Home Sports Talk
Options

Funny ebay auction! royals fan..

kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Phillies fan would never do this! (although sometimes we might think about it - LOL)
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Take away the 1985 Series (which was a controversial win anyway), and the Royals have given me nothing but misery, pain, and anguish.

LOL

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    In a recent interview, George Brett has denied EVER playing for the Royals. So has Willie Wilson, Bret Saberhagen, and that guy who used to always have a toothpick in his mouth, I forget his name.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    U.L Washington.

The Royals at one time were a great franchise. Between 76 and 86 they were perhaps second to none.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In a recent interview, .....and that guy who used to always have a toothpick in his mouth, I forget his name. >>

That would be U.L. Washington.

Now, what about Harmon Killebrew?

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>U.L Washington.

The Royals at one time were a great franchise. Between 76 and 86 they were perhaps second to none.

Steve >>

They had some good pitching with Gubiza and their reliever Quesenberry. Ok, now I am showing my age..LOL!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harmon Killebrew has only expressed one regret that I am aware of, that is not retiring from the Twins.

I don't really blame him, or any other athlete for hanging around for an extra year or two, It must be tough to quit playing a game that you love.

I remember being furious at Calvin Griffith for releasing him.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This brings up an interesting point; do we really 'choose' who we root for? I live in Detroit, so I have a low level allegiance to our teams here, but that switch gets flipped from time to time and it seems like I have nothing to do with it.

Examples:

I was so pumped up about the Flyers/Sabres game last night that I've become an official Sabre fan until they either win the Cup or are eliminated from the playoffs. If they play the Wings in the final I feel pretty confident (but not 100% certain) that I will be pulling for Briere and Co.

The Clippers became my second favorite team in the NBA about 5 years ago (slightly before the Elton Brand era), and if the Pistons played them I'd really be torn (hey, the Pistons won two years ago).

I usually 'like' the Steelers, but for some reason after the Denver game last year I started to hate them, and actively pulled for the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. This despite the facts that a) I've never given a good goddamn about the Seahawks since about 1980, b) I have always had an irrational dislike for Steve Largent, and c) I'm a huge Jerome Bettis fan, since he's from Detroit and a great ambassador for bowling.

After further reflection I can only find a couple immutable 'truths' when it comes to my sports fandom.

1) I loathe the Celtics, Duke basketball and anything related to the Florida State Seminoles athletic program. I can't see this changing.
    2) I will never root for the Canucks as long as the Sedin twins play for them.
    3) I cannot imagine the circumstances under which I would not root for either the Tigers or Lions.

Is anyone else similarly afflicted?