Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

henderson rookie...psa 10

good gracious...i'm still amazed at the 10s this guy pulls off. henderson rookie

anyone know anything about this seller?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    I would like to see a few of his invoices.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    lucky stars, that henderson will reach over $10k almost certainly huh?

are e-bay's selling fees comparably lower or higher versus auction houses?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>lucky stars, that henderson will reach over $10k almost certainly huh? >>

my guess is no more than $5k, probably less.. i've been wrong before though..
    ·p_A·
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i> i've been wrong before though.. >>

Like that time you lit your fart on fire? image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

<< <i>Like that time you lit your fart on fire? image >>

shut up, or i'll fart in a bubble mailer and send it to you..
    ·p_A·

<< <i>

<< <i>Like that time you lit your fart on fire? image >>

shut up, or i'll fart in a bubble mailer and send it to you.. >>

I think I poster tube would be better in this scenario. image

Sorry to derail the thread, now back to regularly scheduled programming. image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • I'm wondering if this is the SCD 10 (original flip) that was purchased at the end of last year for 300.00 and then sent in as a crossover. If it is, that sound you hear is me kicking myself in the butt............
  • onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    314... grader of (shhhhhh) too, so you KNOW that card is friggin' perfect! I'd love to have that card!... just not sure it would be worth the divorce, child custody battle, bankruptcy paperwork, tax fraud, and 'gotta sell my car quickly' situation it would bring on. .... but I would love to have it!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

just now looked at his other auctions...

en fuego!

Julen

RIP GURU
  • A PSA 10 with the famous 314 grader even !!
    My focus, 1970 Topps Baseball Raw and Graded, pre 1989 PSA Hockey and 1933 INDIAN GUM ! Yikes!!
  • BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I see 'godswork' is in the mix, at least of knowing and making an appearance.

Sorry, $5K will be in the rearview mirror at auctions end.

<< <i>I see 'godswork' is in the mix, at least of knowing and making an appearance.

Sorry, $5K will be in the rearview mirror at auctions end. >>

I agree.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    this seller has made some major 10s the last few months.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

i would think godswork has enough 9's that he should crack a few and see if he can get a 10.. he probably has a few dozen 9's..

i know a psa 10 sold a year or two ago for less than $6k, and i think the pop was 6 at the time..
    ·p_A·
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    By the way, the auction is wrong. It's a pop 8 at the moment, not 7.

Wasn't long ago, when I was actively working on this set, that it was a pop 3 - and a PSA 10 Henderson RC was but a dream. Before long, how many more will there be, and what will they be worth?

And, what's up with this guy's grades? It's raining 10's!
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    That Murray OPC that shares the scan with the Henderson ten ain't nothin' to laugh at either! That should go for a pretty penny!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

<< <i>That Murray OPC that shares the scan with the Henderson ten ain't nothin' to laugh at either! That should go for a pretty penny! >>

Yep. I am the high bidder, so shhh image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

<< <i>

<< <i>That Murray OPC that shares the scan with the Henderson ten ain't nothin' to laugh at either! That should go for a pretty penny! >>

Yep. I am the high bidder, so shhh image >>

Doh! Out bid already. I thought it would be a steal for $33.00 image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Is the bottom of the Murray chipping?

I submit that, it's comin' back a 7 . . . GUARANTEED!

Sweet Henderson, though!
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    How does the one for auction (right) compare to this one that I had on file? The one for auction sure does look better IMHO.

/s/ JackWESQ

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i think the black background makes it stand out and the font in the name seems tighter in the one on the right. the one on the right also doesn't have the "spec" in front of rickey's left arm...but the one on the right almost has an "airbrush" look to it in that area. could be the glare on the scan.

both look sweet imo.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

<< <i>i think the black background makes it stand out and the font in the name seems tighter in the one on the right. the one on the right also doesn't have the "spec" in front of rickey's left arm...but the one on the right almost has an "airbrush" look to it in that area. could be the glare on the scan.

both look sweet imo. >>

I agree. The one on the left used a bad scanner too, compare the flips to see the difference of the scans.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    $3500+ with 5 days left.
    well i was wrong.. at $5200 right now..
    ·p_A·
    $5455
    ·p_A·
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Wow! $5455...Can anyone with more knowledge of 1980 Topps fill me in on why these Henderson's always go through the roof. It's a pop of 7. I know he was one of the best players of his era, but...

