Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Little Things That Bug You (The official "Venting Over Little Things" Thread)

One of the things in this hobby that bugs me is when I get some cards in the mail, it takes 30 minutes to get the tape off in order to get the card out. One piece of tape will do.

Another is this - Folks ( in the media, especially ), it's RBI's, not RBI. That sounds so stupid to say, "And 'so and so' had 5 RBI in this game". I know they are trying to be grammatically correct, but I actually don't think that it IS correct, plus it sounds stupid. The term "RBI" is no longer just an abbreviation, it is now a word of it's own. Therefore, it should be 5 RBI's, not 5 RBI.

Sorry, I had to vent.

This is the official - "venting over little things" thread.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    50 cent or is it fitty cent?

Enough said. I feel your pain
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually "50 cents" (with an "s" on the end)! image

Shane

• Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    I hate people that don't know how to handle 4-way stops. Make me wanna get outta my car and start mowing people down.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    One of the things in this hobby that bugs me is when I get some cards in the mail, it takes 30 minutes to get the tape off in order to get the card out. One piece of tape will do.

AMEN to the above..........

Thanks,

Mary
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    How about going to a movie with six people in the theatre and some a-hole has to sit right next to you.
    Travis
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Why is 11 called eleven instead of onety one
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Why is 11 called eleven instead of onety one >>

I needed that one!!!

Shane

• Options
    with gas....image
  • Options
    How about going to a movie with six people in the theatre and some a-hole has to sit right next to you.

• Options
    I hate it when people get in the left lane of a 4-lane highway and plant themselves going 65. And then then dont change lanes even though 5 cars have passed them on the right.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I hate it when I order a martini and I find three tiny green olives in the bottom of my drink. Martini olives should be bigger than a marble and on a pick so that I can enjoy them without trying to stab them with a fork or reaching into my drink with my fingers. A martini glass should be 6 ounces at the most. If I want another drink, I'll order it. Don't give me a 9 or 10 ounce glass which allows my drink to warm up before I finish it.

I also hate all the commercials during a NFL game. The dead time is really annoying to the fans at the game.

Thank you. Please drive through.

P.S. edited to add that I hate the filter that wouldn't allow me to say coctail (sp) in my post.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    RBI = Run Batted In. Plural should be Runs Batted In. RsBI doesn't sound right.

One of my pet peeves in my industry is GPS System. Or VIN Number. It's the same as saying ATM Machine. Or Los Angeles Angels.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    or hot water heater
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Not really, you can have a hot water cooler, like a radiator.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    One thing that really bugs me is the lack of manners in todays society. A simple please or thank you goes a long way. A smile or friendly gesture may brighten the day of someone who is having a bad day. Whats wrong with being nice??
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    Anybody else hate it when you're waiting till the last second to snipe an auction and...... either Ebay crashes (or slows to a hault) or our your ISP goes down? ... and of course... you don't win your item.

• Options
    Ever get a GREAT pull out of pack... like a 1/1 auto, or jersey #'d insert... and right out of the pack it looks like it's been ran over by a truck already!

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I hate it when an owner (not specified) of a team (not specified) pockets his $25 million in revenue sharing and watches his team fall out of playoff contention two weeks into the season.

OK, I'm talking about David Glass and the Royals.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>RBI = Run Batted In. Plural should be Runs Batted In. RsBI doesn't sound right. >>

Are you agreeing with me, or disagreeing with me. I agree "RsBI doesn't sound right. Since "RBI" is its own word, then it should be "RBI's".

<< <i> One of my pet peeves in my industry is GPS System. Or VIN Number. It's the same as saying ATM Machine. Or Los Angeles Angels. >>

Good one. I too work with GPS. I never thought about that one. So, it's like saying "Global Positioning System System". Here is one related to that. I work for a local electric coop. One of my jobs is to "GPS" new poles that are installed. So, my question is - how do you use that as a verb? We always say, "I GPS'ed that pole". Or, "I am GPS'ing that pole".

Shane

• Options
    Why RBI's and not just RBIs

Al
  • Options
    Hmmm.

You might be right.

Shane

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    My two issues have to do with grammar.

1) People who refer to a team they like in the first person collective. as in "I love the Cardinals, but we need a better closer". Uh, no-- 'we' don't need anything. The Cardinals--- who should be referenced with the word 'they'-- need a closer.

2) When the verb used to qualify a sports team is conjugated in the third person singular. It sounds natural to me to say "The Miami heat are a good team", as opposed to 'The Miami Heat is a good team".
  • Options
    Me too on the grammar...

There, their and they're
    -I want to go THERE.
    -She is taking THEIR pictures tonight.
    -They're always taking so long.

