pedro and Glavine are going to have the wheels come off in this series! Burrell and Howard are starting to heat up. Utley is on fire. Ready to
    see the team ERA blow up?

JS
  • Options

Hamels called up and will start against Cincy on Friday.

Madsen to the pen.
  • Options
    kind of a cheap way to win a game, but Ill take it with our #6 guy pitching. GO PHILS!

JS
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    That was an amazing catch by Rowand. Talk about a huge play.
  • Options
    Cole Hamels could be a difference maker for the Phils this year. The offense is better than the Mets, as is the defense. The Phils pitching is the weakness, and now we may have a real pitcher.
  • Options
    Its funny, Cole pitches a great game..5 innings no runs...Dip*hit comes in gives up 2 runs and gets the Win.

I like this youth movement in Philly!!

JS

PS..This just in....Prince Fielder was just spotted wearing a Phils hat..haha haha...tough loss Mets
  • Options
    The offense is better than the Mets, as is the defense.

I dont understand that at all?

mets defense has been awesome outside that heilman throw! our offense is fine. we got the injury bug right now to our starting pitching.

mets will be back up by 4 games by wednesday. you guys will lose 1 to the reds. and will lose monday night at brewers with capuano on the mound!

hamels looked good. a little wild tonite. first game jitters probably. but i thought all the hype on this kid was a lefty that hit 98mph? fastest i saw him hit was 93mph tonite.
  • Options
    The Phils have a better lineup on paper than the Mets from an offensive standpoint. The Mets have the better pitching staff.

I always back my team, but I am really excited about this team and season.
  • Options
    The Mets are clearly the team to beat ... and the Heilman throw was one of those things. How he isn't in the rotation is beyond me.

Joe - Madson is solid. I think he will be a starter again this season. If Floyd and Hamels continue to grow, Madson will catch it.
  • Options

Looking forward to another great series with the Mets in two weeks.

Just stay healthy Cole.
  • Options
    It's amazing to see how people perform when their job is in danger - Lieber throwing a perfect game through 6 innings.
  • Options

Oh man, thanks for the jinx Braves fan. image
  • Options

Although ESPN should get some credit too image
  • Options
    Great show by Lieber.

Phils take two from the 1st place Reds.

Mets in a close one with the Brewers.

Hope the season stays this exciting.
  • Options
    Welp its official, whoever I critisize, goes on a tear! I said the O was disppointing and they kill the Mets and Reds, I say Lieber sucks
    and he pitches a gem. If we could only get more from Rollins! LOL

JS
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving Tom Gordon! 13th save today
  • Options
    Ryan Howard busting out the whopping stick! I can't believe I traded a bunch of Mets crap for a Bow Best auto rookie a few months ago! That
    card is burning a hole in my box!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Ryan Howard busting out the whopping stick! I can't believe I traded a bunch of Mets crap for a Bow Best auto rookie a few months ago! That
    card is burning a hole in my box!

JS >>

Two home runs yesterday. Quite a performance!
  • Options

Let's hope the Phils play well in Brewtown, get through the Bosox without much bloodletting and prepare well for the Mets next week.

Mets may have a tough week with the Cards and Yanks.

Fantastic season so far.
  • Options
    Great to see Abreu start off today's game with a double, followed up with a 2-run home run by Pat Burrell. Would be wonderful to see Hamels have another spectular start.
  • Options
    2 K's in a 1-2-3 inning ... so far so good.
  • Options

<< <i>2 K's in a 1-2-3 inning ... so far so good. >>

He just escaped a jam in the 2nd, with bases loaded!
  • Options
    argh! Why did they leave him in so long?
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    To you guys that live in the area and go to Phillies games...

I will be heading to Philly next week, mostly to see a game, and I wanted to know the likelyhood of being able to just walk up game day and get some really good seats.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

Bri -

If you're staying in a good hotel make friends with the concierge.

Slip him some cash and ask about tickets.

Keith
  • Options
    I'm flying to Philadelphia next month for a job interview... I may try to squeeze in a game. I believe they are playing the Drays then - do most games sellout/ are tickets expensive, and does say $25 get a good seat?
  • Options

Good luck Mets fans!

Let's see a good series.

Go Phils!
  • Options
    You will be able to walk up and get a ticket ... always a good crowd, but rarely sold out.

Get a cheesesteak on Ashburn's Alley
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Mets fans!
    Let's see a good series.

Ditto to you guys as well!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>You will be able to walk up and get a ticket ... always a good crowd, but rarely sold out.

Get a cheesesteak on Ashburn's Alley >>

Thanks for the info Neal.