Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coins represent the best investment for the next 20 years?

Skip the lectures on why you shouldn't invest -- and make a case for where money is best spent for returns on investment.

Could be:
* Coins that are known and popular and will continue to increase in value
* Sleepers
* Series that that catch ahold of the gazillions of new collectors
* Moderns that people fight over in 10-20 years.
* etc.

Oh, and invest at your own risk! ;-)

-cm

Comments

• Options
    Junk silver coins bought cheaply and are melted down into bullion.

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Probably problem free keys and semi-keys to the regular popular series will either maintain their value or go up.
  • Options
    Funny photo!!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Best Investment? Look to the Darkside. Very undervalued compared to the US Market and with the supply of raw US material lessening every day look for the TPGs to make a strong promotional move into the Dark.

Kind of a strange answer coming from me. I have no interest in DarkSide material.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acid date Buffalo nickels. It will be all the American public can afford in 20 years.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Sell short on state quarters.
  • Options
    Any seris in quality gold coins.
  • Options
    Quality Lincolns. Changes are coming.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way the world economy is going, rare coins from India and China are a safe bet.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Properly stored, problem-free early copper and popular colonials, especially lettered edges. -- I think these will dry up

1885 & 1912-S Nickels in MS65 as well as PR66DCAM+better all Liberty nickel dates

1877 proof sets -- tough and market in 20 years to those born in 1977

Well-struck, high-grade mint state Ikes

Key and Semi-key DMPL Morgans

Classic Gold Commemoratives

Matte Proof Lincoln cents, gem and better (Shouldn't have sold mine!)

Well-struck copper-nickel Indian cents

Significant and singular modern mint errors

Full step gem Jefferson nickels

1964 SMS coins
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20th Century key dates from popular series' in high circulated grades, XF and AU.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the highest quality you can afford. There will always be a market for quality.

Leo
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the next Bowers Redbook going to be about?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing ever really changes. The coins that will be desirable and valuable are the same
    coins that have always been desirable. Coins which are rare and excellent quality will al-
    ways be among the contenders for the highest priced coins. In twenty years this will in-
    clude the classic favorites; 1804 dollars, rare gold, and high grade coins throughout US coin-
    age history. But unlike today there will be coins on the list that we'd hardly recognize to-
    day including some made in the next twenty years. Many of the coins on the list will be coins
    that today aren't even recognized as being collectible much less potentially valuable. There
    will be a startling number of moderns and other world coins on this list.

While human nature always ignores change until it is thrust upon us, there is always a slow
    buildup of change that is being ignored. One of the biggest changes in the last twenty years
    is the emergence of India and China and their exploding middle class. Most of these people
    will collect their domestic coins but there will be some demand coming for US coins. The num-
    ber of scarce and rare coins from that part of the world is staggering and if demand for them
    is to develop than prices will have to be far higher. Consider the silver 1969 Indian 10R. There
    were some 9,000 made in proof and, if memory serves, another couple million made in unc. The
    coin depicts Mahatma Ghandi who is recognized worldwide as one of the greatest men of the
    20th century and a chief figure in the establishment of India. This coin is readily available today
    and will cost only a few dollars when you find it (the unc is tougher). So what happens when
    1,300,000,000 Indians decide they each want one of what's left of 9,000 coins? Or how about the
    little aluminum 1Y Chinese coins of the late 1950's. More than a billion Chinese used these coins
    for decades as the coins suffered horrendous attrition and degradation in circulation. These are
    not seen in this country and it would be surprising if they are seen in China either.

Many currencies have been phased out in Europe with the introduction of the euro. Many of the
    older coins were not widely available before the balance were waffled and melted. Certainly the
    destruction of billions of coins didn't make anything more common.

It's not only the modern coins from all over the world that will be appreciating over the next 20
    years, it's also the older more well known scarcities that will increase. As more and more countries
    pull themselves up by the bootstraps there will be growing demand on coins that just never had
    any domestic demand, and very scant and price specific demand in this country.

The changes which have already occured in numismatics in the last five years will be small com-
    pared to the massive changes that are coming.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    they are all over priced right now.

HIGH END L@@K @ ME.. overgraded crappy MS62 going for
    gaga money due to who is selling it and what it is slabbed in.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've opened a can of worms.

If we tell you the TRUTH, these coins won't be popular.

