Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it even possible to find classic gold commems in original packaging?

CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
I know the packaging of modern commems gets trashed for various reasons, and I was wondering if that habit was practiced 100 years ago? And if so, doesn't finding one in the original packaging add to the value, not of the coin per se, but of the set in total?

Thanks for your thoughts. image

PS Is it possible to collect these in original packaging?
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have see a picture or two of the Pan-Pac set in the original package. It was very cool.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I don't know if Proof examples of classic gold commemorative coins count or not. However, to me, one of the neatest groups of numismatic items around is the small number of framed Proof La. Purchase Jefferson and McKinley gold dollars.

These coins are, as Walter Breen puts it "accompanied by framed affadavits certifying each to be one of the first 100 struck, signed by Supt. Landis and the Chief Coiner". I have even seen a few examples with a wax seal still affixed to the back of the frame. That is about as original and cool as you can get.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Pan Pac dollar envelope comes up on eBay every so often, with and without a coin. They're about $80 without a coin.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know if Proof examples of classic gold commemorative coins count or not. However, to me, one of the neatest groups of numismatic items around is the small number of framed Proof La. Purchase Jefferson and McKinley gold dollars.

These coins are, as Walter Breen puts it "accompanied by framed affadavits certifying each to be one of the first 100 struck, signed by Supt. Landis and the Chief Coiner". I have even seen a few examples with a wax seal still affixed to the back of the frame. That is about as original and cool as you can get. >>

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! image As always, Thanks Mark!
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭
    Several examples of the Lousiana Proofs appeared at the Auction 88 sale. I'm in the office so I don't have that catalog handy but I'm sure they went for big bucks then. I believe two were had unbroken wax seals. There were also one or two with broken wax seals. Loads of fun.

Mitchell
    Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    Is there a way to find some pictures online? image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know if Proof examples of classic gold commemorative coins count or not. However, to me, one of the neatest groups of numismatic items around is the small number of framed Proof La. Purchase Jefferson and McKinley gold dollars.

These coins are, as Walter Breen puts it "accompanied by framed affadavits certifying each to be one of the first 100 struck, signed by Supt. Landis and the Chief Coiner". I have even seen a few examples with a wax seal still affixed to the back of the frame. That is about as original and cool as you can get. >>

Years ago I owned a Jefferson Gold Dollar that included the original box in which it came.

As for the item coinguy described, I saw one of those in the '70s at a regional show. The Proof coin was in a large frame with a certificate and a wax seal. I've read that only 50 of these items were issued for each of the McKinley and Jeffterson 1903 gold dollar types.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    How often do you see them for sale Bill? I imagine it's not very often.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking through old catalogs last weekend and one of them definitely had pictures of the frames. I'll see if I can find them again and get a scan online later tonight.

jonathan
  • Options
    Which catalog? My son has quite a few laying around. I could save you the trouble of the scan if we have it. image
  • Options
    If I remembered which catalog, I'd tell you. image

I have to go through the pile again. Fortunately, I should be able to spot it on a quick flip -- most of the pictures are round, after all, and a rectangle should stand out.

Can't look right now, tho. Give me a few hours.

jonathan
  • Options
    That's fine. "24" is coming on in a little bit anyway. I may do some searching while I'm watching that too. Thanks again!
  • Options
    They exist--but are hard to find and even harder to buy at a decent price.
  • Options
    From the Kagin's ANA auction, August 16-20, 1983.
    I don't have prices realized, but it's not like they'd mean a whole lot, 20+ years later.

• Options
    notlogicalnotlogical Posts: 2,235
    Thanks! My Dad and me looked through all my catalogs last night and didn't find any. I'll tell him. image
    What Mr. Spock would say about numismatics...
    image... "Fascinating, but not logical"

"Live long and prosper"

My "How I Started" columns
  • Options
    That's awesome. Thanks! image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Seeing the pictures posted by Jonathanb reminded me about the wax paper that covers the coins. I had also remembered the wax seals as being on the back rather than the front. image

These presentation coins pose an interesting and somewhat ironic situation - in order to keep them intact and preserved in their original packaging, one can't open them, examine the coins and see what they really look like!

