Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Commem question for inquiring minds...

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
... like mine.image

What are the top five (or up to five) early commems that may seem to be somewhat plentiful in MS64 and even up to MS66, but to find a "moose" in MS67 or even higher, is like locating the coveted "White Buffalo" on the Northern Plains.image
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options

<< <i>... like mine.image

What are the top five (or up to five) early commems that may seem to be somewhat plentiful in MS64 and even up to MS66, but to find a "moose" in MS67 or even higher, is like locating the coveted "White Buffalo" on the Northern Plains.image >>

HMMMMM! Me tradem you white buffalo for Antietam.?image

HMMMMM! Me throw in squaw too
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    In alphabetical order, some of the toughest types in MS67 and higher:

Alabama, Columbian, Hawaiian, Hudson, Lexington, Sesqui (no MS67's graded by PCGS) and Wisconsin.

Dizzy, I thought I might be seeing images of some new commem of yours by now.image
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In alphabetical order, some of the toughest types in MS67 and higher:

Alabama, Columbian, Hawaiian, Hudson, Lexington, Sesqui (no MS67's graded by PCGS) and Wisconsin.

Dizzy, I thought I might be seeing images of some new commem of yours by now.image >>

I believe in the old saying, "Patience is a virtue" ...and I'm virtually out of patience trying to do the coin its' proper justice with an image.image
    I'm getting close though and I've been away the last couple days so I'm "diving" into it again.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Let me add the Monroe and Maine to the list.

And Dizzy, the rule is if you can't get an acceptable image within 72 hours you must send your coin to me for long term storage.image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>Dizzy, I thought I might be seeing images of some new commem of yours by nowimage >>

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Dizzy asked about tough issues in MS67, that were "somewhat plentiful in MS64 and even up to MS66?".

Coinguy1 listed Alabama, Columbian, Hawaiian, Hudson, Lexington, Sesqui, and Wisconsin. Fatman added Maine and Monroe.

I do not see Alabama, Hawaiian and Hudson as "somewhat plentiful in MS64 and even up to MS66". These are tougher issues, so I would not choose to include them.

Wisconsin is very plentiful in MS67.

My list includes Bridgeport, Columbian, Lexington, Maine, Monroe, 1920 Pilgrim, and Sesqui. JMHO

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    Grant with Star
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    Vermonts a tough one in 65 and it aint cheap!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Mozin, I stand corrected on the Wisconsin in MS67 - I was apparently looking at the MS68 population by mistake.image

RegistryCoin - I had considered including the Grant/Star on my list, but omitted it since my reference was to "types" rather than individual issues. As a variety, the Grant/Star is extremely tough in ANY grade.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file