Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Susan B Anthony Dollar? Ugliest Coin Ever?

So, I get back in touch with a coin buddy of mine and you guessed it, he has every freaking variety of what must be the ugliest coin ever..........

So, Yes or No? Is this coin the ugliest ever?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eunice Shriver
  • Options
    psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭

It also was not good for visually impared people because it is almost the like a quarter. A good friend of mine is visually impared and he did not like the SBA.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eunice Shriver >>

and any coin minted with a family member of hers.........image
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It also was not good for visually impared people because it is almost the like a quarter. A good friend of mine is visually impared and he did not like the SBA. >>

He just wasn't trying. I am not visually impaired, yet have no problem pulling a SBA out of a pocket mixed with quarters. The key is the eagle on the reverse -- the relief of the eagle is easily feelable.

Nonetheless, it is an exceedingly ugly coin.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even close to the ugliest...not even the ugliest dollar ever. The Morgan and the Sacie both FAR out-ugly the SBA.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    OK, here we are 10 votes deep and 80% state that the SBA Dollar is not the ugliest....I am scared.....Please God dont post the ugliest if you think Susy is cute......
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Ike dollar for me wins the prize - a big bald guy, on a big round coin...
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not visually impaired, yet have no problem pulling a SBA out of a pocket mixed with quarters. The key is the eagle on the reverse -- the relief of the eagle is easily feelable. >>

I would suggest that having to differentiate the denominations by feeling the relief of the eagle is slightly cumbersome.

Edited to add that Eunice Shriver is the ugliest coin of all time, and likely will retain that honor until the James Brown 'Hardest Working Man in Show Business' commemorative is introduced.

• Options

<< <i>Eunice Shriver >>

Then maybe a Kennedy proofimage
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Now arent you glad you asked?image However that old girl claims some high prices in high end holders.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>Not even close to the ugliest...not even the ugliest dollar ever. The Morgan and the Sacie both FAR out-ugly the SBA. >>

Okay, the obverse of the Sac is pretty ugly, but at least it's a golden color, so it's got that aesthetic appeal. I'll grant you that the Sac is at least a close second to the SBA for Ugliest Con Ever.

But the Morgan??? That's on the complete other end of the spectrum! The Morgan is popularly put right up there with the Saint as the most beautiful U.S. coin. What are you thinking?? image

I gave my 6-year old nephew a Sac on Sunday. (I'm trying to turn him into a collector, but I want to wait until his birthday to give him the GW Commem Half I bought for him.) He looked at it, asked what it was (I guess he's not familiar with reading coins yet) and put it in his pocket. I told him to be careful not to spend it like a quarter (although after I thought about it, it would probably be okay to put it in a vending machine, as a machine would be able to accept it.)

IMO, Sacs at least have the benefit of being a different color, thus being a little special. (Although, sometimes I get jaded and think of it more as a Chuck E. Cheese token.) The SBAs just look like quarters with Washington replaced by a woman beaten repeatedly with an Ugly Stick.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979

<< <i>Eunice Shriver >>

Agree totally. That's one coin that needs a bag over it.

Susan B. is a dog too but just not the winner of ugliest. Both of those chicks give me a hard-off.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    If he is visually impaired, it must suck having friends and family and strangers mistakingly give you a dollar when you thought it was a quarter.

Seriously, I can see how that would be a problem.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not even close to the ugliest...not even the ugliest dollar ever. The Morgan and the Sacie both FAR out-ugly the SBA. >>

Okay, the obverse of the Sac is pretty ugly, but at least it's a golden color, so it's got that aesthetic appeal. I'll grant you that the Sac is at least a close second to the SBA for Ugliest Con Ever.

But the Morgan??? That's on the complete other end of the spectrum! The Morgan is popularly put right up there with the Saint as the most beautiful U.S. coin. What are you thinking?? image

I gave my 6-year old nephew a Sac on Sunday. (I'm trying to turn him into a collector, but I want to wait until his birthday to give him the GW Commem Half I bought for him.) He looked at it, asked what it was (I guess he's not familiar with reading coins yet) and put it in his pocket. I told him to be careful not to spend it like a quarter (although after I thought about it, it would probably be okay to put it in a vending machine, as a machine would be able to accept it.)

IMO, Sacs at least have the benefit of being a different color, thus being a little special. (Although, sometimes I get jaded and think of it more as a Chuck E. Cheese token.) The SBAs just look like quarters with Washington replaced by a woman beaten repeatedly with an Ugly Stick. >>

I concur.