Than and then
    -We went to the house, THEN we went to the mall.
    -Kobe Bryant had more THAN 20 points.
    Always collecting vintage basketball and any ABA memorabilia.
  • Options
    I agree. The Cardinals do need a better closer

Al
  • Options
    Ok, maybe this just happens in Canada but, what bugs the crap out of me is inconsistent prices for postage at the post office. I ship cards from my eBay auctions in a nice-sized padded envelope - I take it to one post office, it's $.89 to mail. I take it to another post office and it is $1.78. I've been selling cards on eBay for three years and I still have no frickin' idea what the post office is going to charge me.

On another note, another thing that bugs me is writers that insist on including their middle initial in their byline? It seems egotistical and elitist. What's the point? Do we really care what their middle name is?
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    A) i could care less. when you COULDN'T care less.

B) worst drivers in the world
    1) people with handicap plates
    2) school bus drivers

C) anyone bidding against me on E-Bay

D) drunken fans at sporting events

E) Jim Rome

that is it for now

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

people who say the word "brefest" instead of "breakfast".
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    -The improper use of apostrophes. PLURALS do not get apostrophes, like 'the garage's had a lot of cars'. Simple rule that many can't seem to grasp.

-The color pink. No, lady, that pink cell phone and pink shirt and pink purse do not make you a 'princess'. And no, men should not ever, EVER wear pink, either.

-On a related note, if I see another damned 'princess' license plate frame or 'princess' sticker on the back some broads car again, I am just going to snap.

-Talking and driving, driving and talking. If you can't do both at the same time, you need to choose one. If that phone call is so important you are keeping me from where I am going, you need to pull over, now.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    People who stop for yellow lights.
    People who don't understand that they can still turn left even though the green arrow went off (and there is no red arrow).
    Did I mention people who STOP at the intersection when the light turns YELLOW???
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>I hate it when people get in the left lane of a 4-lane highway and plant themselves going 65. And then then dont change lanes even though 5 cars have passed them on the right. >>

In Florida, the land of the newly wed and nearly dead this is our biggest pet peave.

I drove a 2005 Chevy Impala today from our office motor pool. This car has a warning bell that sounds when you leave your turn signal on accidently, another problem we face with all the 80 somethings on the road here.

I plan to petition the Governor to mandate that all drivers over 70 be required to buy one of these cars. image
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loud eaters drive me insane!!! Its even worse if your talking to them on the phone!
  • Options

<< <i>-On a related note, if I see another damned 'princess' license plate frame or 'princess' sticker on the back some broads car again, I am just going to snap. >>

Ax, sounds like you're resentful of all the ladies who have seen fit to decorate their cars in the same manner as you. image
  • Options

<< <i>people who say the word "brefest" instead of "breakfast". >>

About two and a half years ago, I go into a McDonald's for their breakfast platter. My wife was pregnant at the time and had a craving for Mickey D's pancakes. So, I order two breakfast platters and the girl behind the counter asks me "What d' you want with your brefestes"? I stand their quietly--I wasn't even sure if she was talking to me as she was so incoherent. She asks again, this time louder. "What d' you want with your brefestes--O J ?" I nodded my head.

I haven't been back to a McDonald's since. Too disturbing.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>-The color pink. No, lady, that pink cell phone and pink shirt and pink purse do not make you a 'princess'. And no, men should not ever, EVER wear pink, either. >>

Jeez man, a little rough on the ladies huh?

Been dumped once too often?

Where is the politically correct Axtell, or are you the only human allowed to wear pink?

Is there an age limit here or are little girls not to identify themselves with the word princess or wear pink either?
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I cant stand going into a food estanblishment or elsewhere and having 5 counter girls asking the following, Can I help whose next ? It drives my f-ing nuts. That is TWO questions, can I help ? and Whose next ? The proper way would be, Can(or may) I help whoever is next ? I am opening my business soon and I swear the first one who says that after being warned will be fired right on the spot. Maybe its something minimal but it gets under my skin.

I hate buying cards from a guy who wont combine shipping on purchases made seperate days but will combine packaging when it comes time to ship to me.

I cant stand doing 65 on the highway or parkway and having some soccer mom in her suv riding about 19 inches from my rear bumper.

I hate going to the fridge for the last beer only to find out the one I just finished was actually my last.

Also, getting calls from telemarketers on Sundays.

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Here's my little list of pet peeves:

1. Tom Cruise
    2. Elevator Muzak of Pat Benatar
    3. People motioning for me to roll down my window and asking if they can buy my car. Sure, you effing imbeciles. Let's stop in the middle of the road so you can offer me one-third of what my car is worth. It's always people who don't speak English well.
    4. The stupid wrapping on DVDs. It takes twenty minutes and two sutures to get one of those stupid things open.
    5. People who don't cover their mouth when they cough.
    6. People who don't take their kids outside of a restaurant when they start crying hysterically.
    7. Fat people in ice cream shops buying by the gallon.
    8. Golfers who cannot break a hundred, but take 40 minutes lining up their putts on the green.
    9. Public displays of affection between same sex couples.
    10. How small-minded and selfish most women can be.

I have more, but digest these.