A couple of years or so ago I "saw" a 3 piece set of silver commemoratives (I think it was an Arkansas set) which was in its original UNOPENED shipping box. The (extremely rare as such) item had brought very strong money in a public auction. But, if the owner were to open the box to see what the coins actually looked like, it would probably diminish the value of the item drastically. A very cool, yet frustrating item/scenario.image
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I remember that set, which I believe is a 1939 Arkansas set. Brian Hendelson had it and probably still does.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i> But, if the owner were to open the box to see what the coins actually looked like, it would probably diminish the value of the item drastically. A very cool, yet frustrating item/scenario.image >>

Well, someone could always get a CT (or some such) scan of it and use their imagination but wow that would be tough. Like a kid with a gift, picking at the tape on the wrapping paper until they can peek inside.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seeing the pictures posted by Jonathanb reminded me about the wax paper that covers the coins. I had also remembered the wax seals as being on the back rather than the front. image

These presentation coins pose an interesting and somewhat ironic situation - in order to keep them intact and preserved in their original packaging, one can't open them, examine the coins and see what they really look like!

A couple of years or so ago I "saw" a 3 piece set of silver commemoratives (I think it was an Arkansas set) which was in its original UNOPENED shipping box. The (extremely rare as such) item had brought very strong money in a public auction. But, if the owner were to open the box to see what the coins actually looked like, it would probably diminish the value of the item drastically. A very cool, yet frustrating item/scenario.image >>

Yea, verily.

It's like buying original sealed bags of silver dollars. You want to see inside, but you don't want to break the seal. What to do? image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Resurrecting an old thread because one of these just showed up on eBay. A teensy bit outside my price range, but plenty neat.

1903 McKinley Gem Proof Gold $1 in Presentation Card

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the classic gold commem packagings, one of the most widely traded is the box with purple velvet lining that housed a round or octagonal $ 50.

This is a smaller version of the box that housed the 5-piece set. The 5-piece set was also available in a frame.

An amazing and now extremely valuable "package" is the frame that held the double pan-pac set -- two of each coin so that both obverse and reverse could be displayed!
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    I've seen dealers who have Gold Pan Pac coins and commem $1 gold coins with their original packaging. They are valuable but not ridiculously rare, most are in pretty lousy shape though
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    cool
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    These are fantastic items and very difficult to find in original condition, however their survival rate is better than expected simply because they were special.

I’d also note that they are first strikes off new dies and intended for special sale and presentation, and not really “proofs.”
  • Options

<< <i>I've seen dealers who have Gold Pan Pac coins and commem $1 gold coins with their original packaging. They are valuable but not ridiculously rare, most are in pretty lousy shape though >>

There were two, three piece Pan Pac sets (half dollar, gold dollar and $2.50) with the original box floating around at the summer FUN show. One set, which I sadly never had a chance to see or buy, had the three coins in green label PCGS slabs, and a dealer whom I know and trust said the coins were nice. If the price had been even half way realistic I would have bought that in a New York minute.

The second set was in NGC holders. The half dollar was polished and all messed up in whatever NGC uses for a "genuine" holder. The gold dollar was in an MS-66 holder and was quite nice. The $2.50 was in an MS-66 holder, but it had an obvious scratch, and for that reason I could only give it an MS-65. The $2.50 was real deal breaker for me. I didn't want to drop almost $9 grand into a set with two coins I didn't like. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Here is an original holder for the Delaware commemorative half dollar. When I bought this there were no coins in it, but I did see one of these holders with coins in it (with tab toning on them) in the late 1980s. Delaware was my birth state, and for that reason I really like the Delaware commemorative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file