Actually, I have stated earlier that the SBA portrait reminds me of a bitter divorcee whose face has been set on fire, put out with an axe while she chewed on a live wasp. At least, IMO
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I voted yes. But the truth is I really just don't like the size and that may well be what irks any one that hates that coin. I've spent them as quarters and recieved them as quarters in change. The USMint should be sued for this error in sizing.
    Carl
  • Options
    I liked the size of the dollars pre-SBA. I think you've got to make the dollars big to really make them distinguishable from everything else. When was the last time you mistook a half for a quarter? I suspect that the government caved to vending machine manufacturers who didn't want to install larger slots on their machines. I mean, I know nobody's going to hand over Ikes ot fill their tank or buy groceries, but I have enough faith in humanity to believe that they'd spend one in a vending machine to avoid having to deal with the stupid bill feeders that reject the fragile paper stuff at any opportunity.
    If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Ugliest regular issue, SBA.

Ugliest overall, Eunice commem.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Ugliest circulating coin definately with the SAC Dollar behind it.....

Very close with the Shiver coin overall, I refuse to look at them closer to decide.....image
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Oh yeah...

Worst US coin ever
    Bottom Feeder collector, Happy collector of Moderns
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, I have stated earlier that the SBA portrait reminds me of a bitter divorcee whose face has been set on fire, put out with an axe while she chewed on a live wasp. At least, IMO >>

Yeah, but Auntie Eunice looks her face is still on fire and she's looking at an SBA dollar!
  • Options

<< <i>I would suggest that having to differentiate the denominations by feeling the relief of the eagle is slightly cumbersome. >>

I don't disagree. I'm merely pointing out that once you get the "feel", it's very easy to distinguish quarters from SBAs. A sightless person shouldn't have trouble with it, since so much of their world is experienced through touch anyway. Still, the Sackie is an improvement over the SBA in every way.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

IMO, Sacs at least have the benefit of being a different color, thus being a little special. (Although, sometimes I get jaded and think of it more as a Chuck E. Cheese token.) The SBAs just look like quarters with Washington replaced by a woman beaten repeatedly with an Ugly Stick. >>

Morgans are popularly collected, yes. But, not because of any beauty--merely because of availability combined with decades of marketing. As for the Sac allegedly having its golden color going for it that is one of the things that I most dislike about it. Actually, its reverse isn't horrible, but the ugly obverse along with its puke yellow color easily overcome the benefits of the reverse.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    I really don't understand how people can say the Sacagawea dollar is ugly. I mean, c'mon -- Randy'L is a hottie!

imageimageimage
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Eunice Shriver >>

I 2nd that...... imageimageimage

TC71

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Eunice Shriver >>

and any coin minted with a family member of hers.........image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Matron Head large, which were introduced in 1816, are pretty ugly. At least Suzie has the Apollo moon landing design on the reverse, which was pretty cool IMO. The Matron Head only had a utilitarian "ONE CENT," wreath and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" on the reverse.

Other less than handsome coins include the late date Bust Half Dollars, the lady with no cheekbones who appeared on the Liberty Head gold coins (The $5 gold was worst IMO) and as others have said, Eunice Kennedy Schriver.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To each his own but the SBA isn't even close to the ugliest US coin ever. Look at some
    of the nazi coins other 18th and 19th century minors. They almost look like they weren't
    planned at all and the die cutter just worked from scratch. The reverse of the SBA is a
    very attractive design to my eye representing some very lofty ideals. It is a product of
    the age it was designed (1970). The obverse is about as good as can be expected con-
    sidering the restraints placed on the designer and the actual appearance of the subject.

There were a few photos of Anthony where she looked almost handsome but they chose
    one from later in her life. The family insisted that they not pretty her up for this coin. Con-
    sidering the politics which resulted in this coin it's a wonder it wasn't much worse by mak-
    ing her pretty and putting her in more modern dress.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Obverse of a 1793 Chain cent is pretty homely...
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Obverse of a 1793 Chain cent is pretty homely... >>

Yea, but she has character that stems from rustic charm. In 1793, the amateur die sinkers who were working at the U.S. mint could not do any better. In 1979 one would certainly hope that those who design could do better.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ledzep87ledzep87 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I would say the Susan B. is ONE of the ugliest. In my opinion, the Susan B dollar, JFK half and the 2005 Westward Journey nickels are all in the same class.

And DO NOT forget that ugly POS Morgan dollar!