<< <i>It's a pop of 7. I know he was one of the best players of his era, but... >>

actually, one of the greatest of all time.. image
    ·p_A·
    1 of 1st psa 10's sold for over $10k once upon a time...

julen
    RIP GURU
  • jmbkb4jmbkb4 Posts: 2,963

<< <i>Wow! $5455...Can anyone with more knowledge of 1980 Topps fill me in on why these Henderson's always go through the roof. It's a pop of 7. I know he was one of the best players of his era, but... >>

Remember what the first Ripken or Ryan PSA 10 '93 Refractor sold for????

I think it was in the $4,500 ballpark........

• << <i>Wow! $5455...Can anyone with more knowledge of 1980 Topps fill me in on why these Henderson's always go through the roof. It's a pop of 7. I know he was one of the best players of his era, but... >>

Top 10 greatest non-pitchers of all-time.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow! $5455...Can anyone with more knowledge of 1980 Topps fill me in on why these Henderson's always go through the roof. It's a pop of 7. I know he was one of the best players of his era, but... >>

Remember what the first Ripken or Ryan PSA 10 '93 Refractor sold for????

I think it was in the $4,500 ballpark........ >>

Josh,
    They were the first ones to appear, though. This is a 1/7...

<< <i>

Top 10 greatest non-pitchers of all-time. >>

I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree.

Cobb
    Ruth
    Mays
    Mantle
    Aaron
    Williams
    Musial
    Rose
    Gehrig
    Ripken

There's 10 definites. There's many more...
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    One of the reasons the Henderson card goes for such a high price is that it is almost impossible to find well centered. The late 70's Topps quality issues are well known, they didnt have any competition at the time until 81, when donruss and fleer came back on the scene and the quality of the cards got a little better. Same goes for the 79 Ozzie Smith rookie, a real bear to find centered.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree.

Cobb
    Ruth
    Mays
    Mantle
    Aaron
    Williams
    Musial
    Rose
    Gehrig
    Ripken

There's 10 definites. There's many more

I would take Henderson over Ripken for sure. Other than that I agree Henderson may not quite make the top 10. I just don't see Ripken in that class of players you have listed above him.
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Uhhh....Bonds...

Ranks ahead or with most of those that are listed.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
    Bonds? Only if you live in NOcal. Maybe you haven't been reading the news lately!? It's "possible" his numbers maybe slightly tainted!? Great player? Yes. Top 10? Not in my opinion.

<< <i>Uhhh....Bonds...

Ranks ahead or with most of those that are listed. >>

Maybe I should have re-phrased...'pure' players image

• << <i>

<< <i>Uhhh....Bonds...

Ranks ahead or with most of those that are listed. >>

Maybe I should have re-phrased...'pure' players image >>

• scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but that's crazy to pay $5,000+ for any card made recently. Especially when guys like Fritsch have vending cases stacked away, and there could be dozens more PSA 10's waiting to be submitted some day.

For that money, I'll take a mid-grade Goudey Ruth every day of the week, and twice on Sunday....
    henderson over ripken for sheezy.

offensively speaking, henderson holds his own w/ all those other players.

henderson is probably the most notable lead-off hitter of all time. his alltime offensive records are pretty amazing as well.

for durability, henderson obviously played or is playing well into his mid 40's.

his ego was just as big as all those other players too, if not bigger!

Julen
    RIP GURU
    Bonds? Only if you live in NOcal. Maybe you haven't been reading the news lately!? It's "possible" his numbers maybe slightly tainted!?

Bonds would have been a top 10 all time WITHOUT steriods. He was a three time MVP in the early 90s. Almost won 4 in a row. Regardless of what you think of him he is one of the best, if not THE best offensive player in the history of baseball.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    Bonds would have been a top 10 all time WITHOUT steriods. He was a three time MVP in the early 90s. Almost won 4 in a row. Regardless of what you think of him he is one of the best, if not THE best offensive player in the history of baseball.

