Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there any grading services that will NOT grade chopmarked Trade Dollars? -UPDATED- Coin back fro

I have an 1875-s/cc chopped that I want to put in a plastic coffin. Are there any grading services that currently WILL NOT grade chopped Trademarks? I know PCGS grades them. Do NGC and ANACS also grade chopmarked Trade's???? Thanks.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

Comments

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS will slab them. I've never seen one in an NGC holder, so I don't think they will slab them. I wish they would.
  • stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    I sent one to Ngc and they would not slab it. Pcgs did.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll get a 'details' grade at NCS ... not graded at NGC.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have an 1875-s/cc chopped that I want to put in a plastic coffin. Are there any grading services that currently WILL NOT grade chopped Trademarks? I know PCGS grades them. Do NGC and ANACS also grade chopmarked Trade's???? Thanks. >>

Care to share any scans of the coin in question? image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You'll get a 'details' grade at NCS ... not graded at NGC. >>

I remember seeing a high grade Trade Dollar in an NGC holder with one chop a mark in a VERY inconspicuous place. The chop was noted and the grade was somewhere in the MS series, but I can’t remember where.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC must have MISSED the inconspicuous place. They bounced a pillar dollar on me that had a teeensy chop on it.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once saw a chopped 1874-S trade dollar in a PCGS MS63 holder ... before they started grading the chops. The chop was light and well hidden in the wheat behind Miss Liberty.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Well, I got the coin back from ANACS. They graded it...AU 55 DETAILS CHOPMARKED...which I find kind of interesting. Usually you see the 'details' designation in association with a 'net grade', so I don't know if they consider the Chopmarks to put it in a 'net grade' category or not. Anyhow, here it is. These are scans not photos. The coin has attractive hints of cobalt toning near the rims, especially in the lettering. None of the color comes up in the scans. Scan does not particularly bring up the 'C' of the overmintmark either, but it's the best I can do. I would be interested in knowing whether anyone has ever seen an uncirculated chopmarked 1875-S/CC Trade Dollar. I've owned a couple of circulated ones in my time, but this is the highest graded one I have personally come across with chopmarks.

imageimage

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• IRCWCoinsIRCWCoins Posts: 895 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, I got the coin back from ANACS. They graded it...AU 55 DETAILS CHOPMARKED...which I find kind of interesting. Usually you see the 'details' designation in association with a 'net grade', so I don't know if they consider the Chopmarks to put it in a 'net grade' category or not. >>

Currently, ANACS only net-grades coins if you ask them to.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Cool coin! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

• << <i>NGC must have MISSED the inconspicuous place. They bounced a pillar dollar on me that had a teeensy chop on it. image >>

So I guess this one MAY get bounced also...

imageimage

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I got the coin back from ANACS. They graded it...AU 55 DETAILS CHOPMARKED...which I find kind of interesting. Usually you see the 'details' designation in association with a 'net grade', so I don't know if they consider the Chopmarks to put it in a 'net grade' category or not. Anyhow, here it is. These are scans not photos. The coin has attractive hints of cobalt toning near the rims, especially in the lettering. None of the color comes up in the scans. Scan does not particularly bring up the 'C' of the overmintmark either, but it's the best I can do. I would be interested in knowing whether anyone has ever seen an uncirculated chopmarked 1875-S/CC Trade Dollar. I've owned a couple of circulated ones in my time, but this is the highest graded one I have personally come across with chopmarks.
    >>

My understanding is if you get it back in the older ANACS holder it is net graded and if comes back in the new holder it is not.

Looks like you got the older holder so my guess is it is net graded.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The small sized holders are used for problem coins but they are no longer net graded unless the submitter specificly requests it.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw the plastic...

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    The small sized holders are used for problem coins but they are no longer net graded unless the submitter specificly requests it.

So...is the chopmark the 'problem' that gets it in the small sized holder @ ANACS...or is there some other issue with the coin that they don't necessarily identify on the label? I guess maybe I should call ANACS and get educated.

• << <i> I would be interested in knowing whether anyone has ever seen an uncirculated chopmarked 1875-S/CC Trade Dollar. >>

Greg, Check out the Chopmarked Trade Dollar Registry Sets. The 75 S/CC is part of the set. The Legend collection has a MS61 showing Pop 1 with 4 higher and the Bigkahuna Collection has an AU50 showing Pop 1 with 8 higher.

<< <i>So...is the chopmark the 'problem' that gets it in the small sized holder @ ANACS >>

Yes, the "problem" is the chopmark. If it had another problem (cleaned, etc) it would also be noted on the holder.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file