Just kidding....about the Morgan!! image
    Great transaction with: Relaxn, Collectorcoins, OKCC
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>Morgans are popularly collected, yes. But, not because of any beauty--merely because of availability combined with decades of marketing. As for the Sac allegedly having its golden color going for it that is one of the things that I most dislike about it. Actually, its reverse isn't horrible, but the ugly obverse along with its puke yellow color easily overcome the benefits of the reverse. >>

........image......Have you no culture ..SIR.. and appreciation for genteel women ....!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>Morgans are popularly collected, yes. But, not because of any beauty--merely because of availability combined with decades of marketing. As for the Sac allegedly having its golden color going for it that is one of the things that I most dislike about it. Actually, its reverse isn't horrible, but the ugly obverse along with its puke yellow color easily overcome the benefits of the reverse. >>

When you talk about availability, you have to consider all the coins that are just as readily available, but not nearly as popular. Lincolns, IHCs, SLQs, Mercs (one of my favorite), and Walkers. All of these exist alongside Morgans -- and there should be more of them around. Marketing may be a factor, but marketing only happens once you're already collecting.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I'd readily agree that the Morgan has some stiff competition for the most beautiful coin the U.S. ever made, but I don't understand the aesthetic judgements that go into calling it the ugliest U.S. coin ever made.

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    There are many state quarters that are WAY worse than the SBA.. c
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eunice Shriver >>

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Ah yes, the Hagatha Dollar, as I like to call it! image

Ken
  • Options
    RWRW Posts: 485

<< <i>Ike dollar for me wins the prize - a big bald guy, on a big round coin... >>

Yep, I think the Ike is pretty friggin ugly myself.
  • Options
    OK, nearly a third of you agree that this coin was beaten by the ugly stick! YES!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, I have stated earlier that the SBA portrait reminds me of a bitter divorcee whose face has been set on fire, put out with an axe while she chewed on a live wasp. At least, IMO >>

Yeah, but Auntie Eunice looks her face is still on fire and she's looking at an SBA dollar! >>

I agree that if being Ugly was a sin, Ms Shriver would be holding Satans Scepter. However, As to the total coin, the shriver coin has a redeeming revers (THANK GOD). Come on, Susan looks like she was beaten like a rented pack mule.........
  • Options
    I am sad to see she is losing the vote, but happy to see that people care enough TO VOTE.

I never thought she would get any attention at all and as they say "no press is bad press".

I think the SBA is one of the ugliest modern coins, but there have been far worse in history.
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options

After reading all these posts, I took my stash of SBAs out to the back yard and beat them severely with a lead pipe!! Strange thing is, they didn't get any uglyer!! image
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chain cent, despite being a classic, is far from a looker.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>After reading all these posts, I took my stash of SBAs out to the back yard and beat them severely with a lead pipe!! Strange thing is, they didn't get any uglyer!! image >>

I wonder what the neighbors were thinking............... image.............!!!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>After reading all these posts, I took my stash of SBAs out to the back yard and beat them severely with a lead pipe!! Strange thing is, they didn't get any uglyer!! image >>

I wonder what the neighbors were thinking............... image.............!!!!! >>

Next door neighbor lady yelled out the window "Leave those girls alone!" I told her to come out and see the SBAs that were receiving such a beating. She did..............then took the pipe and beat them some herself!! image
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so the SBA is ugly, but here's an especially UGLY SBA (PCGS G4):

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, so the SBA is ugly, but here's an especially UGLY SBA (PCGS G4):

image >>

the HORROR the HORROR........image
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    actually i think we have a case where the more worn coin looks better than the Bu one here.image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can someone post a coronet type gold coin ?
    I think that is the ugliest face on any coin since 1795.

Granted, Susan B Anthony is no prom queen but that coronet head is way too ugly to be on gold. At least Susan B was relegated to cheaper metal.
  • Options
    This forum rules!!

Here is a llittle history behind the poll I initiated. WAAAAAAAAAY back in 1979, My Frank Gasparro sent me an autographed letter as I was one of the few who awaited the release of the SBA dollar.

(The letter and coin were stolen but, I caught the thief and beat them with a rusty claw hammer after duct taping them to a chair.)

Hey, I thought this could be like some Euro issue coins and be monster heavy or have some distingushed relief. (Talk about being naive)

BUT, here I am, an owner of a 1979 Proof set because my old man collected some Proofs and I would not part with the set for all of its massive 9 dollar value no matter what.

I did however wish to convey a thanks to all of you as it is nice to be in a true collectors community where this sort of minutae is discussed. Here is a trivia for you folks...Anybody out there recall the idea of coloring the SBA to solve the size issue? Talk about BIG DRUGS at the Mint.
  • Options
    TTT

In light of ugly coins being discussed. A poll.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By far... The worst ever...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file