Platinum Proofs will be pricier than middle class will ever be able to afford (hint: make a way to afford).
    Low mintage commemoratives will continue to dominate.
    Sacagaweas are a sleeper, and the new presidentials will not see growth like the golden women they had as wives.
    Lincoln cents, lewis and clark coins (2004 & 2005 nickels) ... These are all going to be up and coming.

Varieties as well as rarities and oddities will always be a sound investment. Coins like the "wide am cents", the wisconsin leaf varieties and errors. (mules, doubled dies, etc.)

Now that is for the newer stuff.

Classics will just keep riding the wave and won't lose ground.
    Errors are usually a safe bet and of course, we cannot leave out our famous GOLD COINS.

Shoot, ALL coins are usually a good investment twenty years AFTER they've been purchased image.
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    Platinum Proofs will be pricier than middle class will ever be able to afford

I agree, this one will be a killer down the road.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I'd recommend attractive, original (non-dipped, non-conserved) classic type coins. I believe that years from now, conserved coins will be looked upon with much more widespread disdain than they are now. Along with that, buyers will clamor for the small remaining quantities of attractive original coins. image
  • Options
    GSA CCs will become recognized for what they are--true un-messed with examples of mint state coins that were in a time warp for nearly a century.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    Coin investment is a misleading thing unless you are a dealer. For collectors there is usually not not much in the way of growth monitarily. Some coins appear to have appreciated greatly over the years but that's when you want to buy them. Try selling them. Who do you sell them to? So lets say you buy a 55DD Lincoln Cent for $1000 today. The market in ten years shows the same coin being sold for $3000. So you think your rich and try to sell it for that only to be told by most dealers we have to make a profit so I'll give you $1500 and that's a good deal because when I try to sell it for what you say, I'll be chewed down considerably. With a decent interest rate at a bank, that would be about the same amount of profit only no taxes on the interest. The point is most coins are not a great great investment and it is really tuff to tell what 20 years will mean to this hobby. Example is the Beanie Baby, stamps, baseball/football card, Hot Wheel car hobbies. If a new craze hobby comes along, coins will deminish as a great collectible profitable thing. With coins, remember the Bicentennial coins that will someday be worth a fortune?
    Carl
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    High grade deep cameo 1965 and 1966 SMS Jefferson Nickels. Currently, they are severely undervalued.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    carl,

ebay is the great equalizer. throw that coin up for N.R. starting
    at .99 cents with a solid reputation, and I am sure it will fetch
    more then that wuss of a dealer offering 50% of 3000. image

a lot of people will agree with that.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    There are people who still sell to dealers?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    What series' common dates will be strong, do you think?
  • Options

<< <i>What series' common dates will be strong, do you think? >>

Over the course of 20 years, common dates generally show little strength relative to rarer ones. I think as series go Liberty nickels and Ike dollars have general growth potential in mint state (and the former in cameo proof as well). For moderns, the dates will take a back seat, in many cases, to condition -- specifically strike. Full step Jefferson nickels in high grade for all dates probably will be grow-ers as well as show-ers.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    No problem PCGS simi-keys in the $100-$500 range.

David
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    No one can determine what might be rare in the future, but if the coins are rare now their is a good chance they will still be rare in the future.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are people who still sell to dealers?

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, "dealer" is a term of the past. Nowadays, they prefer to be called "market makers" image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There are people who still sell to dealers?

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, "dealer" is a term of the past. Nowadays, they prefer to be called "market makers" image >>

.....even though some are wannabes.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of the Wide Rim SBA, the SMS "gimmick" nickels of 94 and 97, as well as the 98 SMS Kennedy. I also really like the Goodacre dollars and scarcer Ike Varities, as well as platinum proofs.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Coins from Red China. We all will be

using them in the near future. Especially

when we close our Mint and outsource its

functions to China.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ebay is the great equalizer. throw that coin up for N.R. starting
    at .99 cents with a solid reputation, and I am sure it will fetch
    more then that wuss of a dealer offering 50% of 3000.
    >>

The problem is getting that "solid reputation." If you only have a few coins to sell, and don't want to become a part time dealer, you essentially start with a zero seller rating.
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins from Red China. We all will be

using them in the near future. Especially

when we close our Mint and outsource its

functions to China. >>

If that happens all coin collectors will insist that we outsource our US Presidency to Bejing or even Siberia as well!image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file