You know it's tough to compare numbers between eras. How many home runs would Aaron have if he played now? 850? Most educated people can agree that Bonds' numbers are stacked by playing in modern era and possibly some performance enhancing substances not previously available. Having said that, Bonds has lots of positive attributes but he has NEVER played in 162 games, never got close to 200 hits (I know he walks but 200 hits is simple for a "great" hitter), and only had one decent postseason. I do not think Bonds would be in the top 10 without his huge numbers. Top 25 for sure but not top 10. Sorry. You must live in NOcal or Pittsburgh! image
  • Total hits is a poor measurement as to how good a hitter is. Mickey Mantle never sniffed close to 200 hits...Bill Buckner did it twice(and was close other times). Baseball fans need to reevaluate how they judge players, as it is constantly wrong.
    Baseball fans need to reevaluate how they judge players, as it is constantly wrong

I am merely playing devil's advocate so take this statement for that only but maybe Mantle is overrated and Buckner underrated? Buckner had 2,700 hits, .289 avg and a good glove (with a noted exception). Who has "THE" answer of what is a right way to evaluate baseball players? You? I know I don't know a lot but it seems like a jump to suggest that the rest of us are evaluating wrong!? I understand the lack of a 200 hit season doesn't make Bonds a bad player nor the contrary make Buckner a great player. It's just one more tool to look at. If Bonds played in 162 games, even once, he might have actually achieved 200 hits at least once!

Actually I'm not even a NoCaler or from Pitt. Not really even a huge Bonds fan, I just accept that he is (well, was) the best player of this generation. Kind of like Jordan. Never liked him or the Bulls (he wasn't as big of villain as Bonds) but I came around to realize what an awesome player the guy was.
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP

(with a noted exception).

LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Ouch Red Sox Nation!
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
  • LarryAllen, who is right is the evidence of what actually happened. The topics have been studied very much, and the evidence on stuff like that is virtually indisputable. Total hits is a very poor measurement of how good a player is. Mantle is far from overrated, and Buckner is certainly not underrated(in fact he is usually overrated because of his high hit total). He is also overrated because of a lack of strikeouts(people overinflate the value of not striking out as well).

Total hits may be a tool to look at, but its level of effectiveness is best compared to a pocket knife saw, whereas there are other methods that are like power saws. Yeah, you can use the pocket knife saw, but it doesn't do much good image

Larry, yes, most fans do evaluate wrong. When you say 200 hits is simple for a great hitter, that is an example. A guy like Buckner may have swung his way to 200 hits, but don't disregard all the tap outs to second that came with striving just to make contact all the time.

The two best hitters from post WWII, TED WILLIAMS AND MICKEY MANTLE, never got 200 hits. You are saying it is easy for the great hitters to get 200 hits, yet the absolute best two(using their prime 12 years), never got 200 hits, and were mostly never close. That should tell you something about the validity of your statement and assumption on the value of total hits. Yes, baseball fans do have a lot to learn, and I'm not saying that harshly.

As for Bonds, IF you totally disregard the enhancement factor, then he is worthy to be mentioned in the top 10. But obviously, one can't just disregard the enhancement factor. Bonds career path before enhancements(and expansion) was not a top 10 player, but it was a high level HOF path.

P.S. Bonds averaged about ONE hit per game. Looking at his career, playing 162 every single season would still have netted him ZERO 200 hit seasons.

• Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
    indisputable.

Ok. Well if it's "indisputable" I will just listen to whatever you post about who the best players are, what stats matter, etc.... Thanks for setting me straight! I will also advise anybody that tries to create a dispute that it is "indisputable." Sort of like the 10 comandments, it has been proclaimed by skinpinch, "the two best hitters from post WWII, TED WILLIAMS AND MICKEY MANTLE." Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds? NO. Skinpinch says it IS Ted and Mickey. I am sorry for disputing. image

P.S. I think the discussion was talking about greatest "players" not just greatest "hitters". Who ARE the 10 greatest players with indisputable support?