Best,

JimCo
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    . Public displays of affection between same sex couples.

jimco--if you are talking brokeback i agree 100%. now two little female hotties nibbling on each others tongues on a street corner is art.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    The thing that bugs me most of all is, people that insist on pissing me off until no end image
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Most of mine have to do with restaurants and the patrons.. (My wife and I eat out far too much as cooking/cleaning up sucks.)

I hate seeing kids wearing caps in restaurants.. just the other day we were in a really nice place and this 20ish year old was wearing a cap and beater (undershirt) at the table.
    Poor service or food in general.. Waitresses that are all pissy right from the start suck. My wife and I usually just get up and go else where as 8 times out of 10 it's all downhill from there.. food.. everything. Servers that seem to expect a crappy tip because we're young so they do a really poor job and can be extremely rude.

Manors in general.. people that spit in public on the sidewalks etc.. (during sports is fine in my book).. don't hold the door for others.. don't say please.. don't say thank you..

The morons here in Edmonton that don't think Pronger is worth what we're paying him... the momo's that think Ales Hemsky (Oiler) is great.

I'll just stop. bleh.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the thing that really pi$$es me off the most are people who believe that they are better than somebody else. I was brought up to treat people like you want to be treated. Cant stand pompous, arrogant, or condascending people.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    I really hate it when I can't get someone's blood and viscera from under my fingernails.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    2 replies:

Another is this - Folks ( in the media, especially ), it's RBI's, not RBI. That sounds so stupid to say, "And 'so and so' had 5 RBI in this game". I know they are trying to be grammatically correct, but I actually don't think that it IS correct, plus it sounds stupid. The term "RBI" is no longer just an abbreviation, it is now a word of it's own. Therefore, it should be 5 RBI's, not 5 RBI.

I have to disagree. The R stands for either run or runs. To put an 's at the end would reflect on the I. This is incorrect. Its either runs batted in, or a single run batted in. Therefore RBI is correct.

I hate it when people get in the left lane of a 4-lane highway and plant themselves going 65. And then then dont change lanes even though 5 cars have passed them on the right.

This is a problem here in Virginia, but for the opposite reason. We have 2 laws which should be easy enough to understand. First is the speed limit. Second is that if you are traveling in the passing lane, you must yield to faster moving traffic. The issue is that if the speed limit is 65 and I am in the passing lane doing 65, in theory no one should be attempting to pass me. Therefore when I get in that lane and am doing the maximun posted speed limit, I move for no one. I especially love it when I'm in a marked unit and traffic backs up.
  • Options
    Highway construction forces two lanes down to one. Everybody moves over into the slow lane except for Mr. Important on his cell, driving his Escalade past everyone and then forcing his way over right at the very end.

Makes me want to carry a squirtgun filled with ink.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Oh I forgot one.

Eagles fans. They are more obnoxious than Yankee fans (and that's saying a LOT).

And I think the age limit for wearing pink and being called princess gets cut off at about 12, I would think. So, SoFLfan, you still qualify to wear pink and be called princess.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Little Things That Bug You >>

axtell..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Oh I forgot one.

Eagles fans. They are more obnoxious than Yankee fans (and that's saying a LOT).

And I think the age limit for wearing pink and being called princess gets cut off at about 12, I would think. So, SoFLfan, you still qualify to wear pink and be called princess. >>

Old enough to be your father....

...princess.

Pink looks good on any woman. But maybe you just don't understand.

• Options

<< <i>Highway construction forces two lanes down to one. Everybody moves over into the slow lane except for Mr. Important on his cell, driving his Escalade past everyone and then forcing his way over right at the very end.

Makes me want to carry a squirtgun filled with ink. >>

Excellent.

I check my mirrors then ease over and dog him by partially blocking the lane.
  • Options

<< <i>I have to disagree. The R stands for either run or runs. To put an 's at the end would reflect on the I. This is incorrect. Its either runs batted in, or a single run batted in. Therefore RBI is correct. >>

I agree if you are talking about a technical abbreviation. But "RBI" is no longer an abbreviation, in my opinion. People use "RBI" like a regular word now. Therefore, I think "RBIs" is right. Plus, it sounds better. Just like the word "ribbies" (ie "He had 4 ribbies in today's game).

Shane

• Options
    Another thing that drives me batty - THE HARDEE'S COMMERCIAL GUY!!!!

That guy sounds like he is hung over and on drugs.

Shane

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have to disagree. The R stands for either run or runs. To put an 's at the end would reflect on the I. This is incorrect. Its either runs batted in, or a single run batted in. Therefore RBI is correct. >>

I agree if you are talking about a technical abbreviation. But "RBI" is no longer an abbreviation, in my opinion. People use "RBI" like a regular word now. Therefore, I think "RBIs" is right. Plus, it sounds better. Just like the word "ribbies" (ie "He had 4 ribbies in today's game). >>

Agreed, Frank. It's like 'PIN number'. Nobody ever calls it a 'PI number'. The acronym has become its own word (like FUBAR, and others).